I can't give blood!

vbimport

I don’t know about any of you, but the Red Cross often plays commercials on local TV, and calls me as well asking for blood donations. I go to a donation center only to find that I’m not even eligible, thanks to new regulations concerning those who have lived in Europe.

So at the same time that they are screaming about blood banks’ supply being at an all time low, they have alienated not only a large percentage of the population, but in fact one of the largest and most frequent groups of donors - the military. And not only that, time spent ‘in-utero’ counts as well, so many children born in foreign countries are also disqualified from donating.

Sorry I’m just a bit mad.

In-Depth Discussion of Variant Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease and Blood Donation You are not eligible to donate if, since 1980, you :
* Spent a total time of 3 months or more in any of these countries:
England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands, or

* Spent a total time of 6 months or more in any combination of these countries:
  Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belarus, Belgium, Boznia/Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Island, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Republic of), Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira Islands, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Netherlands (Holland), Northern Ireland, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Scotland, Slovak Republic (Slovakia), Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Vatican City, Wales, Yugoslavia (includes Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia)

* Received insulin derived from cattle (bovine) from any of the countries listed above

* Received a blood transfusion in any of these countries:
  England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands 

http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/blood/supply/cjdv.html

Sounds like the US of A only wants pure , and thus healthy blood. You sure it was the Red Cross ? Sounds more like a KKK roadshow to me.

Whoops… what am i typing now ? Bad Mr. Belvedere , Bad Mr. Belvedere … bad bad bad… stop trying to educate the mases… bad bad bad…

Weird … Iran and Iraq are not on the list ?

I, as a blood donor for a couple of years in The Netherlands, can’t give blood in the USA if I wanted. :confused: :frowning: :a :Z

…hmmm fear of BSE anyone?

Lol we have NEVER had a BSE-case here so that list is jibberish. If they dont want your blood thats their loss.

They said i could not give blood because i was a nee mick but iam english not Irish me thinks there daft LOL;) :wink:

The Red Cross has the same rules in Oz. The problem is that only 3% of people give blood (Australian statistic as quoted by Red Cross).

The rules were brought in as a precaution against being sued if in the future someone got CJD through this method. It’s all about “a duty of care” and insurance.

Remember when HIV and AIDS was just heard of? Well, all sorts of authoritative doctors said it could not be transmitted in various ways. Unfortunately some of these proved to be innacurate in the light of subsequent history and there have been various law suits by those who contracted HIV from blood products even before anyone knew it was a risk.

On this basis you’d have to blame lawyers and insurance companies for the degree of paranoia created over third party liability when organisations “should have known better” even before the knowledge was available :confused:

I watched a current affairs report on a person who contracted CJD in the UK. It is believed that it was from eating infected meat. The story was about the family’s battle with the government and medical authorities to be able to give him an experimental treatment that had been shown to be effective in mice. The court battles took many months, but they finally won. Apparently he has improved quite a bit on the treatment, but the recovery is severely limited by the brain damage done in the intervening months while the court battles were going on. It was a really sad story.

What makes me angry is that a person who has been pronounced “terminal” is disallowed from trying an experimental treatment. :a After all, what is the worst outcome?

To my knowledge humans might be infected by prions in 2 ways:

1. Acquired infection (diet/meat from infected animal and following medical procedures such as surgery, growth hormone injections, corneal transplants with the latter the only way that has been proved to cause the disease)

2. Apparent hereditary mendelian transmission where it is an autosomal and dominant trait which is not consistant with an infectious agent

Didnt know simple blood transfusions can also be responsible.

Originally posted by Hemispasm
…Didnt know simple blood transfusions can also be responsible.

Actually I don’t think anyone else does either. It’s just a matter of caution in an unknown and poorly understood area. Along with the caution there was a good deal of pragmatism and expediency (ie. if too cautious then there would be a huge shortage in supply of blood products, resulting in loss of life, so the bans were phased in and didn’t require existing stocks to be subjected to the ban.)

The quote below is an extract from Mad-cow.org.

The problem is that scientists just don’t know if the illness can be spread that way. There’s never been a human case where that happened. But at issue is a new fatal disease that doctors don’t yet understand – and some scientists have successfully transmitted similar illnesses to animals through blood.

``The day you find out there is (human) transmission, you’re years too late’’ to protect the blood supply, warned Dr. Linda Detwiler of the U.S. Agriculture Department as the panel voted 12-9 that FDA should forbid some blood donations. The FDA is not bound by its advisers’ recommendations, but typically follows them.

If it does so in this case, it must decide how long someone had to stay in Britain to be deemed enough of a risk to refuse their blood. That’s crucial because an American Red Cross study found almost 23 percent of recent blood donors had traveled to Britain at least once between 1980 and 1996. If the FDA barred them all, the United States would face a critical blood shortage.

The advisory panel said the concern is not a typical week-long tourist trip. Instead, a majority said Americans must have spent a total of over six months in Britain between 1980 and 1996 before being blocked from donating blood. Some advisers wanted the time extended to over a year, excluding fewer people.

Blood donations are dropping every year even as demand for blood increases, and every summer and during holidays parts of the country experience serious shortages. If the FDA blocks travelers who spent a total of six months in Britain, there will be a 2.2 percent drop in the U.S. blood supply, the Red Cross study said.

I remember it because I spent 4 months working in the UK and had to check the details of the ban to determine if it applied to me. It didn’t, but at every blood donation you have to fill in a form that asks that question, among many others.

If you ask me I’d already call it near critical, at any given time Connecticut only has a few hours worth of blood on hand, and they run twelve blood drives daily to get that.

prions suck ass. stop feeding animals sheep meat.

Here here ckin2001. Cows never were carnivores, let alone cannibals. Grass should do for ruminants…

Well um… if blood from people that have visited Britain is such a risk then shouldn’t Britan (and a lot of other countries) be the risk themselves. And thus they should forbid travelers to reenter the country :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Donald_Duck
Well um… if blood from people that have visited Britain is such a risk then shouldn’t Britan (and a lot of other countries) be the risk themselves.

Thought Britain was a bloody risk??!/gs. :wink:

I can’t give blood, but for a slightly diffrent reason:

I am a long term anemic (for the uneducated, that means I don’t have enough iron in my blood) and I actually found out how bad when I went to donate blood at 19.

After I gave blood I felt like crap, but they said that after a few minutes I would be OK, but half an hour later I was still not good, so they got an ambulance and sent me to hospital.

Aparantly, because I have been anemic for so long that my body goes on a bit of a panic when I loose so much blood, so they put me on a long term treatment (I’m still on it) and told me not to donate blood while my iron is so low.

I don’t know why you need to know this, but I’d just thought I’d share that little nugget of my life with you all.