I guess they are not really there

I have seen this mentioned is several threads so I thought I would test BENQ’s claims that the PIF spikes are not really there. When scanned with my PX-716A I don’t see them. I don’t like the fact that I see them when scanned on the 1620 or 1640 but I can live with it. I do think it can be fixed and BENQ would be wise to do so. Maybe this has been fixed in the 1650.

I could really accept that it’s an anomaly if it wasn’t for the fact that they show up when scanned in a LiteOn drive as well. This to me says that there is something wrong with the burn and only some drives actually show the problem. Just my 2 cents worth. :wink:

Yeah I think there is something there as well I just don’t know how to characterize it. My Plextor see’s nothing with all of the test’s. The old LiteOn see’s them. None of the drives have a problem with them. BENQ say’s CATS can’t see them so there is nothing to fix. I don’t know what to think really. I wish BENQ would give us a good explanation of this. I am eager to see if this is present on the 1650. I was about to get another 1640 for the other system but I will wait and see.

FWIW, Here’s a scan of 1 thin line up to 15PIF and my plextor DO SEE IT, and as you know Plextor scans at 1ECC (MAX 4 PIF) so I think it’s technically considered as a coaster. (P.S. I stopped the scanning on plextor after the questional point, that’s why there’s no more report after the 2.3gig mark)

Not the same issue. We are talking about 16X +R burns only. Your burn indicates a bad disc or batch.

Sorry if it’s a dumb question, but also plextor 740 show these spikes around 3,5 GB?

We would assume it does as it is a BENQ.

I know that hardware is the same, but I don’t have a plextor, so I asked if someone verify this issue. Just a curiosity, because if on plextor drives this issue is absent, then plextor firmware is better.