I copied generals but it does not work

vbimport

ok im totaly new to this i just used my mates gernerals disc to back it up. the first disc instals ok but when i go to use disc 2 after a few seconds it does not reconise disc 2. what has gone wrong and what can i do to get it to work

mmmm looks like an illegal thread…

I will accept Mr B’s assumption that you’re trying to back up this game for your friend and not you (eitherwise it would be iillegal).

Read this thread …

sorry about that i worded it wrong but i do not no where to start i have no idea what all these programs. my purpos is to back it up for a friend who has no cd-r i have read that article but it still does no tell me where to start

The game you are refering too is protected by a protection scheme called SafeDisk (v2.8X) that makes it difficult for the user to create an easy backup. You cant just throw it in and burn it with Nero.

Generaly speaking, when trying to backup a protected game the steps you have to follow are quite easy:

1. Find the protection the game implements, either by asking or using a scanner program like Clony (google search time)
  2. Find a program that will be able to back it up with the right settings (CloneCD, Alcohol, BlindWrite - google time again)

Keep in mind that not all burners cope with all the game protections out there - so it might be useful mentioning the drive you will be using.

If you’re planning on using CloneCD, i suggest reading the sticky threads in the CloneCD forum.

Originally posted by raziel02
sorry about that i worded it wrong but i do not no where to start i have no idea what all these programs. my purpos is to back it up for a friend who has no cd-r i have read that article but it still does no tell me where to start
Hemi is right, read the stickys and tell us of any particular problem. Liken this to “how do I set up a DHCP Network using Domain Names”…narrow it down and we’ll crawl over broken glass to help!

would clone cd be the best choice also in one of the articles thay say to use alcohol is that again the best choice. the drive im using to burn with is _NEC DVD + RW ND-1100A if that makes any sense to you. is there any posibility that when backing up the game that that original game could be damaged so it would not work. will this drive be able to kill safedisk 2.8 so that i can back up generals. if it cant is there another way ive read an faq on it but it makes no sense to me

would clone cd be the best choice also in one of the articles thay say to use alcohol is that again the best choice. the drive im using to burn with is _NEC DVD + RW ND-1100A if that makes any sense to you. is there any posibility that when backing up the game that that original game could be damaged so it would not work. will this drive be able to kill safedisk 2.8 so that i can back up generals. if it cant is there another way ive read an faq on it but it makes no sense to me
Your NEC may be unsuitable for backing up copy ptotected CDs.

If backing up CDs is important to you then you should invest in a suitable CD-RW unless your NEC proves to be a killer unit.

Only the Toshiba range of DVD writers will do the job, that I’m aware of. The Ricoh MP512x range are also capable units. The AOpen is a rebadged Ricoh.

I’m about to take posession of an NEC CD-RW (held up with Customs ATM :() and its performance may say something about the NEC DVD burners.

All I can suggest to you is to try. Click the appropriate buttons and choose the appropriate proile in each window.

Stay in touch.

… NEC ND-1100 and SD 2.8 and CloneCD 4.2.0.2:

use “Protected PC Game” profile, (weak sectors have to be “emulated” with your NEC to get a working copy).

regards, sven

you have all been alot of help i am going to try it out and see what happens. ill be sure to tell you what happens.

ok i have clonecd and now i have no idea what to do please help

Can you see the four buttons on the main interface?
The on-line help is step by step

If I may interject for a moment. The solution to your problem is simple. The the reason why CD2 is not working for your friend is because he needs CD1 to play his backup. No longer can you use two CD’s to play 1 copy of C&C. Kindly ask your friend to refer to the game manual as it clearly states this on page 2 of the manual, near the bottom.

BTW this is my first post :slight_smile:

Would my TDK Velo 24x10x40 work with backing up SafeDisc V2.8???

read
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45053

Yes, but you’d have to use the Emulate feature

I don’t see an “Emulate” feature anywhere in clone cd. Do I need to back this up using “disk to disk”??? I tried using ClonyXXL but its not in English. I didn’t install the Virtual Drive for clone cd…maybe I need that…

Originally posted by Slider
I don’t see an “Emulate” feature anywhere in clone cd. Do I need to back this up using “disk to disk”??? I tried using ClonyXXL but its not in English. I didn’t install the Virtual Drive for clone cd…maybe I need that…

You won’t see the default Protected PC profile, Emulate or AWS if your PC Locale is set to US or JP. You should only Copy On The Fly if you have a suitable setup. SD2 OTF can be done with a Lite-On DVD to Lite-On burner rig. My Toshi 1402 to ASUS burners also works extremely well. ASUS CRW to ASUS CRW…what errors? :smiley:

Leave the virtual drive uninstalled for a little longer.