HTPC need quiet SATA DL burner

vbimport

Hi,

I’m searching for a Dual Layer burner for my Linux HTPC. Here are the priorities:

1. QUITE!! – I currently have a (NEC) Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A and it is fairly loud.

2. SATA – The JMicron IDE controller on my mother board is not well supported

3. Price – Please suggest any price drive but I’m looking for a drive less than $40. If that is possible

4. not horribly slow – this is not a high priority. 1&2 are much more important than speed.

Thanks,
Jon

NEC and some LiteOn are indeed known to be quite noisy.
I would recommend LG because they aren’t nearly as noisy as some LiteOn are, but LG can’t do quality scannings. They have SATA models too (H30N and successors). :slight_smile:

Is it possible to change the noise level?

I can change the read speed of my old Lite-on with ominpatcher. I find the noise level is proportional to read speed.

I find it interesting that when I put a mini DVD in my drive, it is so quiet I can barely hear it.

I’m not sure how to changing the read speed is done under Linux. Any one out there know?

Jon

[QUOTE=jboehm;1720524]I’m not sure how to changing the read speed is done under Linux. Any one out there know?

Jon[/QUOTE]

Incidentally, I just read thisdirectly before reading this thread. (haven’t tested personally)