HS0Q official firmware for 811 available!

Hello, new user here :slight_smile:
I’ve tried flashing HS0Q to my 811s (not a 411@811…) and so far, it seems better than HS0P for DVD-R. I’ve burned a few ritek G04’s. and get PI below 40 and Po below 4 on the entire surface of my discs. (shows up almost like a nice straight line in KProbe).

With HS0P, Kprobe would start with average 40 PIs till the last quarter of the disk, and progressivly raise to about 160.

HS0E still seems to be the best firmware on my burner with these discs. (max 20 pi and almost no POs across the disc).

Generic media still sucks.

I’ll get a few +R’s and let you know how it goes. But so far, this firmware seems like an improvement over HS0P.

Have you had a chance to verify for yourself or are you saying you have consistently high PIPO with HSOQ ?

I was just saying that in some cases (w/HS0P) PIPO reports are too high, such as when scanning at 4x vs. max with many media, and in some other cases (BeAll 4x media…), PIPO is very high but disks are perfectly readable…, and it seems like consistently PI at least is higher than when scanned in a liteon CDRW unit.

At this time I’ve done a preliminary test with HS0Q and things don’t seem to improve… (although only tested 1 DVD+R BeAll burn yet).:sad:

Regards
FTC

Originally posted by Ssseth
Well if you fellers are sure LiteOn didn’t add any additional media codes they shouldn’t have put “Match more media” under the description.

Once again LITEON’s credibility takes a hit. I qualify this as deceptive, misleading and false representation. I will contact LITEON tomorrow and have them change this.

Originally posted by FTC
[B]I was just saying that in some cases (w/HS0P) PIPO reports are too high, such as when scanning at 4x vs. max with many media, and in some other cases (BeAll 4x media…), PIPO is very high but disks are perfectly readable…, and it seems like consistently PI at least is higher than when scanned in a liteon CDRW unit.

At this time I’ve done a preliminary test with HS0Q and things don’t seem to improve… (although only tested 1 DVD+R BeAll burn yet).:sad:

Regards
FTC [/B]

They don’t IMPROVE, but do they worsen ?

Does anybody get worse readings on their Maxell DVD+R or MEMOREX DVD+R (both RICOHJPN R01? )

Thanks.

I mainly use DVD-R media, but I thought I would give the Zebra modd a go just for the hell of it, all went well except after the modd any DVD-R disc that I made wouldn’t play.
I put it back to a standard 411S, burn quality was not as good as before the modd but at least now the discs would play.
Anyway with the release of the new 811S firmware I thought I would give it another go. My 1st DVD-R disc was not so good as far as KProbe was concerned but played fine in my stand alone. I did another disc and now the KProbe scans are within the accepted range.
Hence with my little experience with the new Q firmware, it is better for DVD-R than the previous version.
I haven’t tried any DVD+R discs yet so I cannot comment on their performance with the new firmware.

don’t forget that after the mod, the drive has to undergo a “run-in”. The burns get good after about 4 or so burns according to what I’ve been seeing.

Well with any luck then things should only get better.:smiley: :smiley:

I had a bit of trouble with the booktype auto setting, but after I full erased a couple of my +rw discs it seems to be working ok now.
Is the the booktype auto setting meant to work with -r discs as well because it hasn’t worked with my drive so far.
I haven’t burnt another -r since it started working with the +rw’s so maybe I need to try another -r burn?

-Rs are “hardwired” as -r and can’t be bitset to rom. I guess u could give the -r another shot at some point and see what its “learned”.
Happy Burning.

Originally posted by FTC
[B]Download it from the liteon page.

Experiences anyone? I’ll test it in a few hours… [/B]

Damn!
I’m out of cheap DVD-R media :frowning: to test it with.

Hmm…

I’ve just bought some DataWrite RED (worst AN31 I have ever seen; LDWs often fail to write leadout) to test new HS0Q.
Will report back in a few hours with K-Probe scans (if it will manage to close the disc of course)

I have noticed that they have reduced allowed speed to 2x (was 4x in HS0P) for MCI4XG01 DVD-R media and those are all changes related to promissing “Match more media”.
Besides there is lot of changes in some parts of the code, but it is hard to say what has been done there. It seems we should make some testing burns.

Screw

WOw there is a lot less people with litey 811s then it used to be. A few months back when a new firmware came out this thread would be at least 8 pages by now. :slight_smile: (and full of tests) but now I guess some people finally gave up on the drive. :slight_smile: Yeap:)

Originally posted by tempnexus
WOw there is a lot less people with litey 811s then it used to be. A few months back when a new firmware came out this thread would be at least 8 pages by now. :slight_smile: (and full of tests) but now I guess some people finally gave up on the drive. :slight_smile: Yeap:)

Or more likely most people got everything working the way they wanted already :iagree:

So I tested those DataWrite RED DVD-Rs (AN31)…and no go. Tried 2 discs, both failed when writing leadout. Same as with HS0K & HS0P. I will try write quality on better media and the decide whether to stay with this one or go back to HS0K.

Originally posted by Ssseth
Or more likely most people got everything working the way they wanted already :iagree:

Yep, I got my 411S@811S with HS0P working just the way I want - sweet sweet burns with Imation DVD+Rs (Ricoh) and quite decent burns on Ritek G04 DVD-Rs (though not as good as my Pioneer A04).

So, after considering it all of last evening, I finally decided to take the plunge and upgraded it to HS0Q. Burnt a DVD+R, and scanned with Kprobe2. It is definitely worse than the HS0P burns, but stills plays fine on both my DVD players. Haven’t tried a DVD-R yet. Will try that today. If DVD-R sucks too, then I go back to HS0P - maybe I will go back to HS0P anyway :slight_smile:

Ok, I burnt a DVD-R with HS0Q and the scan was better than HS0P.

1st scan - Ritek G04 burnt with HS0P
2nd scan - Ritek G04 burnt with HS0Q

Once again LITEON releasing a firmware without testing…

I can see here from the comments that DVD-R improved, but DVD+R significantly worse.

I will have a word with LITEON about this…

Seeing all this crap lately, I can’t believe some people are considering buying the LITEON 832 double layer…Given LITEON’s record for low quality, untested firmwares release after release… You can only imagine the write quality on their dual layer.

thanks casperg for the scans. Everyone has said things about HS0Q being better or worse, but your scans show visual proof. Seeing as how it’s only just out, i t will probably take a week or so for people to test and see how well it performs with each media at different speeds. I’d like to test it myself on my TY +R’s, except that dsgi messed up my order and sent me TY -R’s instead… I’m disappointed with that, but oh well… I’ve already burned some stuff so i might as well keep them. Thanks again for the scans.

I tested my Imation DVD+Rs (Ricoh JPNR01) with the new HS0Q and am very disappointed - I was hoping that atleast it would preserve the HS0P write quality, but I find it to be much worse.

Also, I got much much nicer scans with Kprobe 1.1.29 and HS0P firmware for the DVD+Rs. The scan for the DVD+R burnt with HS0P is much worse in Kprobe 2.0.1 and HS0Q firmware. Why do these variations occur? Anyway to control them?

Well I also tested HS0Q with imation dvd+R 4x@8x ricoh_R01 looks ok to me. now I also know these drives seem to have learning period with new f/w and this was first burn with HS0Q , but as I have no more ricoh_R01 at the moment to do more I can only go by this one burn

401@811 Zebra mod beta eeprom v5-6

4.2gb iso burned with dvd decrypter 3.2.2.0