I can't decide which burner to buy!

I have read the stickeys and other posts on which burner to buy, but I still can’t decide. I want a CD burner that is best for making backups of games, especially of ones that use the newer versions of Safedisk protection (i.e. Battlefield 1942.) I either want to buy a Lite-On 48x24x48 or an Asus 48x16x48. First of all: which speed of a Lite-On should I buy if I were going to get a Lite-On? Do I want the 52x version? Is there any difference between the two? I don’t plan to use any re-writeable CDs, so the speed for re-writeables doesn’t matter. I’m extremely confused because a lot of people say that Lite-On is best for copying games, while others say that the ASUS burner can do what Lite-On does, and more. (From the “What Burner Should I Buy?” post. Can someone clear this all up for me?

I don’t think it really matters which one you get. Any advice given is only based on experiences up to NOW; never futureproof. Lite-on seems to beat the latest Safedisc releases, but I guess Safedisc engineers know that by now, so they’ll change their furure protections. Maybe Lite-on can bypass it again with a firmware update or CloneCD/Alcohol can, maybe not and then you’ll need emulation (e.g. done with Alcohol).

But to backup recent released games, you’ll be safest with Lite-on. But don’t blame me if it turns out that ASUS can backup future “Safedisc3” and Lite-on can’t :slight_smile:

Which one is most compatable with different types of Media? I usually use Fujifilm or Memorex media. I still need more opinions!

Originally posted by Maverick53168
Which one is most compatable with different types of Media? I usually use Fujifilm or Memorex media. I still need more opinions!

How many opinions can reduce your confusion?

I’m extremely confused because a lot of people say that Lite-On is best for copying games, while others say that the ASUS burner can do what Lite-On does, and more. (From the “What Burner Should I Buy?” post. Can someone clear this all up for me?

Right now, Lite-On 52x seems to be the best but what can I say more?

Fujifilm and Memorex are not major media manufacturers. Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, CMC, Prodisc, Princo, and some others are. Some Fuji and some Memorex media are made by Taiyo Yuden. Ritek seems to produce about 2 billion CD-R disks in a year and Taiyo Yuden about 0.7 billion. (6 billion worldwide in 2002.)

The Polaroid BurnMAX48 can safely backup Safedisc 2.8.x& SecuROM 4.8.x as I’ve already tested. This drive is considered a rebagged Litey and it’s really cheap to buy in the USA. It would be my advice to grab a Lite-ON but this is NO guarentee that this drive will safely backup future versions of Safedisc& SecuROM. The Yamaha F1 can defeat Key2Audio& Cactus Data Shield but is only a 1 sheep burner. This drive is considered the best “all in one” cdrw. I hope I don’t confuse you (hehe)… :smiley:

Shoebedobedoo :cool:

Well, I live in the US, so I haven’t heard about a lot of foreign media. I think I will get a Lite-On. You can’t really tell if any of the burners we have now will be able to handle the copy protection. Firmware upgrades might fix this though, right?

Originally posted by Maverick53168
Well, I live in the US, so I haven’t heard about a lot of foreign media.

There are very, very few people on this forum who live in Taiwan. (Not me certainly and I do not know any.) :slight_smile:

Most high-quality CD-R media sold in the US market are made by Taiyo Yuden, a Japanese company that has factories in Japan, South Korea, US, and many other countries. TY may account for 10% of worldwide CD-R production. Most of the rest are made by a few Taiwanese manufacturers. Be sure to get TY-made Memorex and Fuji media.

Yep LiteOn writers r the one to go, they r cheap and can do SD2 protection with clonecd and not very picky with cdrs:)…i’ve got a Yamaha F1 writer and the drive is pretty, but is very picky about cdrs…