Hp pavilion 541c crashing

vbimport

I appreciate any help I can get. My computor freezes constantly, especially when I try to burn a downloaded tv show. It freezes even when nothing is being used. I have tried everything, even though i don’t know that much about computers, I read up & like to fix things myself. I knew my RAM was low so I upgraded it through crucial.com, & followed all the right steps to install that, It shows that there is more memory now but that apparently wasn’t the problem. I have Norton 360 & I have run registry scans & keep it updated, I also have run uniblue speed up my pc, uniblue disc rescue, & driver scanner. I have even tried something called spinrite hard drive diagnostics test. I don’t know what else to do. I have Windows xp professional. If someone can help me fix this, I would love to make it up to you somehow, I have an ebay store, & could send you something to show my appreciation. I’m running out of options, Please help! Thank you!:rolleyes::confused::doh::iagree:

If the original ram was going bad, adding more won’t help. Try running Memtest 86+ for a few hours. It is a program that runs outside of Windows…you boot into the disk or the usb drive. You can find it here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso Download the iso in zip form, unzip the ISO and then burn it to a blank cd with your normal burning program, or use ImgBurn, which is a free burning program.

Put it in the drive, reboot the machine and let Memtest run for a few hours at least. Overnight is better. You should see NO errors while running Memtest.

If the computer is not set up to boot from a cd or dvd, you’ll have to change the boot order in the bios of the computer. Look at your computer manual for instructions on getting in the bios.

The next thing to look at is your temperatures while running the computer. Examine the heatsink on the cpu, and see if it is clogged with dirt. Get a can of compressed air and blow out any dust you can find. Don’t let the fans freewheel when you blow air…it can damage the bearings, so turn off the computer and hold the fan blades in place with a finger when blowing out dust.

If you have an Intel processor, you can use Real Temp to monitor temperatures. http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Do you have any crash reports? Look in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

I looked up the specs on the HP 541c. It uses an Athlon XP cpu, so doesn’t look like you can use Real Temp.

This is an older machine, so you might want to inspect the capacitors on the motherboard and see if you can find any that are bulging out, or leaking. This was a fairly common problem in machines from that era.

Thank you Kerry56! I forgot to note that any program that i run, if it doesn’t freeze, than the computer goes to blue screen & shows shut down to prevent damage to the system. Thanks for a quick answer & God Bless!

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2456469]I looked up the specs on the HP 541c. It uses an Athlon XP cpu, so doesn’t look like you can use Real Temp.

This is an older machine, so you might want to inspect the capacitors on the motherboard and see if you can find any that are bulging out, or leaking. This was a fairly common problem in machines from that era.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn’t reply to this right the first time. I appreciate your direction on helping me fix my computer. I will take the following steps you listed first.