HP readying the first "Ultrabook" notebook computer

HP readying the first “Ultrabook” notebook computer.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/07/cLqghc.jpg[/newsimage]If Tawain-based component suppliers are to be believed (and they often are) it appears HP is getting ready to launch the first two models of Intel's Ultrabook concept laptops.  HP's offerings look to be beating the UX21 made by Asus out of the gate.  The UX21 is due in September so that means the HP machines might just make store shelves this summer.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/hp-readying-the-first-ultrabook-notebook-computer-48331/](http://www.myce.com/news/hp-readying-the-first-ultrabook-notebook-computer-48331/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The question to me is why do people flock to tablets like sheep when laptops like this are already available (better than these, actually). Dell’s latest XPS laptop is currently the thinnest laptop in the world at about .8 or .9 inches at its thickest part, it has a built in optical drive (unlike all the other ultra thins), and is available with a quadcore i7 processor. That’s what makes sense to me; an ultra thin laptop with a keyboard, an optical drive, lots of input/output ports (including HDMI), and it closes to protect that LCD display. I’ll take that over a tablet anyday.

Laptops are for work.
Tablets are for play.
for the vast majority of the population which just consume content, whether it is videos, music, internet web-pages, looking at emails, pdfs, word org excel documents, tablets are fine.

You can’t make any of the above on a tablet. You need a real computer for content creation. That last comment automatically excludes macs, because macs are to computers what tonka toys are to real trucks. :stuck_out_tongue:

You need to be @ .8/.9" if you want to include optical drives. Sony tried and failed to get significant market share with ultra thin laptops. It’s certainly not worth the premium to have light weight vs value for the $$. Tablets satify much of the demand for ultra-portable computing, right along with smart phones. Content creation is an application that consumers will PAY EXTRA for $$, which is a niche market at this moment in time.

That said, HP has put their “weight” behind bad ideas before and this is proably another one. However, since the massive consolidation in PC brands, they’re big enough to take a bath on this and keep on ticking… so god speed to this failure venture. Probably fire the people who cost HP a few MIL. to take a bath on thin laptops. Should have at least tried to make a hybrid like the motorola Xoom first, but at even lower price points. Hp is just too greedy, but this one WILL backfire.

While thinner tablets are useful due to holding them in use, I don’t really see any advantage to thinner laptops other than for those who need to save space in their briefcase or carry bag when travelling.

Personally, I’d prefer a lighter laptop over a thinner one. For example, if one had two laptops, one 0.8" thick, 1.3kg and the other 1.2" thick, 0.9kg, but identical in every other way (performance, RAM, screen size, runtime, etc.), while the thinner one would free enough space for let’s say an 80 page notebook, the lighter one would mean less weight to carry.

[QUOTE=Seán;2596902]While thinner tablets are useful due to holding them in use, I don’t really see any advantage to thinner laptops other than for those who need to save space in their briefcase or carry bag when travelling.

Personally, I’d prefer a lighter laptop over a thinner one. For example, if one had two laptops, one 0.8" thick, 1.3kg and the other 1.2" thick, 0.9kg, but identical in every other way (performance, RAM, screen size, runtime, etc.), while the thinner one would free enough space for let’s say an 80 page notebook, the lighter one would mean less weight to carry.[/QUOTE]
Assuming the same case composition & components required for laptops of the same specifications, the thinner laptop is lighter & cheaper to produce :wink:

Altenately, the thicker laptop is easier to cool … something for manufacturers to consider :wink: