I Am Frustrated With Low Quality Blanks

I am really getting tired of the apparent downhill trend in blank disc quality with both TY & Falcon. The following scans are from a non approved scanner; but I have found it to be quite consistent over the last couple years, & I also get consistently identical results with my apparently approved Optiarc 7200-a, though always exactly 2 points lower in the score.

All 4 of these scans are the same film, burned on the same burner at 4x.

The first superior scan was done on one of the last of my TDK/Falcons from Meritline (I would give my first born to find more of these!!!)

The 2nd is from a Falcon silver from Supermedia (it was the best of 3 attempts on this media)

The 3rd is a TY- scratch resistant that I just got today from Rima

The 4th is a TY+ that I just got today from Rima. While the scan shows “id n/a” the actual media id is YUDEN000 T03 per an older version of Nero.

My last batch of +'s from Rima were considerably better than this. I’m thinking that one of the issues with the TY’s is that they have stopped using spacers in the spindle boxes & the discs are bouncing around during shipment. I actually thought i had ordered tape wrap on the -'s, but no such luck.

I also did get a tape wrap of TY cdr’s from Rima at the same time. The scan of the 1st one I burned is quite acceptable (99 score, 99 PIF), though 2 of the PIE spikes are a bit thick I’ll take that those #'s any day!

Only caveat with the cdr was it was under an hour.

Oops, “99 PIF” above re the cdr’s should have read, “99 PIE”!

In my opinion they will only get worse over time, DVDs are on their way out, maybe not this year but soon enough, streaming video will take over, all the rental stores ( Brick and Mortar ) have disappeared in my area and others, I do believe that in a short while, and mind you this is only my opinion, DVDs will go the way of the laser disc and other formats before it.

Just to make sure it is the discs, & not all my burners going bad at once, I pulled out an old P4 XP box that has 2 burners with very low hours on them: Another Optiarc 7200-a & a Pioneer 112d. With a different film, both TY +'s & -'s were WORSE on these burners than they were last night on the Optiarc 7200-s.

If anyone knows a source in the USA for QUALITY discs (I think this probably means either pre-JVC TY, Falcons, or possibly Verbs that are at least 2 years old) PLEASE let me know!

BTW, I am using the latest version of Imgburn.

I feel like I wasted $70+ on these discs; at least I have plenty of mediocre discs to share with my friends!

Thought i would add 1 more thing: Unlike the TY dvdr’s in the same order, I am so pleased with the TY cdr’s (Rima stock # 1168) that I ordered 200 more. I am getting unbelievable scans on these (the last one I did was a score of 99 with total PIE of 35!).

They have gone up $1 per hundred in the last week, so I really hope this is the same batch from my last order; as these are the first decent TY cdr’s I’ve received in around a year. They are labeled as JVC TY’s.

@Alan1746

I sort of have to disagree with your statement that they will get worse over time. Whilst I’m not disagreeing when you say they are on their way out, DVD blank productions, in term of the quality, has hit an all time peak. When people first started DVD burning several years ago during the days of 1 - 8x media, the dyes were simply too unstable because they weren’t harnessed to their full potential. By this, what I mean is technology and better dyes have come a long way since nearly ten years ago when the first mainstream consumer burner was available - in 2002.

Awful

Moo: Those scans look good to me. Most under 1000 PIF and one just over. Don’t obsess with quality scores. Those are very good scans. I do get better burns with the +R. I think that the TY TY02 8x +R are probably the best media made, (no valueline please). Many people agree (the 8x are better than 16x). Burn at 12x all day.

Up until the last year or so, I’ve been used to seeing under 300 PIE’s on Falcons, on the pre JVC TY’s & on my last batch of JVC +'s (though not my current batch) (see the first scan of the old TDK Falcons for an example just over 300).

I just got in a batch of TY pro 8x’s today in tape wrap. Was hoping, but here’s first burn:

I also just noticed that the new batch I got today (Meritline) have small scratches & discolorations all over the first few discs. I remember reading somewhere on this forum that the problem with TY’s is that they’re now doing the packaging in China & handling them poorly. I don’t know if that’s true, but it would make sense. I think I’m about to find out if Meritline requires me to pay return shipping.

Here’s the worst of the scratched ones from the first ten or so.

Does anyone have any recommendations for currently available discs AND VENDOR that you’re CURRENTLY seeing a score of 97 or better & fewer than 500 pif’s?

These days, batch to batch seems to vary greatly, & I’m getting tired of spending $'s on discs for my friends!

Let’s be fair. For your friends, how much “quality” do you need for your friends? What I mean is it doesn’t make sense to buy archival grade discs for something that is like to likely to be giveaway discs or watched once. Even quality discs like Verbatim can be got for pennies - How much do you spend on your discs if they are $'s!? You can get a pack of 100 Verbies for less than £20 over here in Britain…

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2587505]Let’s be fair. For your friends, how much “quality” do you need for your friends? What I mean is it doesn’t make sense to buy archival grade discs for something that is like to likely to be giveaway discs or watched once. Even quality discs like Verbatim can be got for pennies - How much do you spend on your discs if they are $'s!? You can get a pack of 100 Verbies for less than £20 over here in Britain…[/QUOTE]

You miss my point; I am really frustrated that I’m spending this much on discs that aren’t good enough for me, which is why I’m using them for my friends.

I was being sarcastic.

MooMooMooMoo, I must sincerely apologise because I see a bit of hostility arising, but I don’t… Understand what your question is, are you suggesting that your paying expensively, but getting low quality results?

My only hostility is towards the disc manufacturers!

yes, your statement is correct.

I am asking if anyone currently knows of a current source for quality discs that average under 500 PIF on most burns.

About 18 months ago, Meritline had TDK branded Falcons that were superb, & Rima had TY +'s that were also superb.

Per my 1st post of this thread, the TDK Falcons are gone, other current Falcons are mediocre & all TY dvd’s I’ve purchased in the last few months have been junk.

Oh I see. I’m sorry to hear about your bad luck - I’m no scanning expert so I can’t advise in this situation, but if anyone has scans of RitekF1, do let me know. Just a quick thought, have has Verbatims been any good for you? I hear they are pretty good for longtivity, plus if some go awry, no major loss :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2586192]In my opinion they will only get worse over time, DVDs are on their way out, maybe not this year but soon enough, streaming video will take over, all the rental stores ( Brick and Mortar ) have disappeared in my area and others, I do believe that in a short while, and mind you this is only my opinion, DVDs will go the way of the laser disc and other formats before it.[/QUOTE]

Lets not forget that millions of blank discs are still being produced each year. I dont agree with your analogy on this one. I do see that optical media will switch to BDR but everything going to streaming is incorrect. The movie studios will be switching to a new format called ULTRAVIOLET which will be introduced later this summer. Here is the website http://www.uvvu.com/ Notice at the bottom of the page it mentions storage media disc copies. People will still be making a backups using discs. True streaming has gained popularity but disc is still the cheapest portable format per gigabyte that is available. I dont forsee optical media going away for good as it will always be around in our lifetime in one form or another. BTW do you know you can still purchase floppy disc drives and discs?

[QUOTE=TOWERGROVE;2589352]Lets not forget that millions of blank discs are still being produced each year. I dont agree with your analogy on this one. I do see that optical media will switch to BDR but everything going to streaming is incorrect. The movie studios will be switching to a new format called ULTRAVIOLET which will be introduced later this summer. Here is the website http://www.uvvu.com/ Notice at the bottom of the page it mentions storage media disc copies. People will still be making a backups using discs. True streaming has gained popularity but disc is still the cheapest portable format per gigabyte that is available. I dont forsee optical media going away for good as it will always be around in our lifetime in one form or another. BTW do you know you can still purchase floppy disc drives and discs?[/QUOTE]

I would also say that you state that streaming will take over. How is streaming taking over from dvd being used as a storage medium for files exactly?? I store photographs and digitized papers on DVD how is streaming taking over that?

[QUOTE=alan1476;2586192]In my opinion they will only get worse over time, DVDs are on their way out, maybe not this year but soon enough, streaming video will take over, all the rental stores ( Brick and Mortar ) have disappeared in my area and others, I do believe that in a short while, and mind you this is only my opinion, DVDs will go the way of the laser disc and other formats before it.[/QUOTE]

I would also say that you state that streaming will take over. How is streaming taking over from dvd being used as a storage medium for files exactly?? I store photographs and digitized papers on DVD how is streaming taking over that? I dont stream digitized photograps and word documents. :disagree: