I can't quite figure out if a different CD burner will make a difference

vbimport

Well, it’s obvious that it will make a difference of some sort, but I want to know if a different one will make a difference for my situation. I’ve searched through the forums already and feel as though people routinely disagree with one another on the issue of burn/rip accuracy of drives. Some seem to think that bit perfect copies can be achieved as long as one uses Exact Audio Copy, while others believe ten different drives are necessary to cover various burn/rip situations. I’ve gathered that there are definite differences in the accuracy of various drives, but I haven’t determined whether these differences would be enough to make an audible difference when ripping/burning music. I want to know whether a different drive will allow me to rip and burn my audio collection to sound better than music ripped/burned with the one that came with my Dell Dimension 4600. If yes, will the difference be audible? What drive (besides the expensive Plextor Premium 1 and 2) would be the ultimate? Would the Plextor Premium 1 or 2 be much better than the drive you recommend?
Thanks,
Jay

Hi and Welcome![quote=Hellacious D;2058775]I want to know whether a different drive will allow me to rip and burn my audio collection to sound better than music ripped/burned with the one that came with my Dell Dimension 4600. If yes, will the difference be audible?[/quote]What drive is installed in your computer at the moment?
Normally, there won’t be any( audible) difference with different drives.
The only exception might the the error correction, that might fail with bad (scratched) or copy protected (defective by design) music CDs. In that case, distortions like “clicks” and “pops” can be heard.

The other thing is the burning. I don’t like Liteon DVD writers (also their recent CD writers) since they often generate rather high jitter. Such might cause playback problems with certain standalone or car players.

Michael

Thanks for your answer and welcoming me to the forum. I now have even more questions. Why would one purchase multiple drives if the difference doesn’t make a practical difference? Is there data that needs to be copied more accurately than music? Are there some drives that have higher speeds at which they can be accurate at? My main drive is a Samsung SW-252S and my burning drive is a Samsung SD-616E. How can I figure out what speed it rips/burns most accurately at? If the drive accuracy is a non-issue, who makes the most reliable drives?
Thanks,
Jay

[quote=Hellacious D;2058796]Thanks for your answer and welcoming me to the forum. I now have even more questions. [/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

Why would one purchase multiple drives if the difference doesn’t make a practical difference?
Most users’ main application is DVD burning. Since all drives have their individual features, strenghts and weaknesses, many users own several drives. Just some examples:
Drive A is an excellent reader, but a not-so-good burner with certain media.
Drive B supports “disc quality scanning”, but is a poor CD writer
Drive C is an excellent burner for certain media, but a not-so-good reader
Drive D does a nice job with CD-R
etc.

Is there data that needs to be copied more accurately than music?
The main focus is DVD burning nowadays.

Are there some drives that have higher speeds at which they can be accurate at?
It depends. For ripping, if you are using EAC, this should get the most out of your drive. Perhaps there are some drives, that are faster in ripping. I like my old LG 4163 for this. When it comes to burning, the general rule of thumb is “burn at 16x using high quality media” At the moment, I would recommend LG GH20, Samsung SH-S203B or Pioneer 215 (all are SATA, but these have also some P-ATA(IDE) brothers).
My main drive is a Samsung SW-252S and my burning drive is a Samsung SD-616E. How can I figure out what speed it rips/burns most accurately at?
I have no idea how these drive perform. With reading, I would suggest using EAC in secure mode. Slow with some drives, but the best mix of speed and accuracy. With burning, you should be okay at 16x unless you [I]hear[/I] distortions. In that case, either lower the speed or try other media.

If the drive accuracy is a non-issue, who makes the most reliable drives?
Let me add the NEC 720 series to the list above. You might check the reviews if there is a drive that fits your needs.

Michael

@ Hellacious D,

Suggest visiting the Media Testing/Identifying Software Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/) and review the Read First posting titled “CD-DVD Speed – A User Guide” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/cd-dvd-speed-user-guide-192563) and read up on the topics “Digital Audio Extraction (DAE) Speed” and “DAE Quality Test”.

Also suggest checking out the “Exact Audio Copy” software program ->

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Regards,
bjkg

What characteristics of a drive would make it be each of the things you mentioned? For example: What is Drive A doing that makes it an excellent reader, but a not-so-good burner with certain media? If all drives have the potential to read perfectly with EAC, how could any drive be a poor reader? Is it just that your statement about Drive A applies only to DVD or do some drives just fail to read nasty CDs? Also, is a not-so-good burner with certain media characterized failure to make a copy consistently or does this statement only apply to DVD? How can Drive B be a poor CD writer? Are you just talking about consistency of making a copy here?
I’m basically trying to figure out whether CD drives are a work/don’t work kind of thing or if there are certain drives that will burn a working copy that sounds bad or rip a working file that sounds bad. You mentioned the possibility of distortion from a drive with poor error correction. Where can I look to find drives with good error correction? I looked at some reviews on this site, but it’s hard to find reviews on drives that specialize in CD burning.
Sorry for the in-depth analysis of your post, but I think it will help me understand all this stuff much better.
Thanks,
Jay

[QUOTE=Hellacious D;2058850]If all drives have the potential to read perfectly with EAC, how could any drive be a poor reader?[/QUOTE]

Yes all the drives can read a CD perfectly with EAC but there are some drives that have better error correction than others. I’ll give you an example : I have a Lite-On LH-20A1H and a LG GSA-H62N, both can read CDs with any problem but what happens if your cd has scratches or dust or your cd is damaged? In my case the LG drive report errors and you can hear clicks and noises, while the LiteOn drive reads the cd without any problem. In contrast of this the LiteOn drive is an horrible cd burner and the LG drive is excellent.

Nowdays it’s hard to find a drive with good error correction. My old LG GSA-4160B has a very good error correction; I was able to recover a lot of damaged cds with this drive. Too bad that my drive is dying :sad: it heats a lot.

[QUOTE=Hellacious D;2058850] How can Drive B be a poor CD writer?[/QUOTE]

As I said before LiteOns are not very good cd writers, see this topic. LGs are very good cd writers but these drives won’t scan; I also heard and read here, that recent Samsungs (20x models) are good cd writers too (I don’t own these models but the one that I have, sucks :a).