I can't find a review for this Plextor drive: PX-L890SA-26

vbimport

Has this site stopped reviewing DVD drives? Any info on this drive will be helpful.

Manny.

Well now you are talking about a great CD/DVD Burner, I go back many years with a Plextor. This is the only CD/DVD Drive I have bought that has not gone bad on me throughout the years. I have a Plextor BDRW right now the PX-B940SA, and it works fantastic. You can find a couple of your Models at Newegg. I say go for it, but think about getting a Blu-ray Burner. :cool:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007589%2050001323&IsNodeId=1&name=Plextor

Good grief.

Plextor stopped making their own drives many years ago. They sell rebadged drives now, mostly Lite-on clones (though at least one of their blu ray drives was a Pioneer).

If you’re going to buy a Lite-on, you might as well pay Lite-on prices.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2606956]Good grief.

Plextor stopped making their own drives many years ago. They sell rebadged drives now, mostly Lite-on clones (though at least one of their blu ray drives was a Pioneer).

If you’re going to buy a Lite-on, you might as well pay Lite-on prices.[/QUOTE]

Kerry56, you are a knowledgeable person, but you better talk to Dee, she wrote a review on my Plextor BDRW in March of 2010. I lived in Fremont, CA where they have a Manufacturing Plant. I have been buying Plextor’s going way back into the 1990’s. Lite-On is a different Company, they can’t even touch Plextor. I only buy and install the best Hardware, and Plextor is high on my list. :cool:

Yes I do know this subject and your Plextor PX-B940SA is actually a Pioneer drive; it is the Pioneer 205 to be exact.

Read post #20 from this thread, written by [B]cvs,[/B] one of our more knowledgeable members here: http://club.myce.com/f142/myce-presents-plextor-px-b940sa-blu-ray-writer-review-310306/

I do believe I mentioned the fact that one of the Plextor blu ray drives was a Pioneer rebadge in my first post. Nothing much wrong with that, other than much poorer firmware support from Plextor, as the Pioneer 205 is an excellent drive. But it isn’t a true Plextor. They have not been made for a long time.

The newest Plextor blu ray drive is a Lite-on clone. Most of their current dvd drives are too, though I haven’t tried to keep up with them all that closely. You can do a bit of reading in the forums to confirm this fact.

By the way, some of the last of the “real” Plextors were the PX-760 series. The PX-760SA was a sata interface drive, the PX-760A was IDE, both introduced in [B]May of 2006.[/B]

I did check out your story and looked some things up, and it’s sad but I think you are correct. I go way back with Plextor, and most of my Builds have had one, and they have never broken down on me. The oldest Build that I had running Windows XP with a P4, and I gave to my Granddaughter had a Plextor, and it’s over 10 years old still running good. In my new Build running Windows 7 Pro and a Core i7, has a Plextor BDRW and it works fantastic backing up my Blu-ray Movies. Like you said, Pioneer is not a bad Drive either. So even if they are Rebadged, Plextor must be doing a good job putting it together. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2607181]So even if they are Rebadged, Plextor must be doing a good job putting it together. :cool:[/QUOTE]LiteOn generally has good quality products these days. :iagree: All things considered, I haven’t heard any overwhelmingly bad press about any original manufacturer of drives these days.

I don’t know about that Albert. QSI is making drives for Pioneer these days (at least their dvd drives), and QSI has an awful reputation. Pioneer has been making some decidedly mediocre dvd drives since they switched to QSI, though their blu ray drives are still very good.

And as far as Plextor putting them together well, I doubt they do anything more than write the firmware and send it out to the factory so they can be flashed there.