HP Pavillion notebook - optical drive disappeared

My friend has an HP Pavilion ZD7058CL notebook. It’s got a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive (an LG GCC-4241N).

I’ve no idea how she did it, but the CD disappeared from Windows Explorer (she’s running XP Home). Windows Device Manager reported “error 39”. Deleting the device, then running XP_CD-DVD-Fix got the drive back.

Now, however, it no longer automagically detects CDs or DVDs. The only way to get them mounted is to go to the drive’s properties page in Device Manager, click on the Volumes tab, and click the Populate button. (Autorun, although enabled in the registry, doesn’t work either.)

A gal from HP suggested I boot from a Windows XP CD and use the “repair” option.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make the drive work properly?

Follow the HOW TO link in my sig.

The links in my post are to the Microsoft Knowledge Base article you reference in your sig, and to a piece of VBScript code that removes the “UpperFilters” and “LowerFilters” values from that particular registry key (actually, it renames them if it finds them).

In other words, that’s already been done.

As I stated, the problem now is that Windows doesn’t recognize that a disc is in the optical drive unless one goes to the drive’s properties page in Device Manager (or to disk management in the administrative tools).

The way it ought to work is, one inserts a disc, clicks on the drive in Windows Explorer, and Explorer displays the disc’s contents.

It’s not doing that. That’s the problem.

Then your Os installation is bugg0red.