I did something stupid and now lost my burner description in Kprobe

vbimport

About two months ago i put in an original Xbox game disc into my Lite-on LDW-411s just to see what would happen.
Well the light on my liteon flashed a little and then my computer froze for a minute. It came back to me and i thought nothing of it.

However, a few days later i did some dvd-r burns and ran them through Kprobe after. The scans were fine but i noticed something different.
Where it says “Selected Drive:” all i had now was "2-0-0-0 " whereas before it would have been, "2-0-0-0 LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S FSO7"etc.

I have uninstalled and updated kprobe and it made no difference.
Three firmware updates on my liteon also made no difference.

Other apps which don’t describe the liteon fully are the Liteon Booktype Utility and the Firmware exe’s from liteon…i.e. 2-0-0-0 only

All my other liteon apps, Nero, Dvdidentifier, dvdinfopro, Tmpgenc dvdauthor, describe the liteon in full.
Any suggestions for a simple fix? :slight_smile:

An example below of the Kprobe drive description.

Have you tried removing & adding the device from the Device Manager?
In windows xp do this -> Windows Key + Pause/Break (on the keyboard, this will bring up system properties), click on Hardware Tab, click on Device Manager, select DVD/CD-ROM drives, right click the drive and unistall. then scan for hardware changes.

Might be better to remove the entire IDE controller channel and reboot. That re-detects everything, not just the drive.

I’ve got the same problem - Kprobe shows 4-0-0-0 and 4-0-1-0 as the two drives (actually 812S and 48125W), reports no disk in either one. DVD Identifier and Booktype both show it correctly and read the disk OK (burned DVD+R).

Tried removing the drive and reinstalling, no change.

It could also be an ASPI problem.
Try uninstalling Kprobe and reinstalling, as this should also reinstall ASPI.

Originally posted by wesociety
It could also be an ASPI problem.
Try uninstalling Kprobe and reinstalling, as this should also reinstall ASPI.

Removing Kprobe does not remove ASPI, you need KillASPI for that.

The trick is not to re-install the drive, but the whole channel.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Removing Kprobe does not remove ASPI, you need KillASPI for that.

Thx for the clarification.
But when you reinstall Kprobe, would it not install ASPI again overtop of your current version? Or does it check to see if you have ASPI and then does not install if you already have it?

Originally posted by wesociety
Thx for the clarification.
But when you reinstall Kprobe, would it not install ASPI again overtop of your current version? Or does it check to see if you have ASPI and then does not install if you already have it?

It only installs if ASPI does not exist, it’s install of ASPI is somewhat unreliable. The only way to really fix corrupt ASPI is with KillASPI and a fresh install of 4.60.

I sometimes wonder if Kprobe might be partly responsible for corrupting existing ASPI installs.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

I sometimes wonder if Kprobe might be partly responsible for corrupting existing ASPI installs.

?
Not the 4.60 IMO… :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the additional info RD.

If you have Nvidia drivers and do the uinistall trick and reboot my Nivida drivers came right back. See if you can find MS drivers or the Nivia 2.45 ones work I think, the 3.31 don’t work with Kprobe.

Originally posted by pinto2
?
Not the 4.60 IMO… :slight_smile:

What I meant, and did not clearly state, is that sometimes I think Kprobe installs 4.60 on top of a different version and gums up the works.

I remember seeing this problem before. It was caused by virtual drives. Uninstall any virtual drives (such as ones installed by Alcohol 120%, CDRWIN, Daemon Tools etc).

Originally posted by Vanderlow
If you have Nvidia drivers and do the uinistall trick and reboot my Nivida drivers came right back. See if you can find MS drivers or the Nivia 2.45 ones work I think, the 3.31 don’t work with Kprobe.

Same can go for VIA drivers - either way, best way is to open up the IDE Controller in Device Manager, then do an Update Driver and choose the Microsoft drivers rather than manufacturer ones. This will then reinstall the Primary and Secondary controllers. I’ve got the nVidia 4.12 IDE Drivers, this may be the problem so I’ll test this theory when I get home tonight.

If you haven’t yet installed the nVidia UDP, then when you do it, simply answer ‘No’ when it asks if you want to install SW IDE Drivers - this will leave you with standard MS ones.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I tried all the installs/uninstalls and changes mentioned above and rebooted each time but had no luck.

My final change was to use killaspi again and install Aspi 4.71.2 but it didnt help any.
Still getting “Selected Drive: 2-0-0-0” in Kprobe.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Try completely uninstalling every single piece of CD/DVD related software you have on your system.

Try flashing to a different or even the same firmware (“reloading it”) using a .bin copy and LtnFW (links in tools guide in my sig).

Do you have any “virtual” drives showing up in your device manager under CD/DVD drives? In my case it showed up as an image simulation drive. Getting rid of it made things work. Getting rid of CDRWIN made the virtual drive go away.

Looks this has already been suggested by Ssseth, but I wanted to point out my specific experience just in case it helps.

Originally posted by angra
[B]Do you have any “virtual” drives showing up in your device manager under CD/DVD drives? In my case it showed up as an image simulation drive. Getting rid of it made things work. Getting rid of CDRWIN made the virtual drive go away.

Looks this has already been suggested by Ssseth, but I wanted to point out my specific experience just in case it helps. [/B]

Ya it was him. I knew I remembered hearing about it :smiley:

You could boot to safe mode,open device manger,pick show Phantom devices,remove all of the reboot
Bruce

rdgrimes
is 4.60 the right one, also i have none on mine,do you need it?
Bruce

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]Try completely uninstalling every single piece of CD/DVD related software you have on your system.

Try flashing to a different or even the same firmware (“reloading it”) using a .bin copy and LtnFW (links in tools guide in my sig). [/B]

Sorry for the delay in reply…have been away for a day and a bit.
I deleted every piece of cd/dvd related software…i.e. all burning, encoding and player software and uninstalled kprobe, rebooted and re-installed kprobe, but had no luck.

I checked device manager and still found a type of virtual drive.
(See below). :Z

I tried to uninstall it but every time i reboot it comes back automatically. I booted into safe mode and went into device manager again and there it was. I deleted it again but it came back when i rebooted into normal mode.
While in safe mode i couldnt find where in Device Manager it says “Search for Phantom Drives”.
How do i get rid of the “Image Simulation Drive”? CDRWin5 is gone. Could there be some remnant hanging around? :sad: