HP840e external to internal

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the HP DVD840e. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]The power connection on my 840e has gone out. I have removed the 840e from it’s case and installed it internally.

The PC recognizes the drive, however the drive does not respond.
I tried to install firmware for the 840i, 840b, etc. It tells me that I have the wrong drive.

Is there anyway to make this external drive function internally?

Can you explain a bit by “does not respond”?

Do any lights on the front of the drive light up, and can you eject the tray?

If not, then check the power cable is plugged snugly into the drive.

Also, make sure you have it jumpered correctly for internal use/it’s position on the IDE cable.

Small things, but often overlooked :slight_smile:

Hi,

have you set the jumpers properly? Also make sure, the cables are installed properly and are not damaged.
Secondly, check device manager, if there are any errors displayed.

In order to sort out Windows issues, try if you can boot off a bootable CD or DVD.

Michael

EDIT: I was beaten again :wink:

Just to add a bit of info: This drive should work with 840e firmware just fine when internal. It did for me. :iagree:

THe drive powers on. Windows XP recognizes it with the correct model number. It doesnt respond to any media. I inserted all kinds of cds and dvds and software discs, but nothing.

Flash results:

LG H20L: Version 1 & 2 shows in device hardware, does not respond or eject.

LG 4166b: Shows in device hardware, ejects, does not respond to any media.

HP 840b: Shows in device hardware, ejects, does not respond to any media.

HP 840e: Shows in device hardware, ejects, does not respond to any media.

Is there anything I might be missing in the BIOS, etc.???

It could be that, when the power supply went, it took the actual drive with it. When I took my 840e out of the case and installed it in my computer, it worked perfectly fine [as it should have]. Changing firmwares won’t help.

You can try to open the drive and clean the lens with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol, which may or may not work.

Flashing the drive to anything other than a 4164/4166-based drive firmware wouldn’t work, BTW, which is why you couldn’t even eject it as an H20 drive.

Also, please avoid crossposting, k? It confuses people, and is against the rules. It’s best to stay within your own thread. :wink:

[QUOTE=Albert;2106022]Also, please avoid crossposting, k? It confuses people, and is against the rules. It’s best to stay within your own thread. ;)[/QUOTE]

My bad, There was someone in there asking if anyone else had the no eject problem.

Regarding the 840e issue. The drive had some function when I was using Vista. However XP has no response. I was thinking maybe there was a different driver or something that Vista found or something in the BIOS.

[QUOTE=Albert;2106022]Also, please avoid crossposting, k? It confuses people, and is against the rules. It’s best to stay within your own thread. ;)[/QUOTE]

My bad, There was someone in there asking if anyone else had the no eject problem.

Regarding the 840e issue. The drive had some function when I was using Vista. However XP has no response. I was thinking maybe there was a different driver or something that Vista found or something in the BIOS.

[QUOTE=hootie318;2106029]My bad, There was someone in there asking if anyone else had the no eject problem.

Regarding the 840e issue. The drive had some function when I was using Vista. However XP has no response. I was thinking maybe there was a different driver or something that Vista found or something in the BIOS.[/QUOTE]

And you’re sure that the drive is jumpered properly?

Is the drive running in DMA mode in both Vista and XP?

Is it possible your IDE cable is bad?

You never said for certain whether or not the drive failed to boot from a bootable disc…could you check?