I bought this CD/RW drive

vbimport

After deciding to buy this internal drive because it was affordable with so many rebates, I have a few questions… The drive I am replacing is a Sony140crx, it is a DVD drive also. I bought this Cendyne 48x12x48, at office max online to replace it. I don’t need the DVD drive, and can’t afford to replace it because they are expensive, also Nero software is included with the new CD/RW drive. I hated the Adaptec software that came with the sony. My question. This will not make any difference if I replace the DVD/CD/RW drive with the cheaper Cendyne drive will it. Or do I have to use the same drive that was previously in it. The sony was already in the PC when I bought it. I don’t think I ever used the DVD part of it. I am installing it myself, is it easy to do? Thanks!

ur old drive was definitely not “a DVD drive also.” it’s probably a good thing u never tried using the “DVD part of it” heh.

new drives are easy to install, basically just take out the old one and put in the new one. i’m not sure what kind of differences u’re looking for, unless u’re referring to the DVD ability of the drives, of which there are none.

I think you might have lucked out and got yourself a rebadged LiteOn! I would search this forum for info on Cendyne being a rebadged LiteOn.:wink:

It doesn’t matter, it’s not like he’ll flash it w/ Lite-On f/w.

Re: Installing new CD writer
Just make sure you set the jumper correctly (master if you hook it up to the end of the IDE cable and slave if at the middle).

The installation part is what I’m afraid of. Not getting it in there correctly could kill my PC. Thanks to everyone who helped, I appreciate it!!!

Originally posted by kcox1
The installation part is what I’m afraid of. Not getting it in there correctly could kill my PC. Thanks to everyone who helped, I appreciate it!!!
Your computer isn’t killed that easily… :wink: :wink: Installing a new CD-RW drive really is a piece of cake. As said here just make sure your drive is set to the correct position (master or slave). When installing your drive you’ll probably only have to connect two cables; the power cable and the IDE flat cable. Connecting audio cables is optional and not needed (it’s not even needed to play audio CDs). Good luck.

I had a relative from up north send me a CenDyne 48X12X48 drive for Christmas. Upon opening it I found it was really a rebadged Optorite 48X16X48 and it gave me nothing but problems. After going around in circles for three months with CenDynes online support, I finally wrote to them directly and low and behold they exchanged it out for a 48X12X48 Lite-On drive. Their Tech support sucks, but at least they stood by the warranty and opted to give me the drive I wanted. If the model number on the box is CW-4802, its almost certain to be an Optorite, and if it is, good luck with it.

but at least they stood by the warranty

i don’t see what u mean by that since they’re not obligated to provide a lite-on. in fact, they went above and beyond what they had to do by replacing the drive.

“Upon opening it I found it was really a rebadged Optorite 48X16X48 and it gave me nothing but problems.”

I have an Optorite CW5205 and I’ve only had it for about 7 months and can’t use it anymore. I get write speed of only 4x when it’s supposed to be a 52x24x52. If I try to write at 4x it gives a power calibration error. I checked the Optorite website but there are no FAQs on this problem. I’ve checked my cables, my jumper settings haven’t been messed with, my media isn’t the problem (used smartburn) and tried Nero 5 and Deepburn, still detects at 4x. Optorite has lousy tech support (I’ve emailed and received no answer) and the firmware upgrade for my model number gives an error ‘not support for this!’. What kind of crap is that?