I bought an internal drive and enclosure.... now what

vbimport

Well. I just bought a Seagate Barracuda and a Bytecc 3.5" HDD mobile enclosure. I recieved both of them in the mail. It did not come with instructions and I’m really lost and don’t know what to do. Can anyone help me?

I’m assuming that it is a internal SATA drive (those are the ones I’m familiar with). If that is the case, install the drive into the enclosure. Plug it into your computer via the USB (or firewire). If you are using Windows XP, it should recognize the drive without having to install drivers (again assuming that you have SATA controllers on your motherboard). You will then need to initialize the drive and partition it. You do this under device manager and disc management. Once the partitioning is done, you are good to go. :smiley:

I hope it’s not a SATA drive and a PATA enclosure… :doh: The power and data cable connectors inside the enclosure should fit in the drive, if not you’re out of luck. When you get it hooked up, go to Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management to initialize, partition and format the drive.

Most hard drive enclosures that I know of are compatible with SATA or IDE. One or the other - not both. Hook up the IDE cable inside the enclosure and the power cord. There should be a metal bracket (attached to the circuitry) that attaches to the hard drive itself.

Didn’t the enclosure come with any kind of instructions ? It’s rather simple to install.