I Hate Active Write Control

vbimport

I have just bought a Freecom USB 2.0 CDRW 24x10x40, its all very nice and burns CDs at 24x. I then bought me 200 40x CDr, the upgrade from a 4x i thought i would need them. However the crappy freecom AWC (active ....) thinks they can only be burnt at 8x. I then did a few tests, the one that came free burnt at 24x, the 16x rated TDKs at 24x, the computer far white ones burnt only at 8x (rated 32x) and the dabs 32x burns at 24x however like a said my Bulkpaq (200 of them) will only burn at 8x.

This was really getting on my nerves as i couldn't find anyway to get rid of this shitty feature. So i ripped my usb2 cdrw open, and yes i found an IDE drive. Now i started playing, and yes it works just like normal ide but with all the advantages of USB2 yipee now i can hot swap IDE hard drives with IDE CDrs etc.

However as i now have a IDE freecom cd drive i was wondering if anyone knew how to maybe flash, rip or kick the AWC out of it? If not i don't really care i'll just put a lite-on 40x12x48 in its place!

Man, I do believe you´ve just void your warranty :cop:

i believe the reason this is due to the compatability of your media…try another brand perhaps ?

im not familiar with awc

Yeah i could try other brands but i really don’t want the hassle of testing media before i buy it.

Oh yeah i didn’t break any “warranty void if broken” labels so i could re constrcut it back to how it was, but i’m having to much fun hot swapping IDE stuff (i’m easily amused).

Anyway i think i’m going to try my housemates liteon and if that works buy me one and use that instead.

Originally posted by Henry.T
Oh yeah i didn’t break any “warranty void if broken” labels so i could re constrcut it back to how it was, but i’m having to much fun hot swapping IDE stuff (i’m easily amused).

LOL

But I have read many, many, many forum threads that solved problems like this by buying better media. Altough your media may be fine, it is not recognized as being fine by the CD-RW drive.

The ACW is there to prevent you from writing bad discs. So maybe the drive could write them at 40x when this option is enabled, but the result would be an unreadable or a bad written disk with a lot of errors…

Yeah but it is still taking control away from me. I could myself burn at progressively less and less until i found the fastest. What i don’t like is they don’t let you turn it off. The CDs in question have been burnt at 40x by my house mate with a liteon that recognises them as 40x.

My original question about turning it off still stands if anyone can help.

thanks