I can't get my DVD's to play

Hi! I am new to burning DVDs. I downloaded an .avi file so I can watch it on my home DVD player and I also got the codecs and image thing needed to play it in Windows Media player. Then I go to burn and I make sure that it is in DVD mode, and start the burn. Then when it is finished and I go to play it on my DVD player it will not play it says disc error. Help, what am I doing wrong, anyone know??? Thanks!

Some dvd players can play avi files, but not all avi files are made the same. An avi file is just a container file, and the codecs used in the video can vary a lot. Your avi file may not be compatible with your player…though I cannot say that is definitely the problem.

Normally, when you burn an avi file onto a disk, you burn as simple data files.

If you want to convert the avi file to dvd-video, you can use free tools for that, including AVStoDVD, DVDFlick or FAVC. Then burn to a disk with your normal burning program or a free program called ImgBurn.

Use good media, like Verbatim, and burn at a moderate speed.

[QUOTE=mrswilliams040208;2234325]Hi! I am new to burning DVDs. I downloaded an .avi file so I can watch it on my home DVD player and I also got the codecs and image thing needed to play it in Windows Media player. Then I go to burn and I make sure that it is in DVD mode, and start the burn. Then when it is finished and I go to play it on my DVD player it will not play it says disc error. Help, what am I doing wrong, anyone know??? Thanks![/QUOTE]

What program are you using to burn to dvd would help? Remember cause it plays on your computer doesn’t mean it will play on your standalone unit.

I am using Windows Media Player to try and burn.

Windows Media Player is not the best program to use to do what you trying to do. To convert the avi try one of the above mentioned programs or you can try the free version of divxtodvd. For a better burning program try CDBurner XP