I bet you cant solve this without an os reinstall

I upgraded to vista ultimate a few months ago and had not installed any burning software. just the other day i installed an older version of nero and tried to burn some data files to disk and there was no drive. It does exist in my computer and I can burn cd’s as well as dvd’s in wmp and winamp. however if i use any other software there is no drive. then only thing i have found is a firmware upgrade for my particular drive for this issue. However when i click on the exe file it says drive not found in one window and then in another window says firmware not compatible with the selected drive. but the drive in device manager is matched with the firmware update. have fun i look forward to trying some cool stuff trying to fix this.

Hi and Welcome!

maybe this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/

Michael

The advice in the MS looks good you might try that first.
If no luck with that then uninstall the older Nero.Reboot.
When installing the older Nero again R click on the install .exe file what ever it’s named.
Select Properties ; then compatibility tab.Try the XP first.If still no luck you have to uninstall again & work back.
Also use run as administrator on the install.
Last is your Vista Ultimate 32 or 64 bit ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2309397]
When installing the older Nero again R click on the install .exe file what ever it’s named.
Select Properties ; then compatibility tab.[/QUOTE]I’d rather suggest to install a Vista compatible version of Nero.
Latest 7.11.10 is (available as free update for Nero 7 users), older Versions (Nero 6.x) should be avoided under all circumstances.

Michael

@mciahel; No disagreement here. A newer Vista compatible version would be better.