I had a system crash and now my HP DVD Writer 740b is s-l-o-w

About six weeks ago, I had a system crash and I had to do a system restore. Many of my programs no longer worked right because of missing drivers and so on. I got a new version of Nero (9) but I have noticed that my DVD burner still writes DVD’s but it is painfully slow (not as fast as the speed of smell). I used to be able to burn an entire DVD in like 15 minutes, even if some 16x disks only could be written at 4x. Now, regardless if it writes at 4x or 16x it is taking over 90 minutes. I also have noticed the drive’s activity light. Before the crash, it would flash continiously like it was sending some secret code. Now it flashes sort of slowly two times and then is dark for a second or two.

I burned one and it took for ever, so I rebooted thinking maybe the PC had something hanging but it did the same. I tried familar DVD-R brands and new DVD+R ones - same results.

I did some research and read about PIO and I did not find the channels contained PIO, they were DMA.

It could be an issue with the drive itself but I’m not convinced - too much of a coinky-dink. Any help appreciated. Please help. T H A N K S !:clap:

Hi and Welcome!

please doublecheck if the [B]current transfer mode[/B] is UDMA.
See here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

You might also reinstall the chipset drivers for your motherboard.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2231266]Hi and Welcome!

please doublecheck if the [B]current transfer mode[/B] is UDMA.
See here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

You might also reinstall the chipset drivers for your motherboard.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Michael thanks for the responses and the welcome. It is [B][U]much[/U][/B] appreciated.

I will check the transfer mode, tonight.

I will also bone up on reinstalling the chipset drivers. I do notice that when I’m doing lots of tasks, my USB mouse stops responding. Could that be tied in with issues with those drivers?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi,[QUOTE=oldroadfan;2231441]Michael thanks for the responses and the welcome. It is [B][U]much[/U][/B] appreciated.[/quote]You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I will also bone up on reinstalling the chipset drivers. I do notice that when I’m doing lots of tasks, my USB mouse stops responding. Could that be tied in with issues with those drivers?
That is not impossible.
New chipset drivers, all drives in UDMA, then you should be fine, normally :slight_smile:

Michael

Thanks again Michael - I will let you know.

Dave

Michael - woo-hoo-hoo! [B]You are da man[/B]! I had already checked to see if DMA was enabled (not sure about Ultra DMA) but I found a Driver scanner program (Driver Genius) and it made re-installing the mobo chipset drivers a snap. Then it was time to see if the new drivers did anything - I was doubting that something so simple would have sucha profound impact but the DVD wrote at 4x and it took 14 minutes versus [B]90[/B]. Thanks again! You rock!

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Glad you got it sorted :smiley:

cheers,
Michael