I have a liteon20a4p. What speed should I burn cd-r's for archival?

I just got into downloading bootleg live concerts in flac big time this past week. got over 30gb of the stuff. i want to convert it all to .wav and burn it to cd-r’s. what’s the best speed? i only burn dvd media @8x even though my burner can do much faster cuz that gives me the best quality scans. could you guys save me the hassle of testing and tell me what’s a good speed to burn cd-r’s at?

[QUOTE=maxxjulie;1971712]I just got into downloading bootleg live concerts in flac big time this past week. got over 30gb of the stuff. i want to convert it all to .wav and burn it to cd-r’s. what’s the best speed? i only burn dvd media @8x even though my burner can do much faster cuz that gives me the best quality scans. could you guys save me the hassle of testing and tell me what’s a good speed to burn cd-r’s at?[/QUOTE]

The correct answer is, “It depends.”

Another way of answering would be, “The speed which gives the best results with your media on your burner.”

I note that you did not tell us:

a) what burner you are using
b) what media you are using

For a general, rule-of-thumb, assuming decent media and a decent burner, 16x.

OOPS: You did mention Liteon 20A4P in the title, my mistake for overlooking that.

Most modern burners produce best results at about 16x - 32x with CD-R media. For CD Audio I prefer 16x on most drives, because it tends to minimize jitter. On a few drives 24x is slightly better.

Using high-quality CD-R media is also important for best results, especially for archival. I would use Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim (Super) AZO CD-R media. Please ask if you want more detail.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1972137]Most modern burners produce best results at about 16x - 32x with CD-R media. For CD Audio I prefer 16x on most drives, because it tends to minimize jitter. On a few drives 24x is slightly better.

Using high-quality CD-R media is also important for best results, especially for archival. I would use Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim (Super) AZO CD-R media. Please ask if you want more detail.[/QUOTE]

So it’s the same as dvd media. Those two brands and at medium speed. I wish I could buy these brands in stores but they all want to carry the crap maxell type brands. supermediastore will have to do i guess.

If you find Maxell Pro CD-R it will be excellent Taiyo Yuden media. Other Maxell CD-R will be something else (not as good).

thanks. you’ve been most helpful.

i just called my local staples and they have 3 25 packs of maxell pro cd-r’s in stock. woohooo! i’ve been reading up on these and everyone says they are better than ty silvers cuz they are ty’s with a scratch resistant surface. so perfect.

Seems this thread got a little off track, so I’ve given it a bit of a clean up. :slight_smile:

pythonis, please leave it up to the moderators to make the decision if a post is against our rules. :wink: