I bought a BW-16D1HT... mistake?

vbimport

Hi all,

I used to be into flashing DVD drives many years ago, but I haven’t bothered with ODD’s now for about 10 years.

But the other day I decided to buy an Asus BW-16D1HT without much research into it. It should arrive in the next day or so.

After looking at a load of lousy reviews, I wonder if I have made a mistake??

I dont mind crossflashing or fixing the drive if anyones knows of a fix available?

It’s a pain in the butt to return the drive to the shop I got it from, so if anyone can give me some good advice it would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks,

loiphin.

jadburner or cvs … Dont you wanna chime in with your thoughts?

I cant PM until I am 5 posts in… only two to go :slight_smile:

BUMP BUMP

Ahah! …

All required info/tools in the first four pages of this thread:

P.S.: some reasonable posts in the Living Room would have been more …reasonable.

[QUOTE=loiphin;2762621]Hi all,

I used to be into flashing DVD drives many years ago, but I haven’t bothered with ODD’s now for about 10 years.

But the other day I decided to buy an Asus BW-16D1HT without much research into it. It should arrive in the next day or so.

After looking at a load of lousy reviews, I wonder if I have made a mistake??

I dont mind crossflashing or fixing the drive if anyones knows of a fix available?

It’s a pain in the butt to return the drive to the shop I got it from, so if anyone can give me some good advice it would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks,

loiphin.[/QUOTE]

The drive would not be my first choice as a burner, but it’s more than adequate for ripping. What other choices do you have available?

Okay, but going back to my original question. Should I bother crossflashing or is the original 1.01 firmware okay? What are the benefits of crossflashing?

Its a bit difficult to understand how to actually flash the drive from the 5 pages of posts. (Sorry have been out of this for 10+ years… )

I have not seen an appreciable difference between this drive’s burns and those of a BH16NS40 on the same media. If you stick to high quality media like Panasonic/DigiStor MEIRA1, you should be fine with this drive. However, it’s unlikely that the Asus version of this drive will see many (if any) firmware updates, and more likely that the LG version will.

@loiphin
You have to use an unlocked Flash Tool from another model and than manually select the bin file.
All required files & how-to in the linked zip archieve: http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/QyfwAtIy/file.html