I doubt about dual-layer recording on 107d/a07 now

I was hoping that Pioneer will do something on 107d/a07 for dual-layer recording

but now i doubt about it

what do yall think?

A press release a while back said the 107 can burn dual layer with just a firmware update. Wether or not a firmware update gets released is probably a matter of $.

Does pioneer take the time and effort to add that feature, or do they try to encourage people who own a 107 to buy a new drive?

Even if they do release it, quality and speed of burning dual layer could be an issue.

I think what it comes down to is Pioneer has a tendency towards high standards. for example not being able to burn media certified at 4x at an 8x speed - I see that as a quality assurance issue.

I think owners of a 107 drive are very lucky if dual layer support gets added. I know I bought my drive with that in mind, knowing also that pioneer never spefically said they would release such an update… it was more a matter of a prototype and proof of concept.

I could have missed it, but I can’t remember pioneer saying anything about dual layer firmware for the A07/107.

I guess we have to wait for the A08/108 and A09/109 for that.

From what I understand the dual layer thing is mainly a quality issue. For Pioneer to release such a firmware it has to be sure that a decent % (e.g. > 95%) of drives will work as a dual layer drive. From what I heard from some technicians the drives evolve during the production process and some drives are build better then others during production. Pioneer has to guarantee the quality else many people will complain and Pioneer will have to admit it doesn’t work or replace a lot of drives.

So to shorten the story, it’s unlikely that Pioneer will be able to guarantee dual layer support in the current drives as their technology doesn’t seem to be market ready yet and at the time DVD+R dual layer was releases their drive was already in the stores. Therefor it’s unlikely that the drive will be able to write to dual layer discs.

This is just my best bet, they still remain speculations…

One other thing you can count on, is that Pioneer will not release a firmware, or a drive, until DVD-R/DL is ready. They will not be seen to be promoting the rival format.

Originally posted by jase
One other thing you can count on, is that Pioneer will not release a firmware, or a drive, until DVD-R/DL is ready. They will not be seen to be promoting the rival format.

Well, they still plan to release the A08/108 with DL DVD+R support (No DVD-R DL support).

DL DVD-R support will come with the A09/109…

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8861

"Intresting however is that the company used a Pioneer A06 burner with only a modified firmware. According to the company only a firmware modification is needed in order to make a DVD-R drive write dual layer discs. "

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Well, they still plan to release the A08/108 with DL DVD+R support (No DVD-R DL support).

DL DVD-R support will come with the A09/109… [/B]

I believe the A08 in the form you describe will never surface.