I cannot read any disk in my LiteOn DVD-RAM SHM-165P6S

Today I have a problem with my burner. It’s an excellent piece of hardware and is always reliable however now it just cannot read any disk making it problemic if I want to burn something. I was using Roxio in making a data DVD but then a problem occured. It one of those mishaps i guess but after that i quit Roxio now i have no idea what the hell Roxio had done to burner. I think this is where the problem is. I might just try to reinstall Roxio but I was wondering if there was any such way fix this. Hope someone can help. Anyways cyas.

Try booting system from a bootable CD or DVD. U will know whether ur drive is dead or otherwise.

Can the drive read CDs? The DVD laser may have died if it can read CD but not DVD for which drive replacement would be the only fix.

It just cannot read ANY disk. I tried putting a audio cd in the drive and it doesn’t show anything. The computer actually is having trouble with the drive, it just get tooooooo damn slow. Try to open My Computer and the window would just sit there frozen. And it was just working yesterday no problems. Also whenever i put in a blank disk in the drive a window comes up of the Blank Disk. It never appears anymore. Just saying this because it suspicious behaviour to me.

Guys I found the problem. I knew it was all Roxio’s doing. However this is what happened. It seemed Roxio 9 installed a Roxio Controller (of some sort) which is under “SCSI and RAID Controllers” when you open up “Device Manager”, and there it was, the Roxio Controller. I uninstalled the controller then I repaired Roxio 9. Now the Roxio Controller isn’t there in SCSI and RAID Controllers but my burner can read disks now. Maybe someone explained what the hell just happened. I’m satisfied but hopefully this will never happen again. Anyways bye.

Jesus. I HATE ROXIO SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! Nothing has changed. I thought i fixed it i mean i saw the DVD-RAM drive as a CD Icon with Blank Disk. well the Roxio Controller is gone as mentioned b4. What the hell is going on???

That is a normal thing with windows to have your dvd drive show up as a cd drive.

I’ll spare my comments about roxio… :a

([I]Edit[/I], I see [I]pfloyd1[/I] already mentioned what I was typing.) :cool:

XangelMusic, have you tried with bootable cd as suggested above?

Other than that I suggest you to uninstall roxio, clean upper and lower filters (link in [I]zebadee[/I] and [I]chef[/I] signature for relevant tool)
Then install a freeware cd/dvd burning app like CDBurnerxp, or trial version of Nero. :wink:

Keep us posted.

I never liked Roxio and switched to Nero years ago. FYI Nero can be found for about $5 from various vendors. Just do Google search for “Nero 6 OEM Suite,” and then get latest update from Nero site after installing. Be sure to uninstall Roxio first if you do decide to switch to Nero since the two are incompatible and can create serious problems if installed together.

ummmm I have both Roxio and Nero together on this and both work fine. Its just software that’s all. Just only that they have always worked so far for a long while I just don’t what happened here after that Roxio error, but yea i just uninstalled Roxio and I’m trying to do that boot disk thing. I’ll also uninstall Nero as well since you made a good point.

My first CD-RW drive came with Roxio at which time I was unaware of the compatibility issue with Nero. While trying to do some writing with Roxio after installing Nero, the drive made an awful noise and made a very bad scratch on the disc where upon I immediately uninstalled Roxio. However, you don’t need to uninstall Nero too. Either Nero or Roxio should work okay as long as they aren’t both installed.

What boot disk thing are you trying to do? nLite is a very good utility for Win2K or WinXP that makes it very easy to create bootable slipstreamed discs or just a boot disk if desired. Check http://www.nliteos.com/ which also has link for vLite for Vista if interested.

Ok this is what’s happening now. I’m kinda stubborn in the boot disk thing because I’m kinda of a noob in making a boot disk and how to use it however here’s a new development. I gave my burner to my brother in which he placed it in his comp. It doesn’t work. The sames issue arise where the burner does take a long time to load a disk and at the end doesn’t read any disk at all whether blank or an actual audio CD like Black Eyed Peas “Elephunk”. Everyones coming to the conclusion that the problem is the drive itself.

Failure to work in another system is indicative of a bad drive that needs replacing.

Hi, I have a problem also with my DVD-RAM Drive…
It cannot read any disc, when I put any disc inside of it, it only shows nothing…

please can anyone help me…

[QUOTE=bevills1;1772766]I never liked Roxio and switched to Nero years ago. FYI Nero can be found for about $5 from various vendors. Just do Google search for “Nero 6 OEM Suite,” and then get latest update from Nero site after installing. Be sure to uninstall Roxio first if you do decide to switch to Nero since the two are incompatible and can create serious problems if installed together.[/QUOTE]

Roxio, baaaaaad!

Nero, Gooooood!