HUGE Philips problem

vbimport

I somehow need to reset the drive or reset the firmware.
When I connect my drive to my PC it installs as a HP 640c.
This happened because my pc got restarted during a firmware update.
*** Also when the drive is connected to the pc it acts like there is no power going to it but it is still recognized by windows (As HP640c)

I hope someone can help!
Thanks!

Welcome. :slight_smile:

First, what does the label on drive tell you about model, version, firmware.
Second, can you open tray with button.
Third, have you tried to reflash firmware.

Er… I don’t know what reflash firmware is…
The model is DVDR16ls
The firmware it came with was 1.6 but I think (before it stopped working) It had 1.8… I was upgrading to 1.9 when the problem happen PC got restarted during the upgrade And no the disc tray won’t open. None of the lights come on. It’s like it’s been disabled or something… But it hasn’t actually been disabled.

Does the drive show up with HP or Philips/BenQ name at boot if you press “pause” when you see the black screen.
How come you can see drive in windoze. if so, does it show up in device manager.

Full details still needed about model, version, firmware from drive label. The information you provided sofar is not enough.

Reflash= flash the very same firmware again. :wink:

If that also fails try www.rpc1.org and some old NEC 1300 Firmwares. I think most Philips DVDR series are actually rebadged Nec’s.

It shows up as HP drive at the black screen.
It shows up in device manager as HP.

Model : DVDr16LS
Part no : 9082 100 04448
mfg date : April 2005
H/W rev : 01
Firmware :1.6

That’s everything on the back

@Mr. Belvedere, this is most probably a OEM BenQ 1625. :wink:

Admiwal, what does the text on front of drive tell you. (You can answer with “Edit post” where you are now.)

Did drive show up in device manager?

Any suggestions if it is an OEM BenQ 1625?

Edit ***

I found this thread.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=131077

Anything on there that may help?

Edit again *** The front of the drive says Philips, Light scribe, DVD R/RW
DVD+R DL

Download and unzip this (link removed). Execute and check if any drive shows up in apps status window.
[I]Edit,[/I] link changed. :wink:

If your drive gets recognized download cvt firmware for your drive here. (Use IE or Firefox with IE tab plug-in)

Thanks alot :slight_smile:
I’m trying it now

Link updated. :smiley:

If this tool doesn’t work prepare for doze flashing. Hope you have a floppy.
The Dangerous Brothers BenQ/Philips doz flasher BENQCVT can be found here.

Tell us how it goes. I’ll will be away for a while.

It worked but now when I put a blank DVD+R in it says 0kb free space :S
The drive isn’t very responsive now either :frowning:
When I press the eject button it doesn’t always open… and when I close it it closes really fast, then opens a little bit.

Sorry to hear it didn’t work out as expected… :sad:

You can try with multiple reflashing using (windows flasher). Not sure it will help though.
At least we all learned something new from you recovery attempts.

Can you burn at all?

I tried burning but it said the disk had 0kb free and the full size was 0kb lol :S

Are you by chance using OEM burning software (Nero)?

Create an image with DVD Decrypter of an old burned DVD and try to burn with same app or ImgBurn.

I was using OEM Nero yeah. But in my computer it said the disc had 0kb free space

Heh??

NEC 1300? No!

Don’t care about, shrubby windooze has no brain about dvd recordable formats except DVD-RAM. :rolleyes:

OK Well I get upto burning in Nero and when I put the disc in it spits it back out. It won’t accept any disc :frowning:

I just had a look at my drive’s information and it says Supported Write Features :

And none are ticked. :frowning: wtf

How can I convert .avi to .iso?

OK Well I get upto burning in Nero and when I put the disc in it spits it back out. It won’t accept any disc :frowning:

I just had a look at my drive’s information and it says Supported Write Features :

And none are ticked. :frowning: wtf

How can I convert .avi to .iso

EDIT The drive poens and closes perfectly now

But it doesn’t READ OR WRITE :expressionless:

Any suggestions?