Humans have evolved into cyborgs, says anthropologist

vbimport

Humans have evolved into cyborgs, says anthropologist.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/01/Cw820A.jpg[/newsimage]Amber Case, a Cyborg Anthropologist and UX Designer at Vertigo Software, says that all of this constant reliance on personal technology is beginning to change the mapping of our brains as a species. We have evolved so much to depend on that technology that we have actually evolved into cyborgs, she claims.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/humans-have-evolved-into-cyborgs-says-anthropologist-38824/](http://www.myce.com/news/humans-have-evolved-into-cyborgs-says-anthropologist-38824/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Well that wasn’t so hard to diagnosis was it? Just take a looked at the cyber cafe and libraries that have wifi and ask how many people are doing reading a book or magazine or newspaper not many…? Looks also at what happens when the internet or wifi goes down…people becomes Zombies and don’t know what to do but stare at a black screen thinking it will magically come back on if they wait long enough… :iagree: I from my personal observation already saw this coming starting with the next generation of kids growing up solely with computers at home and school when taken from computers become Zombies whom can’t perform daily activities like writing their names legibility or making a coherent conversation. It doesn’t take a Genius to see this was happening already. :iagree: :iagree:

Most people are certainly very dependent on their devices and social media these days, but I think that many people feel the effect of “social media fatigue” at some point. It’s probably a good idea to take a break from all this “online connectedness” once in awhile and stick to real world interactions at some points.

Well, that’s one point of view… but that’s not the whole picture. There still is the physical world which a large portion of learning is NOT utilizing vast technological resources. The reliance upon technology as a replacement or subsitute for traditional uses of human decision making & use of tools even pre-dates the invention of computers as they’ve evolved from the 20th into the 21st century.

** I agree that society doesn’t realize just how far down “cybernetic symbiosis” lane it’s gone… I remember back in elementary school the premise that one day that humans might have to “prepare” for a time when all of our advances will be wiped out in a twist of fate… be it a shipwreck/flood, earthquake, world war, global EMP, etc.Humans will need to fend for themselves and better teach their children to cope. I rarely see such knowledge being taught to young people anymore. Government’s response… grab your society made “go bag”… When that runs out? You’re SOL. TIme’s come to readjust society’s value on being able to rebuild society from the ground up should something happens & that begins with teaching healthy young children how do it.

Think of the things we take for granted: clean food & water, shelter, medicine, government services, global commerce, common rules of law, etc. If a global disaster strikes… you can’t guarantee any of that will exist post appocalypse.

A mistake has been made here. We haven’t evolved into cyborgs as a race but only as individuals. There’s nothing that’s changed permanently in the wiring of our brains that would make it impossible for the next generation to live a simpler, non cybernetic life on the farm. All that’s happened is the plasticity of the human brain has adapted to handling larger amount of information from more sources at this point in time. IF it all collapsed those who’ve adapted will have a hard time, but those who haven’t or are born into the new collapsed reality will be just fine.

The specie’s brain hasn’t changed fundamentally, individual brains have only adapted to the current conditions.

[QUOTE=kpoole;2569725]A mistake has been made here. We haven’t evolved into cyborgs as a race but only as individuals. [/QUOTE]

That couldn’t be more wrong. Just look at the political discourse and see that there is no single elected leader being or show the individual self conscious thinker?? And that flollows done to the people whom worships them without even asking themselves how much of a Individual thinker they are???

[QUOTE=kpoole;2569725]There’s nothing that’s changed permanently in the wiring of our brains that would make it impossible for the next generation to live a simpler, non cybernetic life on the farm. All that’s happened is the plasticity of the human brain has adapted to handling larger amount of information from more sources at this point in time. IF it all collapsed those who’ve adapted will have a hard time, but those who haven’t or are born into the new collapsed reality will be just fine.[/QUOTE]

It called diversity of the brain and mindset to do more and know more rather then so singularly focus on one subject they forget there are more out there then just the blank LCD screen.

[QUOTE=kpoole;2569725]The specie’s brain hasn’t changed fundamentally, individual brains have only adapted to the current conditions.[/QUOTE]

Not really it’s people decision to singularly focus so much one one subject they forget to open their mind rather be closed mind to other stimulus that are out there that can broaden one thinking and mindset to be a Open minded to really think as individual. That is what is lacking this thread is making that point the Next Generation has forgotten what the word “Individual” thinking truly means.

Not me I never get on a computer to do anything

[QUOTE=samlar;2570096]Not me I never get on a computer to do anything[/QUOTE] Are you using your awesome mental powers to post here directly?! :eek: :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2570139]Are you using your awesome mental powers to post here directly?! :eek: :p[/QUOTE]

Well, he’s obviously one of them CY-borgs the article was talking about. Either a mutant or a weird science experiment so that his brain is connected directly but still, I hold, not representative of the species as a whole.

My 12 year-old goes nuts without her phone . . . . of course I think (almost) teenage girls are weird anyway.

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2570147]My 12 year-old goes nuts without her phone . . . . of course I think (almost) teenage girls are weird anyway.[/QUOTE]

No that is the next generation majority of the users right now… :doh:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2570139]Are you using your awesome mental powers to post here directly?! :eek: :p[/QUOTE]

I am in denial

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2569404]Looks also at what happens when the internet or wifi goes down…people becomes Zombies and don’t know what to do but stare at a black screen thinking it will magically come back on if they wait long enough… :iagree: I from my personal observation already saw this coming starting with the next generation of kids growing up solely with computers at home and school when taken from computers become Zombies whom can’t perform daily activities like writing their names legibility or making a coherent conversation.[/QUOTE]

That’s just a generation gap. I bet you couldn’t survive in the middle ages because of your dependency of certain current resources.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2570528]That’s just a generation gap. I bet you couldn’t survive in the middle ages because of your dependency of certain current resources.[/QUOTE]

huh??? Did you just step out of the stone age?? Generation gap my ()(&^ that just a excuse for not seeing the world in a wider knowledge expansion. Hate to burst your bubble but I lived in the time before computers where people actually converse with a live person one to one and meet a real live talking person in person. I learned to live with computer and all the technologies but not forgetting that all those electronics require electricity and when there is no electricity you should ask yourself what will you do?? And you wouldn’t be able to use the computer you typing on right now without electricity so you should ask that question yourself what will you do without electricity as well??? So there is a analogy for you as well.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2570574]Generation gap my ()(&^ that just a excuse for not seeing the world in a wider knowledge expansion.[/quote] Correct.

I learned to live with computer and all the technologies but not forgetting that all those electronics require electricity and when there is no electricity you should ask yourself what will you do?? And you wouldn’t be able to use the computer you typing on right now without electricity so you should ask that question yourself what will you do without electricity as well??? So there is a analogy for you as well.

And how would you feed your family without supermarkets and other food shops? Do you know how to cultivate your own food resources? Do you know how to make sure you don’t get ill from bacteria? How would you travel without gasoline? Can you run away from potential (younger) enemies? Do you know the fastest way to communicate without electronic devices?

I am still betting you couldn’t survice in the middle ages. Neither could i. It’s not a bad thing. No need to get mad about it, but the current generation is already depending on certain resources. :slight_smile:

Each and every generation has its customs, dependencies and inventions. Doesn’t make them worse or better than other generations.