Hundreds of games not playable on Windows 10 due no support for Safedisc and SecuROM

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Hundreds of games not playable on Windows 10 due no support for Safedisc and SecuROM[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/08/a-ray_1-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Games that feature copy protections like Safedisc and SecuROM won’t play on Windows 10, according to a marketing manager from Microsoft. This means that hundreds of old games that are protected by these protections will no longer run on Microsoft’s latest operating system.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/hundreds-of-games-not-playable-on-windows-10-due-no-support-for-safedisc-and-securom-77025/](http://www.myce.com/news/hundreds-of-games-not-playable-on-windows-10-due-no-support-for-safedisc-and-securom-77025/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2758685]We’ve just posted the following news: Hundreds of games not playable on Windows 10 due no support for Safedisc and SecuROM[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/08/a-ray_1-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/hundreds-of-games-not-playable-on-windows-10-due-no-support-for-safedisc-and-securom-77025/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.[/QUOTE]

And here where suppose to enjoy the WONDROUS features of DX12…what amazing things they can do… :Z

The more I read the more I don’t want to install W10 now… and Games are what makes a Windows survive…

Hmmm… I wonder how recent they mean by “old”?

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thank goodness for virtual machines. Windows XP to the rescue… again. :iagree:

Although this time I think Microsoft has done the right thing (albeit 16 years too late).

They should have stayed true to the ethos of Windows NT. Had they done so, malware like this (and that is indeed what these copy protection & DRM systems are - corporate malware) would never have been permitted to burrow into the heart of the operating system. (It was shocking what you could find just by browsing Device Manager with show hidden items selected.)

Instead, it pandered to the interests of lazy games companies who couldn’t be bothered to learn how write decent quality code, but wanted to minimise the workload of their support department.

There was never a good reason why games had to be run with administrator privileges. (Ever wondered why Windows gave all user accounts Administrator privileges by default?) It was just that the developers had never learned how to write for a secure, properly structured operating system. DOS, and DOS-based Windows 95/98, had always let any code do whatever it wanted, why shouldn’t XP be the same?

[QUOTE=Wombler;2758737]Hmmm… I wonder how recent they mean by “old”?

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
Judging by my small games collection… about 2009!

The way things are going, maybe pirated software will soon be considered safer than the genuine article. :iagree::stuck_out_tongue:

I recall (sometime in the distant past) using patches intended for piracy to fix problems with games (and possibly other software) I had bought legitimately, and wished only to use legally in accordance with the licensing agreement.

I guess I’m a Luddite when it comes to games .
My main game system is still Nintendo NES .
I also have a Mattell Intelevision with several cartridges.
A Commodore 64 with several games on floppies & cartridges as well.
These are fun to me when I get time to play them.

On Windows I’ve just used the games that came with Windows.
The only ones I play on my PC are the occasional online type that get posted on forums . The kind designed to wear out your mouse.

I have tried some of the newer games at a “toy” store on their demo units.
To me they are just detailed but not more fun.

This doesn’t mean I have anything against people that enjoy the games made for a computer . Play all you want to & have fun.

I even tried a Commodore 64 game I liked in a emulator on my PC but I didn’t think it moved as well as when played on the Commodore 64.

MS should have made this as easy as possible & told the game , movie ,& recording companies to go to HELL . Sue MS all you want we will keep you in court till you run out of money because we (MS) won’t . [B]Our business is to develop & sell the most usable OS we can.[/B] Now that should be the MS business model.

@cholla: In other words, Microsoft should have made Windows more GNU/Linux-like.:smiley:

This will just send users searching for unprotected exes and other cracks in order to play games (and some other software) that they bought legitimately.

Not exactly enhancing security given the problems that many of the sites that host those types of file present.

If you wand to play old games gamecopyworld.com still works but be aware you could be installing a trojan, if the cracked exe asked for administrative rights look elsewhere

[QUOTE=philamber;2758775]This will just send users searching for unprotected exes and other cracks in order to play games (and some other software) that they bought legitimately.

Not exactly enhancing security given the problems that many of the sites that host those types of file present.[/QUOTE]

Yet another example of the problems that copy protection creates for legitimate users. :rolleyes:

[B]Wombler[/B]