I can't seem to encode a movie!

I can’t encode a movie! Loads of other people can do it, and I can’t figure it out! Someone help me out please. I tried the flask thing a while ago and that didn’t work. Now I’m on XP instead of 2000, fresh install, and trying to use gordian knot. I’m using the guides at doom9.net, following them exactly as I could, and the movie I had lying around, Jackie Chan - Drunken Master. When I finally hold my breath and hit encode, it immediately starts the movie, then says it finished it or something and it moves on to the audio. I think it mentions some problem about frames…which brings me to another thing. When I save the dv2avi project, it tells me that the framerate is 29.997 fps, but when gnot imports it, it thinks the movie is 23.xxx, whatever it is for PAL. Tried encoding both, same result. And what do I want for resolution? What are the anamorphic things? And why does it change the size from 720x320 or whatever to 640 x 480?

I really can’t answer why it won’t work. I don’t use Guardian Knot myself (i think it’s way to difficult to use with all the freaking options).

For getting to learn encoding to div-x i can recommend the Vidomi encoder. I know it may seem like crap on first basis , but it’s an all in one package (without using ANY 3rd base component such as TmpgEnc like Gknot does). It even installs the necessary codec(s).

Encoding also hugely depends on the codecs you have installed in your system. One likes DivX4.12 , the others may like XVid or DivX 5 better , who knows… For that i recommend to use the Nimo Codec Pack… It’s got the best of all worlds , includes some ac3 , mp3 etc.

The way i normally make a div-x movie :

Put dvd in dvd player , starting up smartripper and rip movie to disk. (Creating a lot of region free , macrovision free , decode VOB’s and the IFO file).

Start up FLaskMpeg and choose the IFO file.

Tag the appropriate files (the longest video file , the sound in the language i want and perhaps the subtitling as well)

Then configuring the sound output to MP3 using the Radium MP3 Coded (128kbits CBR)

Then configuring the video output to Divx 4.12 setting 1200

Start encoding and wait about 9 hours (or go to bed and leave the computer on).

Wow thanks this program was much simpler and it actually worked, it was encoding less than a minute after I started it up. But I have 4 questions/problems to ask about.

1. The quality. As said above, the movie used was jackie chan - drunken master. It’s 1 hour 51 minutes so I set it to make 2 files of 695mb, with 2mb for error. In the scenes where jackie is doing his thing, the characters are very blurry and it’s disappointing.

2. The size. I did Divx Networks Vitomi vbr (I think, it was some sort of divx 2 pass). It ended up with 2 files of 695, and then another small one that’s ~17mb. What is this?? i mean, I know it’s the last couple minute of the movie, but why is it a separate file? It couldn’t fit it in there somehow? Shouldn’t using 2 pass have allowed it to make the file to within a few mb of the set size?

3. Audio. The maximum bitrate is set to 128k/s, and is grayed out. Strangely enough, I can change the min bitrate to higher than 128?!

4. Resources. Came home from work to find it done, and Windows XP giving me any error about virtual memory, saying it had to increase it and system resources were low, is this normal? Shouldn’t the resources have returned after it was done?

Any suggestions on making a higher quality rip? using this program or another one with an easy to use interface? Tried using gnot right after it finished, still the same problem so I haven’t gotten any better at this…

Thanks in advance

Also, using Divx 5.02 Pro if that matters. Maybe I’ll try the flask thing again, which one do I want, using a P3?

okay figured out the audio thing and tried tweaking some other settings concerning filesize plus the audio tracks were just labeled by number instead of language and apparently I used the chinese one, so I’m re-encoding the whole thing, I’ll post about how it goes in ~14 hours (2 pass)

Vidomi has a great forum , with lots of support from Marty (the original author). Most questions can be answered there. As already stated there are tons of possibilities to make a divx.

The only thing i could suggest is to test with it a tiny movie so you don’t have to wait 9 hours over and over again.

2-pass encoding and bi-cubic filtering and all that fuss seems to work perfectly in vidomi , but for some apperant reasen i have never gotten the subtitling working :frowning:

Back again Belvedere :slight_smile:

Okay, it came out great it’s not blurry and the sound is pretty good, plus it came out in 2 x 700mb without the little appendage this time. But it is strangely incompatible.

I can play the avi in the vidomi player and also in PowerDVD XP, but not in either WMP 8 or Divx Playa 2.0 alpha, also Quicktime wants to download a codec but this comp isn’t connected to the internet so it can’t. What’s up with that? Under vidomi I disabled enhanced avi because I figured that would make it less compatible and I read in a guide that it should be disabled anyway unless I was using subtitles. Should I have left it on? And how do I make it compatible?

Another thing. After about 50 minutes of playtime, I start getting white blocks on the picture. It’s not the file, if I restart the computer and continue all is fine (just restarting the program doesn’t help). Task Manager says I still have ~350mb of RAM free (out of 512). Will this file play ok on a more powerful computer (I have all my peices except the case by now, so I will soon have a P4 2.53 to play this on)?

And can you reccomend a program I could use to make a 10-15mb sample of this movie?

Sorry to bother you so consistently

(without using ANY 3rd base component such as TmpgEnc like Gknot does).

You sure you don’t mean AVIsynth, or VirtualDub?

And it does use third party components. It just stole some source from lots of various GPL projects (VirtualDub, Flask/XMpeg, DVD2AVI, and released it. There was lots of talk when it was found out, and Vidomi wouldn’t release the full sources for a long while.

Originally posted by SirDavidGuy
[B]

You sure you don’t mean AVIsynth, or VirtualDub?

And it does use third party components. It just stole some source from lots of various GPL projects (VirtualDub, Flask/XMpeg, DVD2AVI, and released it. There was lots of talk when it was found out, and Vidomi wouldn’t release the full sources for a long while. [/B]

shrugs That’s one of the dangers of GPL i guess. What i meant is that everything is included in the package and you do not need to download additional programs. I had the distinct feeling this was necessary with Guardian Knot.

VirtualDub has it’s advantages as well (cutting and joining tools for DivX movies , despite the bad sync.).

For making a 10-15 mb sample it’s easy. Just use about 3 minutes of the movie and just encode that piece :slight_smile: (Be sure to pick a piece with lots of movement , color changes and noise)

Also , Vidomi is a nice “learning step” towards using and understanding VirtualDub and FlaskMpeg.

Any ideas about the incompatibility?

Gordian Knot is very easy to install and contains all of the necessary software. The required software is the basic program, update, and DivX 5 codec. DivX 3 & 4 are in the basic program. See DivX 5 Guide.

This it the contents of the basic Gordian Knot program.

I find it to be just as easy to use as Flask or XMpeg with far better stability and results.