I have a ltr 48125w orginal drive no upgrade but is it useful to upgrade vs06

vbimport

i have a ltr 48125w orginal drive
witch w but is it usefull to upgrade
to a vs06 version or vs02??
and what is than the different?

thanks

I would go with VS02…most posts claim it is more stable.

By the way, how fast have you able to burn at? Have you been able to burn 16X CD’s at 40X like some of the other posts claim? If so, did you have SmartBurn enabled? Have you been able to get it to burn to at least 40X with any media at all?

The reason I ask is that I just bought a buddy of mine the same exact burner (LTR 48125W), and he can’t get it to burn faster than 16X. He even tried burning to the blank CD that came with it, but it still only burned at 16X. However, he did not have SmartBurn installed at the time.

Let me know what kind of success you have had with your burner, and what kind of media you have used.

Thanx.

My experience with VS06 was pretty positive so far, using the included liteon cdr disc’s that come with the drives I was able to get a perfect burn @ 48x on a full 700MB of data.

This was just using a burn of random files on my hd that needed backing up anyway. I’ll try it again with the VS02 and see how well that one works. I’ll post a pic of that one here too in a coule minutes.

My experience with VS06 was pretty positive so far, using the included liteon cdr disc’s that come with the drives I was able to get a perfect burn @ 48x on a full 700MB of data.

Are you serious? That’s killer! :bow:

My buddy tried burning with the CDR that came with his new 48125W, and he only got a reading of 16X! He has not been able to get above that.

Did you have SmartBurn installed and active? Do you happen to know what could be causing his burner to burn at such a slow rate seeing that it is fresh out of the box (have used both VS02 and VS06)? What kind of setup do you have, and what OS are you running?

well, I actually have a LTR-40125W with the 48125W VS06 firmware on it, I’ll test the VS02 firmware after posting this reply. SmartBurn was enabled, burning with nero 5.5.9.0
I’m running Windows XP on a Athlon 1.3 OC’d to 1.45ghz on a A7V133 MB.
I burned and read the cd using the burner, havne’t tested reading the cd in my other drives(toshiba 16xdvd(sucks!) and my old plextor 16x burner). I’ll post more pics after the next test.

ok, test done with vs02 firmware, and it reads faster, but does have a few errors this time. here’s the goods.

pic as proof of burning @ 48x in nero

pic of the scan disc using VS02 firmware

again, read and written using the liteon drive and using the same firware to read and write.

Very killer! Did SmartBurn install when you installed Nero from the disk that came with the burner, or was it listed as a separate program on the disk? Or, did you have to download it from Lite-On’s website?

smart burn is built into the liteon drives. It’s simply an option in Nero that can be enabled/disabled but by default is enabled. It is found under the Recorder menu, then click choose recorder.
in the screen, make sure the Liteon drive is highlighted and click the “Options >>” button to expand the window with two more options.
Buffer under run protection should be enabled and should not be able to be changed. SMART-Burn is next to it on the right and shoudl be checked by default. simply uncheck to disable.
edit
Also I reread the first cd I burned and it went through scandisc with zero errors again. This leads me to believe that ZS02 reads better(since it’s faster) but ZS06 writes more accurately. Myself, I’d much prefer to have flawless writing then another 1x read speed or so.

update again!
read the bad cd, and this time 99.90% was read good! 0.10 % bad, only one damaged sector this time, So the ZS06 does read more accurately as well as write more accurately, although a bit slower reading, and not enough to care about to me.

Thanx for the info! Judging from what you said, it should already have SmartBurn enabled. Not sure why his is burning so slow. If you have any thoughts, let me know.

burning slow or reading slow? if it’s burning slow, it’s probably because of low quality media, SMART-Burn reduces burning speed on low quality media to help prevent bad burns.

Actually, he tried burning with the blank CDR that came with the burner (the same one you used to get a perfect 48X), he still only got 16X.

Any other suggestions?

Here are his specs:

Compaq Presario
Intel Celeron 566 MHz Processor with 66MHz system bus
384MB RAM
30 GIG HD 5400 RPM
Win98

Hey LABachlr, Perhaps your friend has too slow of a proccessor installed to beable to burn at 48x speed. Other things that could cause slow burning: Wrong IDE cable, he is running in PIO mode instead of Ultra DMA 2, bad 4 in 1 drivers (only for via motherboards), Slow hard drive(s),or the jumpers are not set right on the burner. Try the burner on its own IDE channel with the 80 pin IDE cable. If all else fails, try it on another computer (Faster one than his) and see if his computer is the bottleneck. I hope this message helps you out. Later
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by CPU Slayer
Hey LABachlr, Perhaps your friend has too slow of a proccessor installed to beable to burn at 48x speed. Other things that could cause slow burning: Wrong IDE cable, he is running in PIO mode instead of Ultra DMA 2, bad 4 in 1 drivers (only for via motherboards), Slow hard drive(s),or the jumpers are not set right on the burner. Try the burner on its own IDE channel with the 80 pin IDE cable. If all else fails, try it on another computer (Faster one than his) and see if his computer is the bottleneck. I hope this message helps you out. Later
:rolleyes:

Kool. Thanx, CPU Slayer. I will check out all of the above.:cool:

Just so you guys know, I was able to fix the problem thanx to CPU Slayer. :bow:

The fix is at the bottom of the following thread:

Answer:cool:

Originally posted by FalcomPSX
[B]ok, test done with vs02 firmware, and it reads faster, but does have a few errors this time. here’s the goods.

pic as proof of burning @ 48x in nero

pic of the scan disc using VS02 firmware

again, read and written using the liteon drive and using the same firware to read and write. [/B]

Hey FalcomPSX, could you tell me how you capture those images from your burning program to show everyone your results? I’m using Win2k if that helps.

I’m having the same problem you did with it not buring up to its potential. I have everything set write, but i can’t figure out how to turn/check the DMA setting…can any of you guys point me in the right direction? thanks!

The 1st Picture titled “cdspeed:Scan disk”

Where to watch this picture? is it from nero or which program can check the cd? i`d be happy bout a link!
THX Jens

It’s a program that is a part of Nero:

START>PROGRAMS>ahead NERO>NERO TOOLKIT>NERO CD SPEED

All you do is pop in a blank CD, and run this program, and it will tell you how fast you can burn that media at. It will not write anything to the CD when it performs this test, so you still will be able to use the CD. :cool:

vs06 was very unstable for me and crashed my computer twice before i reverted back to vs02. i have had more luck with 02 also. no errors on discs…ever and ive burned about 35 so far since i got this drive 1 week ago

Originally posted by LABachlr
[B]It’s a program that is a part of Nero:

START>PROGRAMS>ahead NERO>NERO TOOLKIT>NERO CD SPEED

All you do is pop in a blank CD, and run this program, and it will tell you how fast you can burn that media at. It will not write anything to the CD when it performs this test, so you still will be able to use the CD. :cool: [/B]

THX!:smiley:
I haven`t Nero installed in the moment unfortunately.
Is it content in the main prog or do i have to download this extra.
If its automatically installed with the main prog just reply a grin!

THX jens!