HP Pavilion zv5213EA Notebook

vbimport

Hi Guys !

My problem to me seems simple, but getting a straight answer out of HP has proved to be impossible.

My niece has a HP Pavilion zv5213EA Notebook (part of the ZV5000 series), its had very light use, no gaming etc, just the odd college project/letter.

XP shows the CD/DVD unit (Toshiba ODD - DVD SD R6252) but it will not read any disk type be that audio, data or bootable.

I clean installed XP via a thumb drive to eliminate a corrupted OS on more than one occasion - the OS is fine - so I’ve accepted that the unit is kaput, however trying to get a new or used drive is proving difficult - the quoted HP part number 350208-001, is both scarce and relatively expensive.

So I thought that a line to HP.com and ask for alternative makes and models that would fit would be a logical step - wrong !

After numerous e mails I’m still none the wiser, I’m passed from one department to the other and told to phone a ‘premium line’ number which I refuse to do.

So can anyone tell me what alternative make and model would fit into this laptop please, the spec is :-

HP part number: - 350208-001

Its a IDE DVD-ROM/CDRW Drive

24x CD-ROM read

8x CD-R write

8x CD-RW write

8x DVD ROM read

TIA

Optima

Any stock DVD (slim) device should fit according to these measurements (http://pchub.com/uph/laptop/337-22141-4634/Toshiba-SD-R6252-Bare-DVD-RW-Writer.html) but you will get a front bezel mismatch.
//Danne