I got spikes on PIPO after I used OmniPatcher. I need helps & advises

Two days ago, I planed to update the firmware from BS0H to BS0K because I thought BS0K shall be better and it only looked a bit better than BS0H. I was not satisfied with the result so I decide to use the Ominipatcher to do some tweaks on the BS0K and hopefully it would improve the PIPO. I read the forum and some guys used this tweak to produce very impressive PIPO result with certain medias.

Although the result I got from the 1633S is good and naturally I want the lowest PIPO it can get. I guess I screwed up my drive after patched… :a Here it was how I done; I loaded Ominipatcher v1.3…15 with BS0K and checked the ’Increase DVD+R/-R/R9/RW reading speed to 12x.’ and ‘Enable auto-bitsetting’ and also ‘fix the “dead drive blink” / Enable cross flashing’. I selected Daxon AZ2, MCC03 & CMC MAG E01 and applied their speed at 4x, 6x, 8x &12X.( I’m now still not sure if I applied them correctly… :confused: ) After I save the bin file and loaded with LtnFW and burnt the firmware. One weird thing I found at LtnFW; when chose ‘update’ the BS0k and it stared. Immediate it showed 100% on the bar but words still said in programming. I could see the LED of the drive blinked. After a while, the LED stopped blinking but it still said in programming. Does anyone encounter this problem before? :rolleyes: I waited 10min and rebooted my PC. It looks fine to me after windows started.

I used the Nero’s ‘create data disc’ to burnt the BenQ DVD+R 8x and read it after burnt. I got a nasty surprise, there is a big spike after about 2.7G toward 3.7G. :a I used Kprobe to scanned also and got the same result. ‘Oh man, here goes one pc of dead disc!(fish)’ I said. Later I decide to use the EEPROM utility to reset the ‘learnt media’. Hopefully it will reset back where it was. Again, I generated a data disc and read its PIPO. The result seems no change and the spike was still there. Immediate I reflashed the BS0H and generated a data disc from Nero again. When read again, it showed a spike too. The funny thing was the spike at almost the same place as the 1st read.(Generate by Ominipatcher).

The next step I did was went back to the original drive’s firmware version; BS0C and generated a data disc to read its PIPO. The result even worse than the other two; 2 big spikes.(please look at the attached pictures) :eek:

I spent over a dozen of discs :sad: to repeat the testing in binary & windows formats. All the result I got were bad; all got spikes! I’m not sure where or what did it go wrong. :a I need some fresh ideas, please advise. Thank you. (I guess I’ll burnt more discs soon. :sad: )
:bow: :bow: :bow:

The arrangement of the pictures;

1. BS0H; without any tweaks and patches
  2. BS0K; no patch
  3. BS0K; patched, reset and reburnt
  4. BS0H; patched, reset and reburnt
  5. BS0C; patched, reset and reburnt

** For some reason I couldn’t upload the images. It said “not a valid image”. I have tried a few time but not successfully upload! I also tried to reduce the pictures size but no help. Not sure why… :a

OC-Freak, can I send you an attached files and help me post the image? :rolleyes:

@ simon109s after scanning with KProbe2, version 2.4.2 at 4x scan speed, with disc the still in the drive, click diskette icon in upper right corner and save as .PNG. To attach, use the ‘manage attachments’ button in the ‘go advance’ reply window. That will be a good place to start to untangle your problem. :iagree:

Finally I’m able to enclose the images. :bigsmile: I couldn’t upload them yesterday…I wonder why? These 3 scan were before I applied the Omnipatcher.

Thanks ‘please’ for your advise.

Please uses 4x scan speed, not 8x. This is the cdfreaks standard for comparison. :wink:

These KProbe & Nero scans were after the tweaks and use EEPROM utility to reset and reflash the various stocks again but no improvement. The worse is shown at BS0C!! :a

Any of your inputs are welcome. Any solutions to restore my low PIPO again is much appreciated. :bow: :bow:

Thanks.

@ simon109s

after scanning with KProbe2, version 2.4.2 at 4x scan speed

Please uses 4x scan speed, not 8x. This is the cdfreaks standard for comparison.

@ C0deking & please,

Please uses 4x scan speed, not 8x. This is the cdfreaks standard for comparison.

Thanks for the reply. I just wonder if there is any logic explanation for using 4x for comparison… :eek: Is the time that we move to 8x as well?

From my point of view, since hardware and media are moving to 16x nowadays. Shouldn’t we update ourselves? :rolleyes:

Alright, I’ll stop here at the moment. Let’s get back to the topic. I’ll do the 4x scans to night. Personally, I think even in 4x scans, my result will be same as 8x scanned; spikes but may look a bit lower. This is not the one that I asking for solutions. :frowning:

AS you can see my 1st posted 3 scanned image. They are all in 8x scans. All PIs are below 15. No obvious big spikes(mountains) and surges are less than 3.

I think the problem is on my 1633S firmware. Somehow, after I patched with Omnipatcher, the burner generated spikes when I did a test burn. :frowning: For some reason, I could not flash back to the original firmware. :a

Anyone has such experience before? How did you guys solve the problem?? :rolleyes:

Sorry for the double entry…How do I remove this post??

@ C0deking & please,

Thanks for the reply. I just wonder if there is any logic explanation for using 4x for comparison… :eek: Is the time that we move to 8x as well?

From my point of view, since hardware and media are moving to 16x nowadays. Shouldn’t we update ourselves? :rolleyes:

Alright, I’ll stop here at the moment. Let’s get back to the topic. I’ll do the 4x scans to night. Personally, I think even in 4x scans, my result will be same as 8x scanned; spikes but may look a bit lower. This is not the one that I asking for solutions. :frowning:

AS you can see my 1st posted 3 scanned image. They are all in 8x scans. All PIs are below 15. No obvious big spikes(mountains) and surges are less than 3.

I think the problem is on my 1633S firmware. Somehow, after I patched with Omnipatcher, the burner generated spikes when I did a test burn. :frowning: For some reason, I could not flash back to the original firmware. :a

Anyone has such experience before? How did you guys solve the problem?? :rolleyes:

How do you set kprobe to scan at 4X?

@ aaronwt,

On the KProbe menu, drag down the speed column. Select the speed you want to scan.:slight_smile: (Does it what you mean?)

@aaronwt
In the settings tab on the RHS there is a dropdown list with all of the possible scan speeds. Just above the PI and PIF sum settings. It’s labeled “Speed”.

I had to lower my DPI setting. I usually have it on 125 but I couldn’t see the speed option so I had to lower it to 96DPI

I wondered about that. That’s why I mentioned that it was above the PI and PIF sum settings. :wink:

@ simon109s
The large single spikes usually are indicative of the laser decoupling/recoupling during a speed shift or a recalibration. Usually they are not very high and don’t pose a problem for most readers/players. In your instance, and some others I have seen, they sometimes can be very high/large and cause problems. It may just mean your drive does not do this well. It also may be a bit influenced by the media used. I know that you have chosen media that has gotten good results from some people, but maybe you need to try media that is consistently good, so we can rule out media as the problem. Look here to see a similar problem to yours. unfortunately, there was no clear resolution :confused: . But since you may have what I believe(but I am not positive) is a marginal quality drive, I would use the best media to minimize the effects as much as possible, certainly during this troubleshooting period. You could also try to choose the most recent firmware and stick with it for a while, as the eeprom needs a few burns to relearn(as you know)…constant changing and burning one or two discs, then changing again may lead to inconsistent(or consistently bad) results.

Is there a CAV or P-CAV strategy that can be swapped to minimize the de/recoupling and/or recalibration?

As for the Kprobe 4x scan speed standard, the forum needed to have a standard for consistency, which I know you understand. It was a compromise between 1x(the industry standard…but s-l-o-w) and max(8x but somewhat inaccurate when taking into account ALL the drives out in the world). Back when it was chosen, many discs and/or drives could not/did not read well, if at all, at the higher speeds. Those drives are still out there. Sometimes, not always, a 4x scan will also reveal nuances that an 8x scan does not. So, for now, the forum has a standard of 4x. I believe, like you do, that in the future, when the general public has the ‘right stuff’, the forum may choose to upgrade the scan speed. It is good for you to ask as well, but I personally will always defer to the Codeguys and others who are much more learned about these things to set the standards. :bow:

Hi please,
Thanks for the advice.

I agree with you the spike may be generated by speed shift or recal. Is it strange to you that there were no big spikes before the drive was patched and suddenly you got huge spikes after that? :confused:

This result most likely due to the patched firmware.(omnipatcher+BS0K) The weird thing is when I reflashed back the previous firmware(BS0H), I’ll expect the drive will restore to previous stage but it’s not. :frowning: Therefore, I’m looking for a solution how to restore back.

Just for your info, the 3 “low” PIPO results I posted, they are a new burn. I consider my drive only have less 10 burn on various type of media after I bought the drive. Amoung of them, BenQ DVD+R 8x give me the best reult. So I decide to stick on BenQ.(pls read my thread here; http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=111824

Is there a CAV or P-CAV strategy that can be swapped to minimize the de/recoupling and/or recalibration?

I don know how, may be you can enlighten me. :slight_smile:

For the 4x scan, hopefully I can do it tonight.

These are the 4x scans after flashed 3 different type of firmwares. I spent 2hours+ just to get them scanned. They don’t look good although slightly better than 8x. :frowning: This not I’m asking for… :sad:

@ simon109s thanks for the scans :slight_smile: . Personally, I am just more familiar and confident when I am troubleshooting 4x scans :iagree: . What I see, is your first two scans are OK. They are not great, but they probably play/read on most players/readers, despite the big blue mountain. Since that big blue mountain was evident in the same media in the other thread I linked you to, I am assuming it MAY be a media thing. That is why I would like for you to try some quality media, to eliminate the bad media possibility. As for your third scan, the beginning PIF mountain does not have the cliff of a speed change or the peaks-and-troughs of a buffer underrun, but it has a flow that may be a one-time bad media or a general cpu/hdd usage problem. Do you follow the basic ideal burning environment of: defragged HDD, no programs running/no surfing during the burn, have 5+GB continuous free on the HDD? Could you post a Nero InfoTool .txt system readout? For the disc that has the bad beginning, which probably is unreadable/unplayable…did you try to play/read it? That is always the most important test on the keep-or-coaster decision…does it play?

Why don’t you switch strategy for that Daxon media to something else and see how it’s performing.
Post scans so we can consult about.

Thanks for your input, please & Maddog_yu.

@ please,

They are not great, but they probably play/read on most players/readers, despite the big blue mountain. Since that big blue mountain was evident in the same media in the other thread I linked you to, I am assuming it MAY be a media thing. That is why I would like for you to try some quality media, to eliminate the bad media possibility.

The BenQ DVD+R 8x was worked great on my drive before I flashed its firmware.(if you did read my posted thread.) As you can see, even RICOHJPNR02 was not doing well. I read the threads here and understand that not all drvies burn well on Ricoh and others. :confused:

It just happened that my 1663S burnt well on BenQ.(please refere to my post.) I aslo included a 4x scanned image from the previous BS0H firmware. So that you can compare the difference.

Whenever I do cutting, I will disable all the running application. I use ‘editall’ to terminate them. I consider myself a bit hardcore on PC. Doing editing or cutting, I understand the vital of ‘clean environment’. :iagree:

For the disc that has the bad beginning, which probably is unreadable/unplayable…did you try to play/read it? That is always the most important test on the keep-or-coaster decision…does it play?

This I’ll always stick to the basic; always make sure that the beginning is at tip-top performance. :iagree: That’s why I demand the burner get the lowerest PIPO.(of course, good media also play part of it.) If the base line is meet. I don think you have readable problem, don you agree?

@Maddog_yu,
I didn’t try yet.(also mean that more disc will fry… :sad: ) Any good suggestion? :rolleyes: