HP o/c worked! Just not well

vbimport

I tried upgrading my HP 8200 (4x4x24) to a 9300 (10x4x32). I know it’s a bit of a drastic change, but the drive was just sitting around useless, so I figured what could it hurt. The flash went well and neroinfotool reports all the new capabilities. Wrote succesfully at 10x and then opened nerocd speed. On the HP, scandisc shows all green except the last sector, which is bad (doesn’t support damaged). I didn’t trust the results, so I tried it in my generic cdrom drive, which surprisingly does support damaged sectors. Came up as 97% damaged, the last sector still damaged, and a single good sector near the end.

Not to worry, I have the 8200 firmware which I am going to flash back. But does anyone have a 9100 series firmware in .bin format? And also, which was the first HP writer to have buffer underrun prevention technology? Even if I have to stick at 4x, the buffer underrun protection would be a nice additional feature. The drive is supposed to be based on a Sony model, which one and what was the first sony to have buffer underrun prevention?

At the end of the first paragraph, I meant the last sector was still BAD in the generic cdrom drive, not DAMAGED. Damaged doesn’t register in my brain as “bad but readable”. So yeah the last sector is always bad.

How do you tell what type of drive is rebadged?

I’ve got an HP 8x4x32 SCSI internal, and it’s just sitting…
would like to try out and see if it’s overclockable to a
12x4x32 SCSI rating…

Do you have to take it apart to find the chipset
and that’s how you know?

Or is there some way to tell by viewing firmware?

There was some info at cdrinfo.com about it that said it was based on a Sony. Plus, I had to use the Sony flash tool to flash it so makes sense to me.

I think the CRX160E/A1(12X8X32) was the last not to have buffer underrun prevention technology.

Now I really wish my HP8200a 4/4/32 with the 4MB buffer hadn’t fried. :frowning:

Hya,
I still have a Hp 9100i (oc´ed to 9300i) is there any fwirmware update for Sony CRX160E/A1(12X8X32) out? i would love to try this out… :wink:

Did you try here?
http://www.firmware.fr.st/

yeah but there are only updates for Sony CRX-140E, CRX-175E and CRX-700E

FiReKiLL: I have an old HP9100. I would appreciate a link to the files/instructions/previous thread that I missed for flashing it with the 9300 firmware. (It’s not as simple as running the 9300 flash from hp.com on my 9100, is it?)

I also have an 8200, but that’s in an external USB form, and I’m not sure what overclocking it would do to its USB abilities (and being able to use it as an external drive is more important than making it a faster internal-only drive).

Thanks.

Before you flash the 9300 firm please find a way to back up the original 9100! I want that firmware!

I have 9100_10c.bin (HP 9100i) 9300_10c.bin (for Hp 9300i)
just send me mail or pm with your email addy and i will send it to you… incl. the flashtool…

its not possible to use the firmware from hp.com

a you cannot wirte faster than 4x with a nomal usb-drive because the usb bus is too slow… :wink: so better dont try out this.

I need HP CD-Writter plus 8200i firmware 1.0f. Can you send it to me?. oadxys@hotmail.com
Thanks!

I,m dsperate I tried to upgrade my 8200 with crx140 firmware. Now driver is dead (even no light) and if I try to flas I receive DRIVE_BUSY message any suggestion on next steps I should take (a part from crying?) thks for your help

Originally posted by oadxys
I need HP CD-Writter plus 8200i firmware 1.0f. Can you send it to me?. oadxys@hotmail.com
Thanks!

I have an HP CD-Writter plus 8200i drive with firmware 1.0f. Can you send me the utility for backup it so I can give it to you. Also I want to upgrade to firmware 1.0g.

Originally posted by gaston
I have an HP CD-Writter plus 8200i drive with firmware 1.0f. Can you send me the utility for backup it so I can give it to you. Also I want to upgrade to firmware 1.0g.

Thank you for your interest, but I believe that the recorder is “dead”, because when I tried to upgrade the firmware something was wrong. Now the Bios doesn’t recognize it, for what would not know how to return to the original firmware 1.0f.

The utility for backup and upgrade the firmware is Mtkflash:

http://dhc014.rpc1.org/mtkflash.htm

Originally posted by gaston

I’ll try to give A very quick rundown here:

• download DOS boot floppy maker, unzip it somwhere on your hard disk and run it in Windows to make a boot floppy.

• download Mtkflash.zip and the binary file you want to flash (make sure it’s for your drive!!!) unzip them and copy to the diskette.

• Boot your machine from the floppy, at the A:> type:

MTKFLASH X W /B filename.BIN

only instead of the X should be:

1 - if the drive is master on primary IDE

2 - for slave on primary

3 - master on secondary

4 - slave on secondary

(Not sure how your drive is connected?)

and instead filename type the EXACT name of the binary file. (Zero is not the same as letter O)

Be VERY precise with spaces!

• Hit the Enter and wait till process is finished. Remove floppy and reboot

Good luck!

• If the system refuses to boot because drive is unrecognizable try pressing F4 to continue. If that’s no good go to the Bios and disable the drive / set the IDE channel where the drive is to “None”. Or: Shut down, open the case, disconnect the power lead from the drive and then boot. Reconnect just before flashing.

Backing up your firmware with Mtkflash

Use this command line to make a single file binary backup of the firmware:

MTKFLASH X R /M /B anyname.BIN

Where X is the port number as above. Chose any file name uo to 8 characters.

This file will be written to the same location Mtkflash is, so make sure the diskette has at least 128 Kb free or 256Kb for the ltd165 drive.