Huge Cd?

vbimport

i got a bit upset after i got a few cd from my friend which had lots of data (upto 4gb) on a CD!!! how do they do that? it is not a dvd since i dont have a DVD rom so it is a cd which has 4gb of data. and the other day i bought an office 2003 cd and it was 1.23 gb of data in it ??? how do u do that man. plz help me out vid this i really want to know this plz. -thnx

PS: i have LG 52x32x52x cd writer and i use NERO to burn stuff. -thnx

Hi nytrydr, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

The CD doesnøt really contain so much data, but it contains the same files multiple times in separate directories, but those files are only stored once. The CD will look like it contains the file multiple times when you use it however.

It’s possible to create such CDs and DVDs with a few tools, e.g UltraISO (Shareware).

thanx DrageMester is there any other tools rather that ultrsISO? and if i use ultraISO,how am i supposed to write more data. thanx

I think you missed the point :doh:

There are files on the CD which are referred to multiple times to prevent casual copying.
When the File Index is read, the files appear multiple times, which artificially inflates the MB count, so you can’t drag and drop the files to a new CD.

You cannot put more than 700MB of data onto a 700MB CD, unless you seriously compress the data BEFORE you put it onto the CD. And then it will still be less than the 700MB limit, not 4GB.

Perhaps your friend has put Zipped archives onto the CD, which when you decompress them are more than 4GB.

In which case, you can download 7Zip for free and compress your stuff before you put it on CD.

Debro is spot on with his advice…follow it. :slight_smile:

ok so what is the max size i can put on a 700 MB cd, and whent you say the multiple times thingy do u mean it is the same file which is written lots of times? even if it so, plz tell me how to do it. and what about a Huge VCD which ppl have?

700 MB

The maximum size actual content you can put on a 700MB (80 min) without overburning is approx. 702-703 MB.

There’s no practical limit to how many times you can have a link to the same file in an “optimized” image you burn to a CD, if you need to do that for some reason. I have just burned an 18GB image that only uses approx. 3.5GB space onto a 4.38GB DVD, where each file is linked up to 16 times (consolidated weekly backups over 16 weeks plus some additional stuff).

If you use UltraISO to make the ISO image before burning, you check the “Optimize” option in the File => Properties… menu after having opened the image.

There’s also a similar “Optimise Duplicate Files” option in ImgBurn 2.2.0.0 that I haven’t tried yet. It’s in the Settings dialog on the Build tab.

VCDs are burned on CD-R in Mode 2 Form 2 which has less error correction info than the usual Mode 1 or Mode 2 Form 1 formates used for data, so you get 2352 bytes instead of 2048 bytes in every sector, which is approx. 806 MB on an 80min CD-R or 14.8% additional space.

so if I get this straight. If I get something like 7zip and compress say 4.7 gb in it , put it on a cd so long the 7zip is less than 700mb, save it on the cd. Then when I need the file copy it off the cd. decompress the 7zip and i can use the 4.7gb of data on my desktop.

Normally 701 mb of data without overburning.
Or approx. 780mb of data if you burn a VCD, which holds more than the standard 700mb because it reduces the correction by using another filesystem.

The actual file is written only once.
The shortcut is written many times.

When crappy burning programs (or windows) scan the disk, it looks like many files, even though it’s only 1 actual file, because they see the many shortcuts

It fools the crappy software into thinking there are many files, when there is really only one file.

It’s a very simply copy-protection which an annoyance only to people that don’t know what software to use. Even simple software like nero can dump these CD’s & make copies.

This technique isn’t only used for (bad) copy protection, but also for e.g. software CDs and DVDs that contain different but similar versions of software, where many of the files are identical.

Could someone please tell me how i can get the original files out of a cd which is been copy-protected this way, i mean by linking to some data file several times so that windows tells me the files on cd are 55GB.

i have a file on a cd like this which should be about 3 or 4 MBs but windows keeps telling me that it is 2GBs. I can copy it to my hard disk but it will give me a huge file (2GB).

I tried to use the extract function of UltraISO 9.33 but it still gives me the 2GB file.

i used a bootable linux cd to copy the file from cd in linux But linux did not see my file at all.

[QUOTE=kia89sw;2415502]Could someone please tell me how i can get the original files out of a cd which is been copy-protected this way, i mean by linking to some data file several times so that windows tells me the files on cd are 55GB.

i have a file on a cd like this which should be about 3 or 4 MBs but windows keeps telling me that it is 2GBs. I can copy it to my hard disk but it will give me a huge file (2GB).

I tried to use the extract function of UltraISO 9.33 but it still gives me the 2GB file.

i used a bootable linux cd to copy the file from cd in linux But linux did not see my file at all.[/QUOTE]

Hello, This posting is over 2 years old. Time to start your own thread. Your hijacking a old thread when you can create your own thread.

It’s only manipulation of the file table to make it LOOK like there is that much data on the disc.

AD