I have a PC with two SATA leads inside but it won't see a SATA hard drive

vbimport

I have a PC with two SATA leads inside but it won’t see a SATA hard drive. It dates from about 2002 because it states it on the Phoenix BIOS and I’ve tried changing the settings in BIOS, but all I can get is IDE this is despite there being two leads on another part of the board apart from two IDE connectors elsewhere being connected to two SATA connectors so plz help.

[QUOTE=Mark Thompson;2587202]I have a PC with two SATA leads inside but it won’t see a SATA hard drive. It dates from about 2002 because it states it on the Phoenix BIOS and I’ve tried changing the settings in BIOS, but all I can get is IDE this is despite there being two leads on another part of the board apart from two IDE connectors elsewhere being connected to two SATA connectors so plz help.[/QUOTE]

Well first off you need to tell us the make and model of the pc for us to know what pc your talking about???

Most likely the SATA ports are turned off in CMOS/BIOS.

you need to shut the computer completely down and enter setup.

Depending on the make and/or model of the computer this is usually hitting a single key usually escape
or one of the function keys and going through the setup menues to turn the SATA ports on.
This chance to hit that key usually appears on the “Logo page”.

That being said IF you turn them on then the computer will probably expect to see something connected to them
HOW the computer reacts to this again varies on specific make or model.

I know on most Dells i’ll tell you during startup that “drive x not detected” and willl USUALLY continue booting
On others it’ll trigger another chance to enter setup.

On most HPs and Compaq computers it’ll cause a hard stop and REQUIRE you to either enter
setup or accept the new configuiration by hitting the F1 key.

Again this varies model to model.

AD

I agree with what coolcolors said more info is needed on what you have for
anyone to be able to help you out. What kind of PC is it or is it a home built
/ white box PC and which mobo does it have in it.

I know on one of the older Asus A7N8X mobos I had back a few years ago it
had a jumper that you had to set for the two on-board SATA ports to become
active and to be seen in the BIOS setup screen.

I’m sorry I should’ve made a closer inspection by looking at the label on the inside lid where it’s actually the same motherboard as getit29’s so I changed the jumper to enable it where it now goes in to a seperate BIOS screen now seeing it, but not in Windows because it asks to install a RAID controller though it can’t find it however it doesn’t matter about that now as I just want to install Windows on this SATA hard drive and boot from it if I can since I’ve read somewhere you need a boot ROM or is that restricted to PCI cards? The chipset on the board states that it’s a SATALink by Silicon Image and it’s just figuring out now how to install Windows on my SATA hard drive with this computer from scratch then get it to boot from it in to Windows so I guess I just install from a disc.

Follow my advice and read the manual carefully. There are sometimes even special manuals that deal with the Sata controllers.

Michael

I found my custom-made Windows Crystal XP CD-R with RAID support and booted from it with only my SATA hard drive attached on the primary channel then it enabled me to see it, but I’m trying to salvage it which I suspect has a corrupt or bad directory because I’m unable to install Windows on it as there’s already a partition on this hard drive stating that it’s unknown I assume is primary since this is the only one however when I try to delete this partition I get an error stating that it’s unable to access this hard drive. I’ve also tried to install Windows on this partition, but then I get the blue screen of death stating that there was an error with setup and when Windows was first examining this hard drive it took a long time though sometimes it just went straight to the blue screen of death

Try to boot up a Linux cd and see if it finds the drive. You can even try something like UBCD to see if it can be saved, http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I found my boot CD with Partition Magic 8 and most of the time it hangs even after waiting for about an hour on startup, but it managed to get in once or twice. Instead of it having unknown for the partition there are all-question marks which I guess means the same thing so I tried to delete this partition, but it comes up with a #701 error and I tried formatting it though I got something like an error opening file 995. I’ve also tried Killdisk which is also on that link you gave and like the aforementioned program it sees the hard drive, but when it comes to completely deleting the hard drive with the partition it just stays at 0%. I’ve even left it for an hour waiting to see if there’s any progress but still it stays at 0%. Whappo I thank you for trying to help me but maybe it looks like this can’t be saved