I have a write speed problem/question

I have a 16x Emprex dual cd/dvd drive, however, I don’t want to burn at 16x or higher. On Alcohol 120, the write speed selection offers speeds from 8x up to 48x. Whenever I choose 8x, the burner always writes at 16x anyway. Is my burner locked at that speed? And is there a way to alter the burner to a lower write speed? At one point, my burner was able to burn at 8x, but after trying out Nero (installed it, didn’t like it, uninstalled it), I think something changed but I have no idea what. I did fiddle with Nero’s Drivespeed option when I tried it out but I haven’t been able to get my burner back to its previous state. The Nero program I tried came with the drive when I bought it. Any help would be much appreciated.

It would help if you specify whether you’re burning CD or DVD media, and which particular type of media.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll try to be more specific since I’m not very tech savvy. I’m burning a CDI file (Dreamcast homebrew games) on a Maxell CD-R. When I want to backup my dvds, it’s the same thing. It won’t burn under 16x. I guess I should also state what I’ve tried so far. My cd/dvd drive is one of those drives that does not have a Recording tab in the drive Properties. I’ve already tried everything I could find online from people trying to help with that problem, but none works. So I can’t use that to change the drive speed. I have no clue how I changed it the first time where I was able to burn at 8x.