I desperately need help with making a copy of my master audio CD

[qanda]This thread is about the Acer Aspire 5612WLMi. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello everybody, I’m new here and I know nothing about CDs or computers nor anything related to that.

I’m a musician and I’m going to realease an independent CD but I need some help with my master audio cd.

So here goes:

1. I have the master cd which I need to send to the pressing company. It is in cda format. The problem is when the studio where I recorded th songs gave me the master, they didn’t include the proper name of the songs, nor my name. So when I play it on Windows Media Player for example, the information that appears is “Unknow Album” and Track 1,2 etc…

I tried making a copy of it in Nero and included the names of the songs and my name as the artist but when i play it the copy still shows “Unknow Album”.

How do I add this information on the audio cd?

1. If I make a copy of the master using Nero will there be a loss of information/audio quality? I don’t want to send the original master to the pressing company because i only want a few songs on the master cd to be included in the pressed copies, and if I send it to them with all the songs they said they will have to make a new master with only the songs that i want - which will cost me more.

I really, really apreciatte any help you can give me. :slight_smile:

Peace to all

Gus

As far as I know, Windows Media Player does not look for CD-TEXT on the CD but looks up a “fingerprint” of the CD on an Internet database to see if it’s a well-known CD, and then downloads the artist, album and track information if available. There are other CD players that will use CD-TEXT information on the CD if present.

Nero 7 has had some problems burning audio CDs correctly, while Nero 6 had no such problem. I’m not sure about Nero 8 and Nero 9, but you may want to update to the latest minor version of the major version (i.e. 6,7,8,9) that you have.

Provided you have a non-buggy version of Nero, a copy will have the same quality as the original (unless the original is too damaged to be read properly).

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for your reply DregeMester.

I believe you are right about Windows Media Player. I tested it with a friend’s cd, also released independently, and it doesn’t show any information. But Real Player does.

What do you mean by non buggy version of Nero? Sorry. english is not my first language and i couldn’t find the meaning for this expression…

Regards

Gus

Non buggy would mean a good working version or very stable version of Nero.

[QUOTE=Gus Garcia;2231520]Thank you very much for your reply DregeMester.

I believe you are right about Windows Media Player. I tested it with a friend’s cd, also released independently, and it doesn’t show any information. But Real Player does.

What do you mean by non buggy version of Nero? Sorry. english is not my first language and i couldn’t find the meaning for this expression…

Regards

Gus[/QUOTE]
I f you ever used a player that accesses the databases out there many times a box pops up asking if you would like to add the information for the unknown CD.

Gracenote (formerly CDDB) is the original. But due to licensing requirements is not always used. Apps like CDex use the alternative freedb.

For Gracenote:

[I]- How do I submit CDs to Gracenote?

A. How do I submit new CDs to Gracenote?
  It would be great to have you submit a new CD to our database. To submit CD information to the Gracenote music recognition service (originally known as CDDB), you need to have the CD in hand, and you need to use a licensed application with an Internet connection. A licensed application is simply a software application built by a developer who is licensed to use our service.

You should find a list of licensed applications at http://www.gracenote.com/powered_by_gracenote/software/. All the applications listed should allow you to submit new CDs. For example, in the Windows platform, Quintessential Player (QCD) is a very popular freeware application and uses our default UI for submissions. You can get QCD at quinnware.com.

When you have a licensed software application installed, place the CD into your CD-ROM drive, and the software will come to our service to try to identify the CD. If the CD is not identified, you will be asked if you'd like to submit the information. To submit the information, type the following information in the required fields then click the #Submit# button:

Artist name
  Album name
  Track Titles
  Year of Release
  Genre
  Label Name

Once a CD's track listing is in our database, anyone playing that CD in their licensed player will have it recognized by our service. Keep in mind that it often takes up to 48 hours for a new submission to show up in the software application. The Web site search is compiled less frequently than the most queried CDs in our service. [/I]

For freedb.org you can use CDex (free). Load up your CD, from CDDB-> Submit to Remote freedb, then enter the correct info.

Entering the info in both should ensure that when the CD is used in internet connected computers the track info will be found and downloaded (after the first time the info is then saved locally on your HD).

QCD/Gracenote (I still use an older version) is now QMP. The version I use is also great for mp3 tagging. If you are playing an untagged (or incompletely tagged) mp3 you can retrieve and update the complete info automatically.