Hyena 16x DVD+R with Sony code D21

Hyena 16x DVD+R with Sony code D21

I’m just wondering if anyone has used these discs before? I want to burn data with long term storage in mind but it’s not a tragedy if a bit of data is corrupted since I have a second backup. Still, I’d prefer to avoid that scenario.

The guy I know has stopped selling the Ricoh DVDs which I used to use - they were VERY solid, yet still cheap - so I have to move on to something else.

I can buy these Hyena discs pretty cheaply, so I’m hoping they’re not rubbish. The Sony D21 media seems decent, but I’ve never heard of this Hyena brand. Does anyone have any experience?

Made in ???

I would recomend, getting 5-10 and see how they burn, then decide

SonyD21 is good media unless it’s media with faked media code. I’d say get a few and test them out.

Here’s the page for them, but I can’t see where they are made. The media codes look legit though.

I guess I’ll just try a 25 pack and see how they go.

Same Media code as some GQ brand from Fry’s that I bought. Never any problems, I just tested a dvd that I burned over 10 months ago and still scanned great!

These are probably made by third-tier manufacturer Lead Data in Taiwan.

There are basically three grades of Sony media:

High-Grade = Sony brand + Made in Japan by Sony (this is NOT the outsourced Taiyo Yuden media)

Medium-Grade = Sony brand + Made in Taiwan or Malaysia by Daxon

Low-Grade = Other brand + Made in Taiwan by Lead Data

Anytime you find Sony media codes under brands other than Sony itself, it’s often genuine Sony media, but it’s not up to the same quality and consistency standards as the media that is sold under the Sony brand itself.

For example, the Great Quality (GQ) brand of media sold at Fry’s Electronics in the United States was often Sony media, but it was made by Lead Data, and the disks often had a number of scratches, scuffs, and other defects that would be unheard of in a Sony-brand spindle. The media does burn OK, but you’re more likely to get widely varying results from spindle to spindle, and evn within a spindle.

What about Sony DVD+R (D21) made in India?

:o

Never seen any made in India, so I have no idea about those.

I doubt that the Made in India Sony can be as consistant as the Made in Japan ones, especially since Moser Baer’s Verbatim production suffers from consistancy problems.

Must already have been some time ago that I saw the Indian Sony though… I personally have only used some Austria- and Taiwan-made Sony media.

The media from Sony Austria is only sold in Europe. On top of that it’s very rare, but it had bonding problems not long ago…

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;1969954]I doubt that the Made in India Sony can be as consistant as the Made in Japan ones, especially since Moser Baer’s Verbatim production suffers from consistancy problems.

Must already have been some time ago that I saw the Indian Sony though… I personally have only used some Austria- and Taiwan-made Sony media.

The media from Sony Austria is only sold in Europe. On top of that it’s very rare, but it had bonding problems not long ago…[/QUOTE]

I avoid MBI media because of consistency problems, so now I use Traxdata Ritek 16x +R media (this is now mostly RITEK R05, and I’ve found it to be extremely good - apparently it’s the same dye as RICOHJPN R03, so I really like it - very compatible and consistent). I’ve never tried Sony MBI made media, but I would give it a go if it was cheap enough, but it may also suffer consistency problems. The small amount of Taiwan made Sony media I tried I really liked and do recommend. Austrian Sony D21 discs have actually been OK for me, but as kg_evilboy stated there have been bonding problems with them :a