HP works on DRM technology and submits to FCC for approval

I just posted the article HP works on DRM technology and submits to FCC for approval.

In January, HP CEO Carly Fiorina announced in her speech at the Consumer  Electronics Show that HP  is committed to enforcing copy protection technology in all their  products.  Now, HP...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7860-HP-works-on-DRM-technology-and-submits-to-FCC-for-approval.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7860-HP-works-on-DRM-technology-and-submits-to-FCC-for-approval.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Ah shit…More shit from HP! Who is next? Can you protect the media when all I need is played it via my computer and recorded directly from the speaker with an external recording device…and I dare say, re-record the recording at a later stage with state-of-the-art audio converter. So how does the protection works again?..:B

Carly will single-handedly kill the home market for HP computers. If you can’t make DVD’s or CD’s what good is it. of course Carly was CFO at Lucent Technologies before going to HP. Need I say more.

This is just the beginning to Trusted Computing. Submitions like these by HP, are all apart of the grand scheme of the greater ‘Trusted Computing Group’ [look it up for yourself]. These aren’t simply software tricks, measures like this are beginning to find themselves in hardware, making it more difficult and one day impossible to crack. I hate that it’s going this way.

In my area 6 years ago, every 6 mo. the employees at both HP factories were getting 10 thousand dollar bonuses. Now, one plant is down and soon to become a jr. college. The other is hanging on by a thread. Wrapping their arms around the manufacturing of crippled hardware is beyond my grasp of comprehension for gaining market share. With a slogan of ‘invent’ it is also sad that they have to go slithering around to Phillips and Intel to help them screw up their products. Apparently, they don’t posess the expertise in house. Then-go babbling to the FCC trying to start some crap over there like they are some cutting edge market leader. Maybe they should pass out condoms at their meetings while they are at it…to each other. :d

gotta love it when a hardware manufacturer makes it clear you shouldn’t buy their products. I applaud their honest marketing. Let’s have some more of this refreshing honesty. Who’s next?

She could not have kept me further away from HP products had she stated they were all shipped full of enraged vipers…:X

Without licensing the technology nearly free to all other manufacturers, it’s a whole bunch of money down the drain. I can just hear the electronics sales guy now: buy one of these LiteOn or LG drives, they don’t have the copy protection. No wonder they are going down the drain.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record… Hollywood uber alles! :r

It looks like HP may have a hidden trick to implementing this technology: Kill off “Mix & Match” They may try to sell PCs at attractive prices, but as their CPRM technology will require other HP equipment (or a brand that supports its new DRM system), they will make further sales by pretty much forcing customers to buy their products in order to be compatible with their hardware! If a HP PC must require a CPRM complaint digital monitor, I can imagine the grief PC shops will have trying to tell customers “If you want to buy a new monitor for your HP PC, you must buy a HP brand digital monitor. These other models simply will not work with your PC!” :r

My 3GHz system works fine for me with no DRM inside. Every new Intel/AMD/Apple based system is going to be little more then an xbox that runs only windows (or macOS). And state approved applications. (I think Apple needs to watch the 1984 commercial they made) No more Linux no more warez, mp3s, divx or visiting web sites that are not ‘approved’ will it happen overnight nope, but it will happen; You will live in fear of the windows update. 99.9% of why I have a computer is for warez, I guess I’ll become a terrorist or something fun like that. DRM will end any reason to upgrade a computer, get a computer 10x faster then you have now an do 100x less things with it! If games didn’t require 40 patches over 6 months to get them to work as advertised, of it Microsoft could ship an OS without a ‘critical’ security problem I’d say hey perhaps the computer business is mature and we can start to nail things down but all DRM does is put consumers at even more of a disadvantage when dealing with the corporate powers. If you buy a car that tries to kill you there are laws to protect you, what if someone sold a car that only ran on ‘Shell branded Gas’ there would be racketeering, price fixing, anti consumer choice, charges before lunch time. If the Taliban or Red China tech starts to sell computers without DRM I’ll buy from them, Intel & AMD are dead to me as long as DRM is inside, but what choice do I have now for a new computer? Thank goodness there is no reason to upgrade.

Very true sorti, i mean i still have my crappy a$$ AMD Thunderbird with a 1.2 Ghz Processor and it works just fine. All I play is Diablo2, Counter Strike and some other games that have a good game play experience. In Fact 99% of the software still works on my computer. Needbe to upgrade to the fastest processor out there stuff will still work on that computer for the next 4-5 years.:wink:

Very true sorti, i mean i still have my crappy a$$ AMD Thunderbird with a 1.2 Ghz Processor and it works just fine. All I play is Diablo2, Counter Strike and some other games that have a good game play experience. In Fact 99% of the software still works on my computer. Needbe to upgrade to the fastest processor out there stuff will still work on that computer for the next 4-5 years.:wink: