I Believe my WD hdd is dying

vbimport

I do believe the drive is dying a slow and painful death by the looks of the benchmark test
and it will not complete the WD Quick test glad it is still under warranty and luckly I have a
brand new one on the way as I type this that I bought last night.

Hmmmm… maybe it could just be a bad SATA cable but it is a brand new cable so I’m
inclined to think it is the drive dying maybe it is RMA time. :iagree:

Here is the HD Tune benchmark test and the WD quick test result as you can see it never does
finish the quick test I let it set there for 18 minutes and it is only supposed to take around 2 or
so minutes to run it and on my WD 1TB it finishes in 1 minute and 59 seconds.

I’ve had BAD sata cables, even new ones try replacing it before you replace the drive.

One more vote for a new cable, and btw this is a slow death :bigsmile: also the crappy seagate software says that everything is OK with the drive.

[QUOTE=vroom;2562263]One more vote for a new cable, and btw this is a slow death :bigsmile: also the crappy seagate software says that everything is OK with the drive.[/QUOTE]

OUCH!!! now that is definitely a slooooooooooooow death :eek:

Ok going to replace the cable and see if that helps any if not
then it is definitely RMA time for sure. :iagree:

Crystal disk info, and the good news from Seatools, saying that everything is OK :confused:

[QUOTE=getit29;2562258]I do believe the drive is dying a slow and painful death by the looks of the benchmark test
and it will not complete the WD Quick test glad it is still under warranty and luckly I have a
brand new one on the way as I type this that I bought last night.

Hmmmm… maybe it could just be a bad SATA cable but it is a brand new cable so I’m
inclined to think it is the drive dying maybe it is RMA time. :iagree:

Here is the HD Tune benchmark test and the WD quick test result as you can see it never does
finish the quick test I let it set there for 18 minutes and it is only supposed to take around 2 or
so minutes to run it and on my WD 1TB it finishes in 1 minute and 59 seconds.[/QUOTE]

ALWAYS try another cable first.

there’s a saying among repair techs in most industries:

“New” does not necissarily equal “Known Good”

I see defective new stuff all the time.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2562425]ALWAYS try another cable first.

there’s a saying among repair techs in most industries:

“New” does not necissarily equal “Known Good”

I see defective new stuff all the time.

AD[/QUOTE]

Ok finally remembered this thread I tried a new cable and it made no difference
what so ever if anything it made it worse also tried different SATA ports on the
mobo and made sure it wasn’t in PIO mode or anything. I installed the new WD
500GB BE hdd and did a clone and right back up there where it should be so it is
definitely RMA time for sure on this old drive. :iagree:

Yes thats a dead drive, my seagate is dead :bigsmile: