I copy the discs, they work in the DVD-RW drive but not my DVD-ROM..wtf

I used CloneDVD and AnyDVD to make a backup of some anime.

Once I create the disc, and it’s finished, I try it in my DVD-ROM drive. It doesn’t work.

I tried it in my laptops DVD-ROM drive, and it still didn’t work.

It works fine in the DVD-RW drive. I can sit there and watch it if I want to. But when I try it in a DVD-ROM it refuses to recognize that the disc is in the drive. It just pretends like I inserted a blank DVD-R. I’m almost 100% sure they’re finalized. I don’t know why cloneDVD would NOT finalize them. What the heck is the problem? :bow: to whoever solves this for me.

can your dvd-rom read other recordable dvd media
ie have you tried older burns
could be your d-rom is dying
does the backup work in a dvd player?

more info also need see sticky

Maybe doc will post the info form fill-in-the-blanks

I am not sure about other recorded DVD media. The drives I tried were the DVD-ROM in my desktop, and a BRAND NEW DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive in my compaq laptop. Brand spankin new, no way it’s dying. I’ll go try the backup in a DVD player and see what happens. I browsed through the FAQ and I didn’t see anything to solve my problem.

Edit: I tried it in my Toshiba DVD player. (Good quality, couple years old) and it just said “DISC ERROR”. These don’t seem to work in any drive thats not a DVD±RW.

The fact that it does not play in your dvd-player speaks volumes!!
What type of media are you using and have you tried to set the book type on your burner to dvd-rom?

read up on "book type"
and quality media such as verbatim and taiyu yuden

please read the new problems sticky and fill all the info and post back
btw
what is your media type

ShardAerithes -

From the limited information you have provided I concur with Zag’s suggestion that your problem is most likely caused by the use of poor quality blank DVD Media.

The below Web Link provides detailed information on how discern the quality of blank DVD media and how to identify the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of you blank DVD Media.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

BeLooken

You need to tell us the exact steps you followed to burn these dvd-r discs and exactly what media you are using (preferably the internal mfg media id code).

Heres my disc info:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R03-004]
Disc & Book Type :       [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name :      [Ricoh Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID :        [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID :          [R03]
Product Revision :       [004]
Blank Disc Capacity :    [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds :       [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
                         [Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]
[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Looks like the Book Type is DVD+R. This is what is said about this media.

MEDIA ID MANUFACTURER COUNTRY FORMAT NOTES
RICOHJPNR03 Ricoh, Ritek Taiwan, Japan DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL some outsourcing

“2ND CLASS MEDIA:
Decent discs, though not perfect, about 80-95% success rate. These discs are not suggested for archival data or video masters. These are best suited for data that can be replaced easily, such as secondary backups or data/video distribution. In bulk, these tend to be less expensive than 1ST CLASS media.”

Ok looks like they’re not the best discs.

Basically, to burn them I just inserted them into the DVD-ROM drive, inserted a blank disc into the DVD+R, went to CloneDVD, got rid of audio tracks in languages I don’t speak, said for it to shrink them (usually to about 73%) and hit COPY…then I watched a sheep eat popcorn. This was a couple months ago so it’s kind of foggy, but I don’t remember changing anything. I used AnyDVD to bypass copy-protection. I do own the DVD’s in question, so don’t get the wrong idea.

Where is the “new problems” sticky?

I do not know any details about your equipment whatsoever, BUT what it sounds like is the other drives simply cannot read DVD+R media. In my experience, RICOHJPN is very good - Ricoh made in Japan. And since it plays in your DVD writer which wrote it, it must be a good burn. My advice (aka 2 cents worth) - either play it in the drive that created it, play it in an updated DVD-ROM drive (as all newer ones playback DVD+R), research bitsetting, OR simply switch to DVD-R.

First and formost, kindly advise what version of CloneDVD you are using and that it was downloaded from either Slysoft or Elaborate Bytes. This is important because there is another CloneDVD out there that is an inferior product.

Next please advise your burners name and model #, as others have stated changing the book type will make your burned disks compatible in almost any drive since it burns to a DVD-Rom format, the same used as the original disk.
Keep in mind not all burners have this capability that’s why we need to know your model.

Lastly, I have a Toshiba DVD player gathering dust sitting in the closet, this player was very limited on what disks it could read, never was able to even read any burned CD’s using Tayio Yuden (among the best) media, I see many of the Toshiba players are only capable of reading DVD-. Read your owners manual to see it’s capabilities, or better yet, try the disk in someone else’s DVD player and see if that works. I have found the Sony’s and Panasonic players to read just about anything you put into them.

Your best bet is to use the bitsetting if applicable, I do believe that will solve your problem.

ShardAerithes -

As suggested by Zag provide the information as requested in the “New posters with ripping/burning problems” sticky ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=182650

Another factor besides Blank DVD Media Quality that controls the Burn Quality is your DVD Burner Firmware. It is important to ensure that your DVD Burner has the most current up to date Firmware. The below Web Link explains this ->

I am sorry to say just because Media burned on the recorded devise appears to play properly is not a true indicator that the particular burned Media was actually a quality burn as suggested by HatchetMan. Most burned media no matter how poor of the burn quality will appear to play properly on the burning device used to burn the media. A more valid test is to use a diagnostic program like Nero CD-DVD Speed and perform a ScanDisc surface scan and check for Bad Sectors. A Quality Burn will not contain any Bad Sectors. HatchetMan is correct that RICOHJPN media is acceptable if actually made in Japan. The problem is that RICOHJPN media outsourced and made in Taiwan and other countries is highly suspect of the quality.

"2ND CLASS MEDIA: Decent discs, though not perfect, about 80-95% success rate. That means that there is a possibly of a 20% failure rate. I personally find media with a possible 20% rate media that I would not consider using.

BeLooken

Suggested experiment:

Do not go directly from your dvd-rom source drive to your burner. Let CloneDVD2 create files or an image on your hard drive and then burn form there in a separate step. When you do the burn, select a burn speed midway in the speed capabilities of your burner and media. For example, using 16x media in a 16x burner - try using 8x speed. In this case, I would suggest trying 4x.

first try the backups on another pc or player

Do you have AnyDVD running on these PCs you are trying to read the disc on? Turn it off and try again.