HTL or LTH

vbimport

Can anyone tell me: are the HTL BD-R discs a lot better than LTH? I see the LTH are quite a bit cheaper. I was thinking of buying some Verbatim LTH discs but if the HTL’s are a lot better for longevity etc… maybe I shouldn’t get them? I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

I’ve got some Verbatim LTH that work perfectly. Unfortunately not all Blue Ray Burners can use them. Check yours before you buy. :wink:

They burn great (well the Verbatim brand I used), but unfortunately a lot of stand alone players can’t read them. My Oppo 83 doesn’t recognize them.

I will try them in next week or two, so I can’t give my experience right now. I think that as long as Your burner have support for burning them, they will be OK, and if You use them just for data storage and don’t need standalone compatibility. I think that all modern burner/standalones, produced in 2009/2010 have support for them (and all future products will support it).

Maybe one disadvantage: some burners (particulary mine LG BH10LS30) reads them slower: BD-R read speed is 10x, and BD-R LTH read speed is 6x. So if You need fastest read speed You will need to go with HTL.

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to get the regular discs … maybe I’ll try LTH down the road.

Just to confirm what I wrote before: LG BH10LS30 reads them @6x. I got Verbatims 2x LTH, and they works great, but I don’t need standalone compatibility.

[QUOTE=zivija;2515561]I will try them in next week or two, so I can’t give my experience right now. I think that as long as Your burner have support for burning them, they will be OK, and if You use them just for data storage and don’t need standalone compatibility. I think that all modern burner/standalones, produced in 2009/2010 have support for them (and all future products will support it).

Maybe one disadvantage: some burners (particulary mine LG BH10LS30) reads them slower: BD-R read speed is 10x, and BD-R LTH read speed is 6x. So if You need fastest read speed You will need to go with HTL.[/QUOTE]

LTH discs is based on organic matherials - the same as CD-R and DVD±R and developed for using the same factories as CD-R and DVD for manufacturing and because of this - for to be quite a bit cheaper (less money)…

HTL is based in not organic matherials.

It is possible what HTL is for more longevity etc… than LTH.

Also maybe your test shows what LTH is less readable = have more chance to be destroyed at time…

I have no more information at time present…

And you ?

[I]OFF-TOPIC:[/I]
Two quite nice pictures of the “dye coating” step of the LTH media manufacturing in MKM’s Singapore factory.

Nice…

Need more information… :slight_smile:
Inclyding what is plans of manyfacturers - will they produce and decrease price to HTL discs (it look like they is more strong against damaging and another at time)
or will be change all it by LTH…

will they produce and decrease price to HTL discs (it look like they is more strong against damaging and another at time)

A more likely alternative.
LTH format is practically mass-produced only by MKM Singapore, other LTH media makers (Taiyo Yuden, Moser Baer, Umedisc) are producing only a very small amounts of LTH media and other BD-R producers (Optodisc, Infomedia, Ritek, CMC, etc.) are not interested in LTH at all.

Just want to quote newegg customer comment for Verbatim LTH:

Pros: Good quality BD-R media using Verbatim’s AZO dye.

Verbatim has excellent customer support and responds to requests for info in a very timely manner. Dean Linker responded to my e-mailed questions within an hour and a half!

Cons: Price is still somewhat high for all BD-R media, in general.

Other Thoughts: I’m using these for archiving irreplaceable home video from a HD camcorder.

[B][I]I did a test burn of a disk, then put it outside with the dye-side up in my backyard. It’s been outside, exposed to direct central Florida sunlight for 5 days now, with no problem reading the disk.[/B][/I]

Make sure you have a compatible burner/firmware for the LTH media. I updated my WH08LS20 LG burner to firmware EL02-06 at the direction of Verbatim. It was not listed as a supported firmware on LG’s site, but has worked flawlessly with the LTH media; no coasters so far.

I burned 3 of these until now, all works good. About slower reading speed, it is as advertised, my drive can read them only @6x. No slowdowns during reading, it have perfect TRT.

[QUOTE=pepst;2530174]A more likely alternative.
LTH format is practically mass-produced only by MKM Singapore, other LTH media makers (Taiyo Yuden, Moser Baer, Umedisc) are producing only a very small amounts of LTH media and other BD-R producers (Optodisc, Infomedia, Ritek, CMC, etc.) are not interested in LTH at all.[/QUOTE]

When i wrote this “will they produce and decrease price to HTL discs” - I wrote “question” about HTL (not about LTH).

Well, are you think what HTL will be prodiced and LTH will be decrease its producing ?
Where you found information about BD-R producers ?

About another - LTH quality (like quality of all optical discs and like anther)
is depend of factory and manufacturer…

But it look like HTL discs can be (theoretically) more strong disk, i.e. will be work for more long time
because of its not organic (inorganic/metal) base/matherials
vs. LTH organic (like DVD-+R, CD-R) base/matherials…

Have somebody more information ?

can PS3 read LTH?

On March 26, 2010 Sony released a software update v2.20 which installed that capability and more. My PS3 plays Verbatim LTH Disks effortlessly.

Software update, v2.20, which adds support for BDA’s BD-Live technology as well as support for the new LTH Blu-ray recordable media.

The update includes the following:

• Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0 (BD-LIVE) is now supported. You can now play discs that support Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0 (BD-LIVE). You can connect to the Internet while playing discs that support this format so that you can obtain additional features. Features that are available vary depending on the software in use.

Copying playlists
You can use your PS3 system playlists to play songs or show photos in the order you like on your PSP system. To use this feature, your PSP system must have the following system software version:

For (Photo) playlists: version 3.80 or later
For (Music) playlists: version 3.10 or later

Settings

• The way you register (pair) Bluetooth devices has changed, and you can now register more devices. You can confirm the connection status of Bluetooth-compatible devices on your PS3 system, or connect and disconnect devices. To do so, select [Manage Bluetooth Devices] under (Settings) > (Accessory Settings) in the home menu. After selecting the device that you want to manage, press the button, and then select an option from the options menu.

• A [BD Internet Connection] setting has been added under [BD/DVD Settings]. This setting lets you decide if you want your PS3 system to connect to the Internet while playing BDs that support Profile 2.0 (BD-LIVE). By connecting to the Internet, your system can obtain additional features for the video that is playing.

• An [Audio Output Device] setting has been added under [Remote Play Settings]. With this setting, you can use your PSP system as a remote control for playing audio on your PS3 system. If your PS3 system is connected to an audio output device such as an AV receiver, you can operate the device without turning on your TV.

Photo

• You can now display an image while editing a playlist.

Music

• You can now play a music track while editing a playlist.

Video

• You can now play DivX and WMV files that are 2 GB or larger.

• You can now display subtitles when playing DivX files.

• You can now resume playing a DVD from the point where you previously stopped it, even if you turn off your PS3 system or eject the disc. Your system saves a record of the scene that was playing when you stopped playback so it knows where to resume playing. Note that you can also use the resume play feature on some Blu-ray Discs. You cannot use resume play on Blu-ray Discs that support BD-J (Blu-ray Disc Java).

• A [Mosquito Noise Reduction] option has been added under [AV Settings] in the control panel for standard DVDs. This option lets you reduce so-called “mosquito noise,” or flicker, that appears on the edge of visual images while you are watching standard DVDs. You can set the option to off or to one of three mosquito noise reduction levels.

• You can now play BD-R version 1.2 (LTH BD-R) discs. LTH, or low to high, is a recording method that supports organic dye, write-once BD-R media.

Network

• You can now change some PS3 system settings during remote play. [Save Target] has been added as an option under [File] in the browse mode menu of the Internet browser. This option lets you save a file that is linked from a Web page, such as an image or video file, or other type of file, to your PS3 system’s hard disk drive or storage media.

• The Internet browser now displays some Web pages faster.

• Using the Internet browser, you can now play a linked video file as it is being downloaded.

I hope this is helpful.

“Strange” people…

[B]There is GENERAL question / FACTs - [/B]
It seems
[B][U]LTH is less strong, for less time of stotage your data on it in cmparison with HTL [/U][/B]
but spme of “strange” people is requesting not information about this and about plans of manufacturing & support
but about how OLD & USELESS devices support this OLD TECHNOLOGY LTH
(in FACTs what BD LTH is almost the same as old CD & DVD - manufacturing with using the same materials).

LOL!

Noobs - It is already [B]KNOWN[/B] - all manufacturers[U] who is supporting its devices[/U] at thime present
will be adding this support.
But it is right ONLY at tome present. Read bellow about future…

[B]BTW, Buy PC (computer) -
PS3, xBOX and another is manufacturing ESPECIALLY for idiots for stealong its MONEY.
Now it is SENSELESS devices.[/B] :wink:

[B][U]More actual is information
about how long and safe will be stored data on HTL and on LTH discs
and what is plans of manufacturers for HTL and for LTH discs.[/U][/B]

[QUOTE=badboi999;2515556]They burn great (well the Verbatim brand I used), but unfortunately a lot of stand alone players can’t read them. My Oppo 83 doesn’t recognize them.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=zivija;2515561]
I think that all modern burner/standalones, produced in 2009/2010 have support for them (and all future products will support it).[/quote] [QUOTE=Jim;2532610]On March 26, 2010 Sony released a software update v2.20 which installed that capability and more. My PS3 plays Verbatim LTH Disks effortlessly.[/QUOTE]

Is there more detailed information available telling [B]which standalone players are able to play burned BD-R of the LTH type ? [/B]
Especially the Verbatim LTH ones (code VERBATIMw / v / u )

i can say that my SONY BDP S570 recognises LTH BDR but when i watch a movie i got every 2 minutes a PINK screen on my PS3 they work fine

Please everybody focus on the discussion. Insults are pretty useless and definitely not tolerated here :wink:

How to recognize LTH and HTL-media? No prob for Verbatim, it is mentioned there, but what about those media?

http://www.nierle.com/de/artikel/10433/Blu-ray_Disc_NIERLE_Black_Edition_BD-R_25_GB,_1-4x_Speed_in_Cakebox_10_Stueck.html

http://www.nierle.com/de/artikel/6485/Blu-ray_Disc_NIERLE_Edition_BD-R_25_GB,_1-4x_Speed_unbedruckt_in_Cakebox_25_Stueck.html

http://www.nierle.com/de/artikel/10445/Blu-ray_Disc_EMTEC_BD-R_25_GB,_2x_Speed_in_Jewelbox_5_Stueck.html

http://www.nierle.com/de/artikel/8157/Blu-ray_Disc_Maxell_BD-R_25_GB,_1-4x_Speed_fullprintable_in_Cakebox_10_Stueck.html

You can look here, section 10.5, for help in identifying LTH from HTL. All the discs you listed would be HTL, though the RITEK code Maxell’s does not rule out LTH. I trust that my European friends will correct me if I am wrong ;), but those choices are among the worst BD’s you could choose. The Emtec listing is a gamble, as they give both CMCmag and Infome as the media code. Two choices that might be better:

http://www.nierle.com/de/artikel/8939/Blu-ray_Disc_Philips_BD-R__25_GB,_4x_Speed__in_Cakebox_10_Stueck.html

http://www.nierle.com/de/artikel/10413/Blu-ray_Disc_Sony_BD-R_AccuCORE_25_GB,_1-6x_Speed_in_Cakebox,_10_Stueck.html