I have 2 internal hard drives on my PC, how do i swap which one i use as the main?

Hey there,

I am not very good with jargon, so if anyone answers, please try to keep it understandable!!

Heres the deal, i have two hard drives, one is around 40gb, which is nearly full and its also the one which the PC runs from, therefore making it very slow. There is another pretty much unused hard drive that is 80gb. How do i make my PC run from that one instead? I think the term may me to make it ‘bootable’?

If i dont have Windows or anything on the 80gb hard drive, im guessing i will have to transfer all whats on the 40gb to the 80gb?

Thanks!!

Dean

Enter your computer’s BIOS and set whichever hard drive you want as the boot drive. When your computer starts up, it will look there first for an operating system.

That said, maybe you might want to keep Windows on the 40GB drive and transfer your documents, music, etc., to the 80GB drive. Gives you more room to accumulate junk.

[QUOTE=tropic;2138171]Enter your computer’s BIOS and set whichever hard drive you want as the boot drive. When your computer starts up, it will look there first for an operating system.

That said, maybe you might want to keep Windows on the 40GB drive and transfer your documents, music, etc., to the 80GB drive. Gives you more room to accumulate junk.[/QUOTE]

All i want is for my PC to run a bit faster, i defiantly dont want to accumulate more junk!!

Ok, now im going to sound really stupid, how do i enter BIOS?

And how would i transfer documents to the 80gb if i wanted to?

Thanks for the reply

Dean

Ok, i now know how to get to BIOS mode, but what do i do when i get there?

Kai Piranha

You might want to think about this before changing. If you make the 80 gig the boot drive you will need to load your operating system on it for it to work. Do you have the operating system cd and the other program cd’s handy.
If you do as tropic suggested you can clean the drive up as you go through it and got a lot of the junk off of it.
Just use the explorer to copy folders files to the 80 gig drive.

[QUOTE=bean55;2138199]Kai Piranha

You might want to think about this before changing. If you make the 80 gig the boot drive you will need to load your operating system on it for it to work. Do you have the operating system cd and the other program cd’s handy.
If you do as tropic suggested you can clean the drive up as you go through it and got a lot of the junk off of it.
Just use the explorer to copy folders files to the 80 gig drive.[/QUOTE]

Im guessing when you say operating system, you mean XP or Vista? No i dont have the Disks, my copy of XP is counterfit, it was like that when i bought the PC from a freind, ive never got around to getting a proper version.

Luckily i dont have many programes on my system, the ones i have are things like Sonic Stage, Azureus, a few games, camera and phone utilities.

[QUOTE=Kai Piranha;2138210]… my copy of XP is counterfit
… ive never got around to getting a proper version.[/QUOTE]It’s high time that you did then, since we can’t help with scenarios involving illegally-distributed XP installations.

Thread closed.