I am concerned about Errors on burns with O/Ced 40125w

vbimport

I have converted my 40125S to 48125W..I posted in another thread observations about these errors..

I had an individual with a 40125W report back similar errors so I do not think it is the o/c...

Anyone with a 32x burner 5W series get these errors at 32x speeds or before o/cing...

I have not tried burning at 24x or 32x ..but will to see if the burn errors go away

Errors are very strange...some disc with smaller files sizes had non...one 575 mg file had none..others show a few

Has anyone with a plex 4012(Z-CLV?) get these errors at a 40x burn

Also does anyone with 40125S(Z-CLV writing) fw get these errors....

It maybe the CAV writing is just more prone to errors...

The files on the cdr seem to be fine when checked with CD Check...
so do these errors mean poor longevity for the data and it will be corrupted in a few month, years....????

MY bottom line concern : Are the burns a true poor quality from these burners???

You are not the only one. I am using a TDK Cyclone 40/12/48B (rebagged liteon). I overclocked it to a LTR-48125W. Tested the below media :

ATIP: 97m 22s 67f
Disc Manufacturer: Acer Media Technology, Inc.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

This cdr is rated 24x. I burned an ISO which was 52.51 mins at 40x, no problems. Scandisc in nero cdspeed gave 0 errors. Then I tried another one, this time the ISO/BIN was 62+mins. Tried at 40x. Whoa, straight away damaged sectors (yellow squares) started popping out. :frowning:

Tried another time, this time using 32x. Well, it was slightly better as it gave me lesser errors. But my cdrom (Plex 40x) had trouble reading it. :frowning:

My own thoughts, the more data I have to burn especially over 60 mins, the more prone for errors to occur. Seems like the safe region for my acer media to burn at 40x is somewhere around the 50-55 min mark. :frowning:

I am using vs02 firmware as I thought it was the more stable. Oh well…

:confused:

I have yet to find a reliable media which can burn straight at 40x without a single error.

I’m doing media test now with LTR-40125S, fw ZS0A and ZS0J. And oc’ed LTR-40125S fw VS02 and VS06.

One media type had ZERO errors with all combinations of writer/firmware so far(only tested media that is 24X and lower certified so far).

Guess which type?

I could reveal two things: 8X certified, went out of production about 2 years ago…guess which :stuck_out_tongue:

Kodak Gold…???

Funny thing is I have burned small files…no errors…large files 500mg and up…and early “sector damage” and late…why would the smaller file no have it…

I need to burn my TY rated 24x at 24x and see what happens if it is ok…my guess is the media needs to be very high quality

But I still have to ask does the Z-CLV FW for the 40x cdrw give these errors

Am I wrong there are no other 40x + CAV writers out except the Liteon

Right on it there…

Other P-CAV/CAV writers:

LG 40X (mediatek chipset)
NEC 40X (richo chipset)
Asus 48X (mediatek chipset)
Benq 48X (mediatek chipset)

And maybe I forgot some :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, Yamaha of course!!! forgot them…

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]I’m doing media test now with LTR-40125S, fw ZS0A and ZS0J. And oc’ed LTR-40125S fw VS02 and VS06.

One media type had ZERO errors with all combinations of writer/firmware so far(only tested media that is 24X and lower certified so far).

Guess which type?

I could reveal two things: 8X certified, went out of production about 2 years ago…guess which :stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

Doh… no point pondering over media which is already out of production now.

I’m just wondering if firmware vs06 can adapt to my acer media now.

OC Freak…did the Kodak media burn at 40x +…

Do those other high speed writers have issue like the Liteon…

I really do not know for the other writers…

Kodak gold works at 32X with SMART-BURN on and 48X With SMART-BURN off, always without any errors.

That really suggests these errors are media dependent and not hardware

how many Kodak Golds have you used…seems to me these should be saved only for the important you need to keep for long term…photos etc

used with the faster Lite-Ons? about 5-6 discs.

I expect better results from newer discs, which I’m about to test now

Great, keep us updated whenever possible. Thanks.:stuck_out_tongue:

TDK 24X certified Taiyo Yuden: 100% perfect in all cases/with all speeds (40X and 48X).

Still continuing testing…

With VS06 SMART-BURN can’t be completely switched off.

Even if it’s disabled the speed drops if the writer is getting write problems with the media.

With one type of media it started to aim at 48X and then suddenly switched to 16X and wrote the rest of the disc at 16X!!!

Another type it aimed for 48X but then suddenly switched and wrote at 32X the rest of the disc.

Meh… where’s the 40X TY that I ordered?

Hmm…my Fuji 24x(Taiyo Yuden) were smartburn ok to 40x but I still got the errors on scandisc…a few and at 48x with smartburn off I got 2 unreadable(last one is from TAO)…I am pretty sure both were with TAO and Nero

May have to try another one to see if I still get the errors using DAO…

now I have to wonder if my drive is the issue???

3 disc types passed the test with 100% in all cases:

Kodak gold 8X
TDK 24X Taiyo Yuden
Ritek 32X “J” type

And these were close to 100%:

Princo 32X
Fujifilm 24X (made by fujifilm)
MMORE 32X (Moser baer india)
Prodisc 24X
Mitsui Gold 16X

Many times these media types sucked:

Sony made by sony
CMC Magnetics (some types)
MPO 24X
Verbatim datalifeplus

what are you using to read for errors the cdrw or cdrom/dvdrom???

These two drives:

Asus DVD-ROM E616 with firmware Z.0
Lite-On LTD-163D DVD-ROM with frimware GHR3