I have been trying for 3 days to burn a dvd with a menu, how do you do it?

vbimport

Hey Everyone,

I am very new at this downloading movies thing, I have downloaded a few movies finally!! (which by the way I am open to suggestions on the best and fastest way to get good movies) and now I am trying to BURN a dvd with a menu.

Here is the story, I got a tv series for my mom but she wants to watch it in the dvd player and tv not in the computer. I want to burn her the full season 1 (aprx 2.5GB) on a dvd with a menu for each episode…

The files are AVI… PLEASE HELP!!

Welcome to the forums burningdvd.

You should be aware that we cannot help with illegal downloads in these forums. Copyright protected material downloaded without permission of the owners falls into the illegal category, though there are some legal download sites, and some (usually very old) tv series that are in public domain. Legal download sites generally require payment, like iTunes, or Amazon.com, and have restrictions on how the video can be used.

Having said that, we usually give people the benefit of a doubt. In that spirit, I’ll give you an answer. AVStoDVD and DVDFlick are two free programs that can convert avi files to dvd-video and let you make menus to select the individual episodes. Don’t try to fit more than about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs of video onto one single layer dvd though, else the quality may degrade too much. TV episodes are normally around 40-42 minutes each, so you are looking at no more than 3 or 4 episodes per disk to maintain optimal quality in the video.

Keryy56, Thank you for reply. I understand when you tell me that I need to convert the AVI to DVD, and I downloaded AVStoDVD. Now to convert a 20min avi clip to dvd was taking almost 2 hours, and I have to convert quiet a few… I am not sure if I am doing it correctly? how long is it supposed to take?

I also burned some avi clips on a dvd with Nero “DVD UDF” I think it was, and only the first clip worked and only on one of my dvd players?

is it possible to burn them into a dvd with out converting (to make it faster)

Thank you again for your help and your patience, I am a newbie!!

Conversion times depend mostly on the speed of your computer, though you can vary how the converter works slightly, to speed things up. In AVStoDVD, once you import your videos, click on the encoder settings (reel icon) like in this 1st picture.

Then, click on the Video tab and unclick the Auto Video Setup box, then set the encoder to HCenc OPV 1 pass. You can also go into the Advanced settings for HC and go to Normal or Fast settings to speed things up a bit more compared to the Best quality setting. All of this reduces the quality slightly, but speeds up the encoding times.

Once you remove the automatic control over the encoder, this means you have to make sure all the settings for your dvd are correct. Wide screen would be 16:9…full screen would be 4:3. If you are in the US, use 720 x 480 resolution, if you are in PAL standards country, use 720 x 576.

Since you have a dvd player that can use avi files directly, you don’t have to convert them at all. Just burn to a disk as data and the player should be able to find all the files.

I would use ImgBurn for this process. If you select the wrong file format for your avi files, it will give you a warning message and ask to correct this for you. ImgBurn is free to use…it has replaced Nero for all my burning needs. www.imgburn.com

Use good media, like Verbatim and burn at a moderate speed…8x or 12x for 16x rated media.

Hi Kerry,

Well as always you are very helpful… I downloaded and installed IMGBURN and in fact it did suggest that i was making a mistake (not knowing really what I was doing :S ) I accepted the suggestion and it worked :smiley: so now my kids are watching the dvd i burnt them on our dvd that can play those files!!

They still want to watch it in the other dvd that does not read those files (divx i think) is converting the .AVI to DVD the only way to burn and watch in the other dvd players?

Thank you for everything Kerry!

Glad to hear you got something working.

DVD players are designed to playback dvd-video for the most part. If your other players cannot handle divx or xivd avi files, then I’m afraid there is no other choice than to convert the files.

I find DVDFlick and AVStoDVD to be perfectly acceptable choices for conversion, but I have fast, multi-core computers. If you don’t mind paying for a conversion program, ConvertXtoDVD is supposed to be one of the fastest at this process.

Hi Kerry,

Well it looks like I spoke too soon and my “small” victory with burning a dvd for my divx/xvid capable dvd player, was incomplete.

only the first 2 video clips work, on all the other clips I get just the sound playing and no image.

Do you know why and how to fix it?

Thanks Kerry

[QUOTE=burningdvd;2493386]Hi Kerry,

Well it looks like I spoke too soon and my “small” victory with burning a dvd for my divx/xvid capable dvd player, was incomplete.

only the first 2 video clips work, on all the other clips I get just the sound playing and no image.

Thanks Kerry[/QUOTE]

I say it here it would be good time to break out the wallet and purchase the movie then you can rip just the movie only. Thus from giving you more headache then your doing now and do what you want so you can watch the movie.

[QUOTE=burningdvd;2493386]Hi Kerry,

Thanks Kerry[/QUOTE]

Offhand, I’d say there is something different in the encoding process used to make these avi files that your particular dvd player doesn’t like. So, you might check them and see if they appear to be any different from the two that work.

Examine them with a free program called MediaInfo. Use the Tree view within MediaInfo and see if you can spot any differences in the specifications of the avi files

You might just have to convert them to dvd video, even if it does take a while.

ConvertXtoDVD is my best friend.

Thanks everyone for all your help, at the moment I cant do anything because my comp crashed :’( please check out my newest post to help me with that …

It is greatly appreciated!