I am ready to buy, is there Architectural differnec between 716 and 712

vbimport

16x doesnt matter, 12 is just a minite off and i already have a benq and liteon. What is the most important to me, is burn quality and acuracy, and consistency.
I run a media production company, basically mass produce independent producitons (ALL by hand :smiley: my epson printer and guitonee cutting board) so a few bad fiscs can cost me a client. I stick to Taiyo yuden for my back ups and have been using Prodisc printables, but due to trouble, I am switching over to ritek, so I am sure i wont have media problems
can you cross flash a 712 to 716(I know read the faq)

Also do either of these support Bitsetting, or PIE + PIF. I can live without PIE i have a scanner already, but if no bitsetting, which i am pretty sure there isnt because i would have remember after reading “choosing a 16x” 40 page post

one more thing I am getting SATA for conevnience, and aesetics(alreadu have 6 HD’s) i am aware of the issuues already, and i have a 4port card on the way :slight_smile:

Thanks for any help, hopeully this post will be a good reference
:Z

716 has bitsetting and pif/pie scanning. Burn tests are all over the forum, especially from zevia.

Ritek media (at least not their own in-house MIDs like G04, G05, R2, or R3) is not on the list of recommended media. 716 recommended media is here:

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_716.htm

712 recommended media is here:

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_712.htm

can you cross flash a 712 to 716(I know read the faq)

No.

Also do either of these support Bitsetting, or PIE + PIF. I can live without PIE i have a scanner already, but if no bitsetting, which i am pretty sure there isnt because i would have remember after reading “choosing a 16x” 40 page post.

Yes, Plextor 712 & 716 do booktype bit setting on single-layer (4.7GB) media. I don’t know about dual layer, and at $10 per blank disc I don’t think anybody cares. Yet.

As far as PIE & PIF scanning goes, check out the Post your Plextor DVD quality scans here sticky thread here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=120684

one more thing I am getting SATA for conevnience, and aesetics(alreadu have 6 HD’s) i am aware of the issuues already, and i have a 4port card on the way :slight_smile:

Plextor motherboard/chipset SATA compatibility list here:

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_712SA.htm

…not to mention the thread in this forum, here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=120684

:rolleyes: im going to bite my tongue here.

Well, y’know, we’re all nice guys here, right? :cool:

Besides, I resisted the temptation to fire off a post in that other thread…

your a generous and kind soul ftp1020 :wink:

oh jesus christ,

fine your right, I didnt read all the posts, I am a very busy person and I have to resist reading forums, I suffer greatly in the past due to lack of sleep and poor work performance. So instead of reading everything. I decided to get a good education, when I went after my second drive.

I am a technical person, but sometimes I get sick of it, and can appreciate when it is already done for me, at least objectively

And besides everytime I hear a burner mentioned, its BENQ or NEC. Like I said earlier I was suprised. I heard people say here and there that plextor had lost it’s game. Before I became a CDFreak in the sense of reading into it like on a forum such as this. I bought plextor and new I had gotten the best. I almost did that when I was looking for a 16x and flat out was told by senior members here about Benq’s upmost superiority.

But I must be careful, such as the buyer who buys a mercedes Eclass, because he thinks Mercedes… unaware of the crappy american parts used here and there(thankgod thats not true in real life)

So you all dont think i am totally arrogant, i will be honest, I needed this for my biusness. For somereadon my other burners are having major problems with my Prodisc R- S04 and F01 disks. Like coastering problems!!! I have 200$ of disks that will be worthless. I hope that the plextor will take care of them.

anyways, if it werent for lazy people like me you would be able to get off on whatever it is people get off on when they tell a person they could have read the forums.

OH shit now I know why I am getting lazy, and right I now I am being drop dead serious. I am a techsupport agent for my day job. Lets say its a company named after a fruit (yes I hate them, and my job) and all day, I am duing research, explaining technicals and doing RESEARCH to answer the customer questions, that they could find themselves

excuse my rambles, its 630 am, I get 2 days off a week, and they are not next to each other, usually i have thursday and sunday off, but it fluctuates, anyways, i got to be there in 5 hours

Ftp1020 thanks for your help, at least you enjoy doing it with out complaining. I am trying to join your ranks. like i said with my work and disorganized life the most i can do right now is buy the drives :smiley:

Well it all comes down to this, NEWEGG (gods store) has the 712 for 70 after rebate and the 716 for 124$ no rebate if the only difference ARCHITECTURALLY(whatever that means) is the PIE scanning, then thats fine, but usually when a compny makes a whole new platform(at least we do in benq land) there has to be some significant changes.

Also is benq doing anything special with their lasers? I know benq has something special along the lines of it kinda being like a pendulum, and it cant be knocked out.

UPDATE: oh this is bullsh*t the grief never ends I just had another disc fail, this time a Fing TAIYO YUDEN CDR (Maxwell) brand

I am ordering it now, the 716 SATA and if it doesnt work, Im going back to vinyl and 8mm reel film!

Check out the “Intelligent Tilt” capabilities of the PX716a; I think this is what you’re referring to. I think it has more to do with compensating for warps in the polycarbonate (the clear plastic) of the disc rather than for absorbing impacts (I stopped smacking my computers years ago). This technology seems like one of those paradigms that all drive manufacturers will include soon, even in the face of copyrights. :wink:

You do seem a little overwrought there, charm, maybe you should do what I did when I worked telephone tech support: lots of doobies & beer when you get home from work and when that stops working … quit! :bigsmile:

sounds very familiar :wink: 'cept for the phone tech support part :wink:

The Plextor PX-716A/SA/UF supports bitsetting for DVD+R DL media. The PX-712A obviously doesn’t since it cannot write dual layer media :slight_smile:

It doesn’t?!?! Aww geez, I knew I should have bought it on the way home and not waited until after I got home. :bigsmile:

So the 712 support Bitsetting, too? I looked at the review, but don´t see anything about it?

The 708 can´t bitsetting, I guess?

Yes, the 712 does support bitsetting for single layer DVD + media.

@Scour: The PX-708A/UF also supports bitsetting for single layer DVD+R media. (since firmware v1.09)