I Have No Clue Why the DVR-112D Is Slow

Hi All, About three weeks ago I bought a Pioneer DVR-112D burner. It was suggested to me that I check the firmware updates, which I did.

The burner works well, but read disks slowly. It also was suggested to me that I purchase an 18" Ultra ATA/IDE 80 wire cable to obtain maximum results from the Pioneer burner.

I got the cable yesterday and installed it this morning. A simple matter of swapping cables with no problems.

I proceeded to make backups of 2 “Curb Your Enthusiasm” discs. The total time on each disc is three hours and 15 minutes. It took 23 minutes to read disc number 1 and 7 minutes to write it.

Disc number two took 29 minutes to read and 7 minutes to write. I used Maxell media with the speed set at 16X on Clone and AnyDvd set to maximum speed.

I am completely baffled at the extreme length of time it took the DVR-112D to read each disc. I was under the impression that the Ultra cable was going to speed up the reading of discs considerably. However, it appears that the time it took to read each disc slowed down.

As I mentioned before I am not a tech and my knowledge about this problem is very limited. Both backups play perfectly in my DVD players with no problems. I would appreciate any help getting the DVR-112D running faster. I read in Clone that the Rev. is 1.22.

Thanks for your help.:confused:

Hi :slight_smile:
As you don’t mention it.
Is your 112 set to Master?
Pioneer is very particular in this respect.
As for the AnyDVD setting, I don’t believe it has any effect on Pioneer drives.
You could do a TRT (TransferRateTest) using CD/DVDSpeed. Also a Burst Rate test too. That might give an insight into the drives read performance.
As for burn times. Maybe the Pioneers detecting the media as not suitable for 16x write. The time for 16x should be around 5 mins, if not a tad quicker.
Apart from the above you’ve checked DMA too?

@ walker1,

Suggest reviewing the CD Freaks Pioneer DVD Forum Read First posting titled “Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here” for the latest Pioneer Firmwares. Recently Pioneer released version 1.24 Firmware for the Pioneer DVR-112D.

Have you confirmed that your Pioneer DVR-112D is operating in the Ultra DMA Mode 4 (http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm)?

Suggest in CloneDVD not to select the “Maximum Speed” Writing option but to use a particular Burning speed slightly slower than the Media rated speed. Also in AnyDVD do not use the “Speed Control” option. In AnyDVD de-select (do not use) “Enable Speed Control”.

In your CD Freaks Pioneer DVD Burner Forum posting titled “Bought DVR-112D 2 Weeks Ago” you made comments concerning slow Ripping/Read problems. In that posting I suggested that you review the CD Freaks Pioneer DVD Burner Forum Read First posting titled “MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for Pioneer DVD-Writers” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/mediacodespeededit-support-pioneer-dvd-writers-153213) and note that the Media Code Speed Edit (MCSE) tool is able to patch Pioneer DVR-112D Firmware to remove the Firmware RipLock to increase the Ripping/Reading speed of your Pioneer DVR-112D. Perchance did you apply the RipLock patch to your Pioneer DVR-112D v1.22 Firmware?

Suggest obtaining the newer more current Pioneer DVR-112D version 1.24 Firmware and using the Media Code Speed Edit (MCSE) tool apply the RipLock Patch to the Pioneer DVR-112D v1.24 Firmware and then flash your Pioneer DVR-112D with the RipLock patched version 1.24 Firmware.

The RipLock patched Pioneer DVR-112D v1.24 Firmware should increase the Ripping/Reading speed of your Pioneer DVD-112D DVD Burner.

Regards,
bjkg

I don’t think the FW update will solve his problem as it sure sounds like his drive is in the PIO mode instead of the DMA mode :cool:

[QUOTE=zebadee;1952483]Hi :slight_smile:
As you don’t mention it.
Is your 112 set to Master?
Pioneer is very particular in this respect.
As for the AnyDVD setting, I don’t believe it has any effect on Pioneer drives.
You could do a TRT (TransferRateTest) using CD/DVDSpeed. Also a Burst Rate test too. That might give an insight into the drives read performance.
As for burn times. Maybe the Pioneers detecting the media as not suitable for 16x write. The time for 16x should be around 5 mins, if not a tad quicker.
Apart from the above you’ve checked DMA too?[/QUOTE]

Hi, The Ultra cable is the same as the original one with a middle connector for the slave drive & the end connector for the master. I’m sorry, but I don’t know what a TRT or Burst Rate test is or how to perform them. What is the DMA? The write speed is good I think. It’s the read speed that is super slow. Thanks. :confused:

[QUOTE=bjkg;1952672]@ walker1,

Suggest reviewing the CD Freaks Pioneer DVD Forum Read First posting titled “Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here” for the latest Pioneer Firmwares. Recently Pioneer released version 1.24 Firmware for the Pioneer DVR-112D.

Have you confirmed that your Pioneer DVR-112D is operating in the Ultra DMA Mode 4 (http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm)?

Suggest in CloneDVD not to select the “Maximum Speed” Writing option but to use a particular Burning speed slightly slower than the Media rated speed. Also in AnyDVD do not use the “Speed Control” option. In AnyDVD de-select (do not use) “Enable Speed Control”.

In your CD Freaks Pioneer DVD Burner Forum posting titled “Bought DVR-112D 2 Weeks Ago” you made comments concerning slow Ripping/Read problems. In that posting I suggested that you review the CD Freaks Pioneer DVD Burner Forum Read First posting titled “MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for Pioneer DVD-Writers” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/mediacodespeededit-support-pioneer-dvd-writers-153213) and note that the Media Code Speed Edit (MCSE) tool is able to patch Pioneer DVR-112D Firmware to remove the Firmware RipLock to increase the Ripping/Reading speed of your Pioneer DVR-112D. Perchance did you apply the RipLock patch to your Pioneer DVR-112D v1.22 Firmware?

Suggest obtaining the newer more current Pioneer DVR-112D version 1.24 Firmware and using the Media Code Speed Edit (MCSE) tool apply the RipLock Patch to the Pioneer DVR-112D v1.24 Firmware and then flash your Pioneer DVR-112D with the RipLock patched version 1.24 Firmware.

The RipLock patched Pioneer DVR-112D v1.24 Firmware should increase the Ripping/Reading speed of your Pioneer DVD-112D DVD Burner.

Regards,
bjkg[/QUOTE]

Hi bjkg, I have to go out of town until Sunday afternoon and will e mail you when I get home. I appreciate your help. Dan

DMA = Direct Memory Acess do a search for resetting the DMA if the burnrer has went back to the PIO mode it will be as slow as a snail, the 112 needs to be in the DMA mode and also the ultra DMA 4 mode, Here is the link and the fastest way is to just click where it tells you at the top of the page http://winhlp.com/node/10

[QUOTE=Jimbo;1953879]DMA = Direct Memory Acess do a search for resetting the DMA if the burnrer has went back to the PIO mode it will be as slow as a snail, the 112 needs to be in the DMA mode and also the ultra DMA 4 mode, Here is the link and the fastest way is to just click where it tells you at the top of the page http://winhlp.com/node/10[/QUOTE]

Jimbo, I just went to the site & did the check- the report had nothing to report. Other ideas?

[QUOTE=walker1;1953809]Hi bjkg, I have to go out of town until Sunday afternoon and will e mail you when I get home. I appreciate your help. Dan[/QUOTE]

Hi, I tried to go onto the “Go Soft” page- Vista told me it doesn’t exist. I went to the patched firmware link page- It says that I MIGHT damage my drive and/or VOID the warranty.

What do you suggest I do now? I justed burned another “Curb Your Enthusiasm” disc- It took about 30 minutes to read & 7 minutes to write a PERFECT playing backup. I don’t get this 30 min. bus. with this burner.

[QUOTE=Jimbo;1953879]DMA = Direct Memory Acess do a search for resetting the DMA if the burnrer has went back to the PIO mode it will be as slow as a snail, the 112 needs to be in the DMA mode and also the ultra DMA 4 mode, Here is the link and the fastest way is to just click where it tells you at the top of the page http://winhlp.com/node/10[/QUOTE]

Jimbo, I went there & was told there are no other changes avaliable to change on this burner. What next?

[QUOTE=walker1;1953809]Hi bjkg, I have to go out of town until Sunday afternoon and will e mail you when I get home. I appreciate your help. Dan[/QUOTE]

Hi, I went to the Pioneer Firmware D-load site- It says I already have the file named: A0013431.124 & I didn’t see anything else for this burner. What next?

Jimbo, I went there & was told there are no other changes avaliable to change on this burner. What next?

Is there anyone on this forum that has this Pioneer burner with this problem? If so, does anyone know how to tell me in simple language if this burner is defective or why it’s so SLOW on reading every movie I put in it? It works well, but I’m not happy with 30 minute “reads”.

I read the original invoice from Newegg & it says to go to: www.pioneerelectronics.com/hs/ for an important patch. I went there only to be told that the page does NOT exist. Is this the kind of customer support Pioneer “gives” to their customers? If I can’t get the answer(s) I need from someone this burner is going back where it came from with a horrible review. Surely someone must know what’s going on @ pioneer.

[QUOTE=walker1;1955806]Is there anyone on this forum that has this Pioneer burner with this problem? If so, does anyone know how to tell me in simple language if this burner is defective or why it’s so SLOW on reading every movie I put in it? It works well, but I’m not happy with 30 minute “reads”.

[B]I read the original invoice from Newegg & it says to go to: www.pioneerelectronics.com/hs/ for an important patch. I went there only to be told that the page does NOT exist. Is this the kind of customer support Pioneer “gives” to their customers?[/B] If I can’t get the answer(s) I need from someone this burner is going back where it came from with a horrible review. Surely someone must know what’s going on @ pioneer.[/QUOTE]

Since when is Newegg == Pioneer? When they tell you bollocks you can’t make Pioneer responsible for that.
If you cannot properly install the drive/burner, then please don’t judge even about it.
Follow a link in my sig to ENABLE DMA MODE.

@ walker1,

I believe in my postings in this thread I have provided you with a valid working link for Official Pioneer DVR-112D version 1.24 Firmware (http://club.cdfreaks.com/1947787-post23.html), and a valid working link for the MediaCodeSpeedEdit tool (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/mediacodespeededit-support-pioneer-dvd-writers-153213) which will patch Pioneer DVR-112D Firmware to remove the Pioneer DVR-112D RipLock to increase the Ripping/Reading speed of your Pioneer DVR-112D DVD Burner.

Nowhere in this Forum Posting has any Forum Member suggested turning to NewEgg for Official Pioneer DVR-112D version 1.24 Firmware. NewEgg positively doesn’t enter in you 1.24 Firmware/Ultra DMA Mode 4/of RipLock problem. Please do not attempt to blame one of the USA’s best On-Line retailers for you failure install version 1.24 Firmware/enabling Ultra DMA Mode 4/removing Firmware RipLock when ALL the information for correcting your problem was provided to you by Forum Members in this thread days ago.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Pioneer DVR-112D DVD Burner. In fact it is one of the BEST DVD Burners available.

You are misinformed. Your “30 Minutes” is Not “Read Time”. This “30 Minutes” is the Total Time the CloneDVD software program is “Ripping/Reading” your original Commercial DVD Move Titles AND also “Transcoding Compressing” the original Commercial DVD Move Title. Many things can effect this total “Ripping/Reading” and “Transcoding Compressing” time. If you have both your Pioneer DVR-112D DVD Burner and your Computer HardDrive installed on the same IDE Channel can drastically slow the total “Ripping/Reading” and Transcoding Compressing” time. HardDrive disk fragmentation can adversely effect the total “Ripping/Reading” and “Transcoding Compressing” time. Excessive background MultiTasking during the DVD Movie BackUp process can adversely effect the total “Ripping/Reading” and “Transcoding Compressing” time. Various Computer Software Program can complete with AnyDVD-CloneDVD software programs and adversely affect their performance. So don’t go off half-cocked and blame your “30 Minutes” “Read Time” performance on your newly installed Pioneer DVR-112D and until you completely and thoroughly investigate all the other numerous possibilities.

Regards,
bjkg

Taking aside the compression time, could this also be an effect of a rip speed lock?

I’d be asking if the CPU is at 100% during the process, if it its, its compression, if its not, it could be the rip lock being a bottleneck.

[QUOTE=chef;1955824]Since when is Newegg == Pioneer? When they tell you bollocks you can’t make Pioneer responsible for that.
If you cannot properly install the drive/burner, then please don’t judge even about it.
Follow a link in my sig to ENABLE DMA MODE.[/QUOTE]

Chef, I was unable to get in touch with N-egg. I did get through to Pioneer’s tech support & I explained in detail what the burner is doing. He said it is defective as it is taking at least twice as long to read movies. I went to the Enable DMA Mode page & it only talks about XP. I have Vista Home premium, but I will try to find what is referenced in my cont. panel.

I have no problem with what you are saying, but when I can’t get in touch with anyone I get frustrated. I’ll let you know how I make out later.

[QUOTE=chef;1955824]Since when is Newegg == Pioneer? When they tell you bollocks you can’t make Pioneer responsible for that.
Follow a link in my sig to ENABLE DMA MODE.[/QUOTE]

Hi, OK- 1) I went to device mgr. 2) Right clicked on ch. “0”. 3) Current transfer mode is in Ultra DMA 4 with “Enable DMA” box checked. There is NO drop down box here. I also checked for updates for drivers and Windows said all were current.

Other thoughts??

[QUOTE=bjkg;1955892]@ walker1,

I believe in my postings in this thread I have provided you with a valid working link for Official Pioneer DVR-112D version 1.24 Firmware (http://club.cdfreaks.com/1947787-post23.html), and a valid working link for the MediaCodeSpeedEdit tool (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/mediacodespeededit-support-pioneer-dvd-writers-153213) which will patch Pioneer DVR-112D Firmware to remove the Pioneer DVR-112D RipLock to increase the Ripping/Reading speed of your Pioneer DVR-112D DVD Burner.

Nowhere in this Forum Posting has any Forum Member suggested turning to NewEgg for Official Pioneer DVR-112D version 1.24 Firmware. NewEgg positively doesn’t enter in you 1.24 Firmware/Ultra DMA Mode 4/of RipLock problem. Please do not attempt to blame one of the USA’s best On-Line retailers for you failure install version 1.24 Firmware/enabling Ultra DMA Mode 4/removing Firmware RipLock when ALL the information for correcting your problem was provided to you by Forum Members in this thread days ago.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Pioneer DVR-112D DVD Burner. In fact it is one of the BEST DVD Burners available.

You are misinformed. Your “30 Minutes” is Not “Read Time”. This “30 Minutes” is the Total Time the CloneDVD software program is “Ripping/Reading” your original Commercial DVD Move Titles AND also “Transcoding Compressing” the original Commercial DVD Move Title. Many things can effect this total “Ripping/Reading” and “Transcoding Compressing” time. If you have both your Pioneer DVR-112D DVD Burner and your Computer HardDrive installed on the same IDE Channel can drastically slow the total “Ripping/Reading” and Transcoding Compressing” time. HardDrive disk fragmentation can adversely effect the total “Ripping/Reading” and “Transcoding Compressing” time. Excessive background MultiTasking during the DVD Movie BackUp process can adversely effect the total “Ripping/Reading” and “Transcoding Compressing” time. Various Computer Software Program can complete with AnyDVD-CloneDVD software programs and adversely affect their performance. So don’t go off half-cocked and blame your “30 Minutes” “Read Time” performance on your newly installed Pioneer DVR-112D and until you completely and thoroughly investigate all the other numerous possibilities.

Regards,
bjkg[/QUOTE]

bjkg, I tried to do what you suggested. It’s obvious that I am not grasping what I’m reading. I went to the firmware site & when trying to download it my pc told me I already did it. I tried to redo the firmware, but I got a black box-then a message saying “Target not found”. 2) Regarding the MCSE- this is over my head & if I screw up I’m in for an even bigger mess than I currently have.

So, why am I having this difficulty with a drive that simply plugs in & plays? Why did I install the Ultra cable? It did nothing.

Pioneer tech support told me if the unit reads, writes, & produces a perfect “burn” and the read speed is about 30 mins. the unit is defective. I know nothing more about this. It appears that having Vista is not helping me at all as most info is for XP. I did, however check the DMA mode and it is set @ Ultra DMA 4, “Enable DMA” is checked off in the Current mode box, and that’s as far as I have gone.

I know you are trying to be helpful, but you are light years ahead of me regarding this situation. Are you telling me that the Pioneer tech is wrong & this burner is OK? I will throw in another Curb Your Enth. disc & ck. the read time again. Again. the read time is where the slowness is- not the write time.

Try to tell me in layman’s terms what I am supposed to do & I’ll get it. I am a hands on person who is quite handy, but I am not a tech as I have mentioned before.

This all seems so silly over a simple R & R of an existing drive. Does it make sense to you? The DVR-112D is a likeable drive. I just can’t connect with all the technical info I’m reading. I do appreciate your help. Sorry I’m not getting it. :confused:

@ walker1,

Plug and Play? That term is a figment of Mr. Microsoft’s imagination. ALL Computer devices HAVE to be configured correctly for them to operate at their optimal performance.

If both your Pioneer DVR-112D DVD Burner and your Computer Hard Drive are connected to same IDE Channel your “Ripping/Reading” speed will be substantially slowed down. What IDE Cannel is your Computer Hard Drive connected to? What IDE Channel is your Pioneer DVR-112D connected to?

In your #19 posting you state a device is operating in the Ultra DMA 4 Mode. Are you certain this undisclosed device is in fact your PionerDVR-112D?

The Pioneer DVR-112D has a “RipLock” that limits Ripping/Reading of DVD’s at 6x speed. The MediaCodeSpeedEdit tool removes the RipLock limitation to allow 12x speed Ripping/Reading of DVDs.

Please re-read my #15 posting. It is not your “Read” time that is the problem but it is both your Ripping/Reading AND the CloneDVD Transcodeing/Compression “Total Time” that is your problem. As stated in my #15 posting there are numerous factors that effect the Ripping/Reading and CloneDVD Transcodeing/Compression “Total Time” and suggest seriously looking into the items mentioned in my #15 posting.

Regards,
bjkg