Hurricane Sandy

vbimport

Well I know I’m a long way from the east coast but this Sandy is suppose to affect us in Michigan ,were suppose to get 50 mile ahour winds.I know that’s not anything like the coast is to have.
If you have time post what affect this storm has for you.And this is hoping everyone stays safe.

[QUOTE=marloyd;2661650]And this is hoping everyone stays safe.[/QUOTE]

Nothing to add…

Yeah it looks like it’s going to be pretty crazy according to the news.

Best of luck folks and I hope all goes well for everyone out there.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Take care you guys, been thinking about you all day. :flower:

All four paws crossed for you (where’s Seán’s shamrock smiley when you need it?!) :slight_smile:

Going to be a bad storm . marloyd may only get the slowed down winds but it looks like it may send a major snow storm his way. If it gets that far west.

I’m almost exactly 115miles due west of Manhattan and I’ve already seen wind gusts of 55mph, sustained winds are of course lower.

I’m at 1200ft elevation and about 500feet above “average terrain”
(and about 600ft above the nearest body of water. so flooding is not a concern.

The worst that can happen here is a power outage, Hurricane Irene turned out our power on Saturday morning and our power was out until thursday afternoon.

The annoying part about that was it was a small outage caused in the immediate neighborhood because ONE fallen tree disconnected the local pub and nobody from the power company bothered to come and verify that WE turned off that one building and turn the neighborhood back on,

Basically when they could finally be bothered to show up and check the situation
the power was back on in <15min.

I lost everything in my chest freezer and good luck getting them to pay for any of it.

I am about 24 miles west of Washington, DC and the wind is really strong here and we are supposedly on the fringe. I would guess the wind is gusting to 60 mph or more.

Where I live I will never be hit by a hurricane . We do have bad weather & a tornado is more likely here.
@ AllanDeGroot , Something to think about getting is a generator large enough to power your freezer. If you have room for one. Just one loss of a freezer full will pay for one or come close.

I’ve had to live with a sump pump at my last three houses so I’ve had to have a generator. My last house the electric would go out about once a month ,maybe for just a couple minutes to 4 days at a time.So the generator came in handy a few times.And like cholla said one time it paid for it’s self.We’re getting high wind but thats all here close to the lake.

I found a female puppy yesterday that I think someone just drop off and was staying in a culvert near my house. I looks about 8 to 10 weeks old and is sandy in color. My granddaughter ask me what it name was and I said since it hair is sandy right now and since the hurricane name was sandy then the dogs name should be sandy.
I got to call the county animal control today to pick it up before another day goes by or I will never be able to let it go. Such a pretty puppy and to think someone just drop it off. My wife had it in her lap most of the night so I got to make that call or she will not let me in a day or two. I have one dog and two cats and that is all I need.

[QUOTE=samlar;2661722]I found a female puppy yesterday that I think someone just drop off and was staying in a culvert near my house. I looks about 8 to 10 weeks old and is sandy in color. My granddaughter ask me what it name was and I said since it hair is sandy right now and since the hurricane name was sandy then the dogs name should be sandy.
I got to call the county animal control today to pick it up before another day goes by or I will never be able to let it go. Such a pretty puppy and to think someone just drop it off. My wife had it in her lap most of the night so I got to make that call or she will not let me in a day or two. I have one dog and two cats and that is all I need.[/QUOTE]

That’s quite the story you old softy ,I would have done the same.It’s to bad some people don’t think or don’t care. The biggest problem is it cost so much to get a pet fixed that people don’t do it and it leaves a problem.

We’re getting off topic so I will too .
I hate the thought of more laws but this is an area that could use some & a lot of help.
I think the solution are laws requiring most pet animals be fixed .Some allowance for pedigreed animals but the least required to have a fertile pet animal would be a small breeder permit.
The government would need to step in & make the fixing a lot more affordable to free . This would eventually lower the cost of running city /county animal shelter so would eventually pay for itself.
Maybe we could spend a few less billions fighting wars we don’t belong in & fixing up countries we were at war with . Then spend it on ourselves to fix what’s broken here. Now there’s a concept politicians no longer have.

You got it right Cholla, now back to sandy ,the only thing difference here is some high winds

[QUOTE=cholla;2661706]Where I live I will never be hit by a hurricane . We do have bad weather & a tornado is more likely here.
@ AllanDeGroot , Something to think about getting is a generator large enough to power your freezer. If you have room for one. Just one loss of a freezer full will pay for one or come close.[/QUOTE]

I have a generator, unfortunatly 36 hours into the power outage the carburetor decided it needed a new float, flooded the engine out and
defied all attempts to restart it.

USUALLY what I need a generator for is a winter storm where everything is covered in a thick layer of ice making power grid repairs more difficult.

Mechanical failures are hard to predict & I know all of them can’t be prepared for.
Usually not at the best time to just run to the parts store .
Being a mechanic although small engines are not my speciality.
It was probably the needle valve but it may have been the float.
On a brass float if the hole can be located a little solder will fix it.
On a “plastic” float if it is a hole a little epoxy can make a temp repair.
The problem with “plastic” floats is many times that have broken down over time & absorb gas . This makes them too heavy to float correctly & replacement is the only fix.

In addition taking out the spark plug & letting it dry well will many times help a restart from being flooded.
Also some gas additive can help. Completely draining the fuel & cranking the engine with the spark plug removed can clear out the flooding temp. Then put it back together & try again.

Take care everyone who lives where Sandy will strike and I hope you’ll do some live reports here. But most important I hope that you all won’t have too many inconveniences or even worse…

@marloyd, is that your view!?! :wink:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2661782]Take care everyone who lives where Sandy will strike and I hope you’ll do some live reports here. But most important I hope that you all won’t have too many inconveniences or even worse…

@marloyd, is that your view!?! ;)[/QUOTE]
The wife and I live two blocks from that veiw ,we get beautiful sunsets because of it looking west over one of the biggest fresh water lakes in the U.S.

We have the rain now with high winds, I heard Chicago and lower part of the lake shore line are getting hit with some good size wave action which does the shore line damage.

Thanks wombler for fixing quotes

[QUOTE=marloyd;2661820]Thanks wombler for fixing quotes[/QUOTE]

My pleasure.

Looks like you’ve got bigger problems ATM however. :eek:

I’m sure that view looks amazing though on a nice summer’s day.

[B]Wombler[/B]

The weather here isn’t that bad,not the greatest but I’m surprise we haven’t heard from folk on the east coast here unless their powers off.From what I’ve seen and heard on the news alot of flooding and wind damage has been pretty bad ,maybe we will here soon from someone.