I got different media type report on same disc!

Hi,

Is there anyone encountered the same problem as I am when using DVD identifier, Kprobe and Nero CD-DVD speed to verify the disc information? :confused:

I bought a stack of so claim “Verbatim” DVD+R couple days ago and I used the 3 mentioned SWs to verify the type and manfactuer, guest what?

Different reports of manufacturer on the same disc. :a

Here they are;

****By DVD ID;

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Media Type ID : [003]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]

****By Nero;

Manufacturer : Verbatim
Code : MCC 003
Disc Type : DVD+R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : -
Recording Speed : 4 X - 8 X
Capacity : -

Additional Capacity : -
Overburn Capacity : -

****Kprobe2 reported;

Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD+R
Manufacturer Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
Media ID MCC003
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 0.00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 8.0x
Maximum Write Speed 8.0x
Current Write Speed 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 6.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 4.0x CLV

Anyone? :eek:

PS: My drive is LiteOn 1633S :iagree:

Verbatim is Mitsubishi Chemicals’ media division.

Looks fine to me; Verbatim discs are made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation; your media ID is MCC003.

Those are same reports using different forms and terminologies.
Don’t worry.

Yo-

Can’t see the forest because of the trees???

Mike

Ohh…I see :eek: , I didn’t know Verbatim is belongs to Mitsubishi!! My apologies :o .

I read the threads, funny thing is less people talked about Mitsubishi but more to Verbatim. :confused:

What do you think about Mitsubishi media? :rolleyes:

Excellent discs, if burned at the right speed. Also, my 851S@832S overspeeds the 4X MCC002s to 8X rather well.

Verbatim is the brand name for Mitsubishi media when sold outside Japan.
Look for Koba’s posts in this forum to see how a Japanese market waitcher sees the different Japanese brand.
If I remember well, he classified Mitsibushi behind TDK, Maxell and Taiyo Yuden, in this order, referring only to japanese made media.

Verbatim/Mitsibishi are still excellent media imho. I would personally avoid those with other than MCC mediacode, the others being MBI, CMC Mag considering some bad experiences I saw reported.

Thanks for your info, Sapa. :iagree:

I found out another interested issue; Verbatim not only made by Mitsibushi but also by Ricoh… :eek: Any idea which is the better or rather how do you know which is made by Ricoh & Mitsibushi? :confused:

Well, none of the new Verbatim DVD media (with the new design scheme) is Ricoh; it’s all MCC made in Taiwan (you might rarely find some of the Datalifeplus made in Singapore, but not likely).

Thanks Two Degrees. I guest I have try my luck if I’m going to after Verbatim-Ricoh… :slight_smile:

I will try the Ricoh OEM media next week since it’s the most favourable media at this threads. :cool: :cool:

I still think the Verbatim are superior to Ricoh, after trying R01 and R02 (much lower TI in Kprobe scans).