I fell so stupid

Well thats what i get for not reading posts thoroughly. My frined said he had a 24x liteon that came with his gateway. I said, bring it over here and ill flash it for you.

He brought it over and i popped it in and saw that the model number was ltr-24102b, looked like what i saw on the forum.

So i backed up the original f/w and then flashed with the XSU1 f/w for the 24103s. Well now, the LED stays on all the time and wont eject. I tried reflashing it with the backed up f/w and it said mtkflash… by… etc.

Well thats as far as it got. Its on the secondary ide channel set as master. Did i fry his liteon or is it possible to fix it?

Also i noticed reading the wses guide that it said never to use the clear eeprom command. If i did that would i be able to reflash it?

If i did that would i be able to reflash it?

Sounds like you actually did it! I’m I right?

And you can’t reflash it if I’m correct.

i din’t clear the eeprom, but im having trouble flashing it. Maybe if all else fails, i’ll do that

You can reflash it with the correct firmware. What exactly is the problem? Does mtkflash crash?
Usually, flashing back to 24102B should be as easy as any other flash. If not, then follow the mtkflash guide…I mean the whole one… :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by kwkard

… Did i fry his liteon or is it possible to fix it?
… If i did that would i be able to reflash it?

Don’t worry, we’ll try to fix your buddy’s drive.
Well, there are 2 alternaties, i.e. either you’ll learn it from so called bad falash recovery
or as far as I’m concerned there many ppl here I’ve already helped with the jumper trick
Just a couple of examples taken from those posts : 1 & 2
you’d rather try the 1st one first and then we’ll see what happens next.

And finally, would you please read carefully what KenL once said about it here :

“…But I did find the jumper trick and it worked and I danced around my living room with joy.
…SOoooooo, what I would suggest to solve this issue is for the next person or two or three who kill their Liteon’s or any drive with the same chip set, to try the Esc/F4 key trick and MTKFLASH and if that works then we are done but if it does not work, then to try the jumper trick and MTKFLASH and if that does work, we know that it is the jumper trick that does it. If neither works then we go back to a new thread and a new search for a cure.”

Yeah, as I said above, just give alexnoe’s suggestion a try :wink:

Alexnoes right

He got me out of a fix very recently - mine was dead as a dodo
Follow the procedure and i,m sure you should get it back .
:wink:

when it says:

connect the drive as secondary single slave, does this mean as the slave on the secondary ide channel with no master?

also i tried plugging it in after the drive detection and still mtkflash “froze”

Have you run a tool (nero tool) to see how its set up ?
I flashed mine on master secondary works now.
Also show us how you are writing the dos command.
:smiley:

@kwark: if mtkflash crashes even with the drive on secondary slave, then you have 2 possibilities:
(a) follow boskins suggestion
(b) install the drive to another PC (preferably no VIA chipset; mtkflash seems to dislike some of them for bad flash recovery) and recover there.

Originally posted by snout

Alexnoes right
He got me out of a fix very recently - mine was dead as a dodo
Follow the procedure and i,m sure you should get it back .
:wink:

Well, believe it or not, I’m happy for you as much as for the other lucky guys here
who happend to get their “dead” drives revived.

Cheers ! :wink:

([QUOTE]Originally posted by kwkard
[B]Well thats what i get for not reading posts thoroughly. My frined said he had a 24x liteon that came with his gateway. I said, bring it over here and ill flash it for you.

He brought it over and i popped it in and saw that the model number was ltr-24102b, looked like what i saw on the forum.

So i backed up the original f/w and then flashed with the XSU1 f/w for the 24103s. Well now, the LED stays on all the time and wont eject.)

Wonder what he was thinking after…:bigsmile:

@kwkard
please, read the FAQ first when you would flash a drive.
:cool: :cool:

ok i got it. I wasn’t doing anything wrong (except for not rweading the model numbes right). For some reason, his drive that came with his dell was set on cable selet instead of master. So i put it on master and voila!. Its good as new. Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally posted by kwkard
ok i got it. I wasn’t doing anything wrong (except for not rweading the model numbes right). For some reason, his drive that came with his dell was set on cable selet instead of master. So i put it on master and voila!. Its good as new. Thanks for the suggestions.

For some reason? That reason would be that Dell uses cable select. That’s fairly well known (just read some of the articles on The Register about installing Linux on a Dell).

(And lucky me, my employer just switched to Dell…still, it’s better than the Compaqs we were using)