I can't burn my Lightscribe DVD labels

:a HELP!

I have an internal HP 16x SATA Dual Layer DVD burner with LightScribe (HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GSA-H31L), and although I can burn CDs/DVDs fine and can also burn LightScribe labels on CDs fine, I CANNOT seem to get my LightScribe DVD labels to burn.

I have tried lots of different discs to see if maybe there was a fault with a batch of discs that I had but to no avail. The data seems to burn fine, but when I flip the disc over to “print” the label, it keeps coming up with a “Print Process Failed” “An internal error occurred”.

I am using the latest release of Nero 7, and have updated my LightScribe drivers but still no dice!

Any ideas? This is REALLY annoying as I have paid much more for these perfectly good LightScribe discs only to have to resort to hand-writing on them because I can’t print on them.

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard alexsheehan. :iagree: :clap:
Have you tried their diagnostics tool?
[B]Here:[/B]

Are you using the Intel Application Accelerator software? That can cause this error so I’d uninstall it if so.

Also, you don’t mention the brand of LS DVDs. :slight_smile:

Edit: zebadee snuck in with a great suggestion :clap:…oops, and welcome to CDF! :flower:

Thanks guys! No I am not using Intel Application Accellerator, I’ve actually got an AMD 3600+ x2 Processor!

Yes I tried the diagnostic tool and this states everything is working perfectly!

As I mentioned it only happens when I’m trying to print the top of a LightScribe DVD, LightScribe CDs work perfectly!

I’m using HP branded LightScribe discs, but I’ve also tried other brands & still the same result.

I’ve also made sure the surface is clean everytime.

Is Verbatim among the brands you’ve tried? It’s rather odd that it only flakes out with DVD LS media and not CDR.

Might be worth a try with Verbs if you haven’t already. :slight_smile:

As a last resort, maybe try the drive and LS software on another PC.

Thanks Arachne

No haven’t tried Verbatim. Haven’t got access to Verbs at mo, but will try when I can. Will also try in another machine when I get chance.

To add, I have just downloaded SureThing Label Software and this came up with the same (and slightly different) message stating “LightScribe Engine Error”.

Does this shed a little more light on the subject?

Cheers guys!

If you haven’t already done so you need to download the lightscribe host updates from the nero site. http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/System_Requirement_Updates.html

This page has the update at the bottom

Good luck

Thanks wiegmanj, I will try this out tonight when I get home and see if this helps. Many thanks for your help! :bow:

don’t suppose your using windows vista? there is, apparently, known issues with with nero 7, vista & lightscribe. Perhaps even with xp also. Many seem to have found a cure by using Nero 6 (which I thought was incompatible with Vista anyway) or using a third party program. I am using the surething labeler, of which they do a free 30 day trial.

Hi guys!

Thanks for all your help, after much experimenting & deliberation. I have solved my little mystery!

It’s nothing to do with the type/quality of discs (in my particular case). I tried different drives, discs, different burning software, Lightscribe printing software/drivers etc. all to no avail.

I finally decided to check out any background processes that were running on my PC to see if they were causing any problems. Lo and behold, it was PowerDVD all along!

As soon as I disabled PowerDVD from running at startup (removed it from startup options in msconfig) and also its “RichVideo” service which is also running in the background, it worked perfectly!

I can still have PowerDVD installed, I just disabled its background startup services!

I now have a fully functioning Lightscribe drive!

Thank you once again guys, I just thought I’d better let you all know, just in case anyone else is in the same predicament! Obviously this has worked for me, it might not work for everyone, also there might be other utilities that other people have got running in the background on their PC that might interfere with LightScribes functionality! Keep me posted, it would be interesting to find out!

CHEERS! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

yes, power dvd can cause communication errors while lightscribbing,that happened to me also in the begining. so better dont run it while burning labels

ok im haveing the same prob but with cd and dvd and powerDVD is tuned off on startup

if you are burning a label be sure the image you are burning is not covering the light scribe code near the center of the disk. this interferes with the read of the disk.
brad

thought of that, tryed using just a small part of text and still wont read it. i used lightscribe diag utility to read drive and it says there is no media when i have a lightscribe disk in

Does anybody know if it is really important to burn labels on Lightscribe brand DVDs? I have tried to label different brands and it doesn’t work. Does it only work with Lightscribe discs?

[QUOTE=loana;2299922]Does anybody know if it is really important to burn labels on Lightscribe brand DVDs? I have tried to label different brands and it doesn’t work. Does it only work with Lightscribe discs?[/QUOTE]

You NEED to use LS disks with LS.

That is exactly what I am going through. It’s only my DVD lightscribe discs that I cannot burn once in a while. It’s like I have to keep unplugging my external lightscribe burner and let it cool down or something before it can begin printing again. I too have Power DVD but don’t have it in the start up nor is it running in the background. One time I lightscribed my disc first then copied the movie. It worked for a little while then I had to unplug my external again. Weird.

It only works on lightscribe discs.

As for my internal sata burner I too am having a hard time printing lightscribe discs. It would print once after turning on my computer but after that nothing. It’s just as if when the drive gets hot just by being “on” the lightscribe laser gets hot and won’t print or something like that.